Quake 1.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 1.5?

Do you believe a fan made remake or sequel of quake is viable?

AKA; Quake 1.5, or something like that.
    twitch
    wew lad

This again?

Yes.

If there was enough coordination, skills and backing I'm sure this should happen fairly easily...

What concerns me would be if it was made would anyone (but us here at QuakeOne.com) care about it?

There are very few games that come out of nowhere made by "hobbyist" that ever make it big.

I don't see it really turning into anything more then just a big Quake 1 expansion pack unless it's done right and properly. I don't think Id would appreciate this happening either.

There's basically already Quake 1.5, have you seen all the cool stuff here on QuakeOne.com and other Quake related sites? It's staggering!

What would be your definition of a remake?
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Oh, there is a lot of amazing content and I don't want to knock anybody's work.

But I literally meant a coodrinated effort to produce a "new" game using the engine.

As far as a remake, although I was using the term loosely, I'd want to see a far more coherant quake. Single player wise anyway, but it's all a bit pointless I suppose.

Or something that takes the premise of quake and creates a new game from it.

I don't see why this wouldn't potentially happen, but I also see why it woudn't.

I suppose I'm being naive about it all really. But still, a new game or experience that carries from the original quake would be nice. (Perhaps I should just put down my ideas from now on into a project, and if it becomes anything worth mentioning I'll share it with the community.)
      twitch
      wew lad

Comment

people could always take the already amazing shamblers castle mod for doom3 and expand on it
        Shamblers Castle mod for Doom III - Mod DB

it could use andrew jolls shamblers instead of the ugly 'shamber X doom3 hellknight' thing it has now

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...drew-joll.html

and tabuns superb enforcer model

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...-enforcer.html

and perhaps one could implent teamonsters amazing ogre which would fit perfectly among the monsters of the mod in terms of quality

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...placement.html

ruohis grunt-, fish- and spawn- models

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...-monsters.html

or perhaps Moo's models for grunt or player:

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...n-choices.html
        http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...yer-model.html

and mayhaps one could continue on the shub-model that ruohis started on but never finished,
        which he included in this pack of WIP-stuff he made but never finished

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...ect-files.html

the mod includes a version of doom3 zombie already which is perfect

and the mod already includes the scrag, fiend and shalrath which are all fully coded and animated and all,
        the one which were also ported to DP by OoPpEe http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...axe-added.html

and one could use ruohis models for all pick-ups and powerups

not much more you'd need to expand this mod into a complete new quake-game,
        pretty much only knight and DeathKnight would have to be made.

and it would of course need maps

but my thought is: why start from scratch if you could take that doom3 mod and expand on it, and save yourself 50% of the work on monsters and such
        why re-invent the wheel when someone already invented it, right?

and perhaps you could merge some of sikk-mod's graphical features into it
        Last edited by talisa; 12-01-2013, 11:33 AM.
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

If you follow Hollywood's lead you'll see ANYTHING can be remade, over and over and over ad nauseam. It's so bad nowadays they simply call it "rebooting" the series, as in... let's "milk the same ole cow" from future generations rather then create new and original artistic works!

Now, even though that sounds harsh, it is not applicable to fan made works. As they are usually born out of "love", or passion, versus huge box office profit$. A good example of this is the masterpiece remake of HL1 that is[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2TI4KWbYFs"] Black Mesa: Source[/ame] That's a comparison 'tube video. Entire walkthroughs in HD are easily found. NOTE: I believe it took EIGHT years to accomplish that!!!

As with the OP, I to find myself wanting to design/create a more immersive Quake experience. While at the same time keeping the original gameplay mostly intact. That way it still feels like Quake. But with extra "bells and whistles" that would add to the experience rather than detract.

There seems to be Quake loyalist's that would frown on such a thing and that's where, if they are included in your target audience, you'll need to be careful with gameplay/design changes. Remember, Quake is not a very "cerebral" game! Other than a few simple puzzles, and finding colored keys in inane locations, YOU run around and shoot things. In this day and age, the lure to go beyond that is strong. But be forewarned that... if you fall for that it will not be "Quake" anymore.

Given the "right" artistic vision, skills, motivation and dedication of course it's possible. Anyone who claims otherwise simply cannot see around themselves! It happens all the time! Of course the inverse is true as well, it FAILS all the time to

- damage_
          Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Originally posted by damage_inc View Post
            As with the OP, I to find myself wanting to design/create a more immersive Quake experience. While at the same time keeping the original gameplay mostly intact. That way it still feels like Quake. But with extra "bells and whistles" that would add to the experience rather than detract.

There seems to be Quake loyalist's that would frown on such a thing and that's where, if they are included in your target audience, you'll need to be careful with gameplay/design changes. Remember, Quake is not a very "cerebral" game! Other than a few simple puzzles, and finding colored keys in inane locations, YOU run around and shoot things. In this day and age, the lure to go beyond that is strong. But be forewarned that... if you fall for that it will not be "Quake" anymore.
            - damage_
            This sums my view of a project up nicely.

And I think I'm going to make this happen. I don't see any reason why it can't be done.

But Talisa, as great as that is, it's just quake 1 done prettier. We already have quake 1 done prettier and you're effectively proving this. But I would want to see more, more monsters, more weapons, more maps and more fun. (Though I'm also guessing you're posting this to show that the resources exist and could be implimented into a new/expanded/<whatever> quake game.)

____

Well, I'm going to have an interesting portfolio when I go to university. c:

I'm going to write up a design doc and tag it in my sig over the next few days I think. I'm awful at writing design docs, but oh well. Practice makes perfect, right?
            twitch
            wew lad

Comment

yush, the point of my post was to point out the resources for a fan-remake already exist
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Hmm,

making quake all non quakey doesnt make for new players, and it actually alienates the purists.

new players will still nitpick that it is not as good as (insert nex-gen game here),
                and ultimately try to compare it to halflife/quakelive.

Quake (1), in my head, is split into two game-styles, singleplayer and multiplayer. Multiplayer is fast and competitive. Single player is, hmm, sequential.

Mods though like In the Shadows really are the light at the end of the tunnel imho for modern quake experiences.

True to the core gfx standard, with modern hardware stability; (pretty much what MH has always been saying )

k i think im rambling..
                Last edited by R00k; 12-02-2013, 10:24 PM.
                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

But I would want to see more, more monsters, more weapons, more maps and more fun.
                  Nehahra? - Quake 1.5
                  Quoth? - Quake 1.6
                  Drake? - Quake 1.7
                  In The Shadows? - Quake 1.8
                  Qung Fu - Quake 0.0000000001 Delta ( lol )

What is it that you are trying to mentally invent that isn't already these things?
                  Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-04-2013, 08:44 PM.
                  http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

MadGypsy

I think you actually have a particularly good point, I suppose I'd just want to make a quake game at heart. But I'm starting to think that it's a pretty shitty idea.

But if I made a game in the same spirit of quake then I wouldn't be restricted. I think you've just given me some ideas.

And again, happy birthday man
                    twitch
                    wew lad

Comment

Hello OMacKnight,

I think it can be said, that there are more Quake mods and especially maps, that you can ever play.

The Quaddicted page has all the maps (and in a hidden folder also the mods). Chipīs Quakewiki and Quake terminus have the mods with detailed descriptions.

Quake is a game with so many goodies, that you simply do not "need" a new addon.
                      And every month a new great map is born or new replacements are done.
                      Which is the great thing for Quake fans.

Making a Quake 1.5 is more work than you might think and cannot be done easily.

Best wishes,
                      Seven

Comment

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC item ?
                        the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Heh, good reads. I am in love with Quakeone.com Just saying, I myself have gotten back into Quake 1 again, I should not have deleted my previous downloads I had a nice high-res pack going on. I'm also on a Dated 2009 Mac Mini and have been trying out different combinations of add-ons to DarkPlaces to Make for a Modern Quake Experience that I want to relive and play Quake from start to finish, and than play Hipnotic again and I never had Rouge back in circa '98/99? but somewhere along the line I had gotten it on ebay or stole it from gamestop, not sure, but I get to play that one too!
                          That said, A Quake Sequel has definitively happened via the Mission Packs, and most notable mentions of Beyond Belief and Zeoresto. the "unofficial" missions at that time. and as stated any high quality add-on single player maps are still holding true to form as innovative and challenging as the first time I had played the Grisly Grotto and being scared of the Scrags in the water feeling helpless.
                          I remember the first ideas of the original Re-Texture projects and I belive I made the muddy doorjam texture that goes between the jagged base doors/ a locked cog box texture and the exit sign. I found that to be a great community project to keep the game alive and looking just as good as any game that came out at that time. But as I have been rebuilding my ideal quake darkplaces and trying out new skins and models I have been having issues with some skins looking very pale or unlike what I have envisioned some of these creatures to look like. I can not recall the name of the artist but the pack that comes with the epsilon download has a great concept and most the monsters looks great, but the grunt looks odd with hollow black eyes and the fiend looks like a naked man and the skin is very light, and somethings a little off with the zombies too. but the vore and bosses and ogre are insane and look great! but I am of course the archetype of the Vanilla Quake Purest, I want that old feel w/o the muddy OLD feel, but with that crispy new life and consistent theme.
                          I think it would be cool to see a 2014 mission pack. Maybe some custom scripts? cutscenes? 1 or 2 new monsters? build it for DP or other modern quake clients and use modern map making techniques too of course. maybe revisit a few classic maps and see how over grown or run down places have become?
                          this person brings up a valid point that we sometime dont like seeing other versions of characters that we may have visioned looking "BETTER" looking like something else. Kawaiik
                          but what I also find amusing is the hit or miss world of games that we live in too. or maybe its the volume of community. but as far as I have seen, take Quake 4 for example. there is nothing for it. no one played the multiplayer cause everyone who was addicted to deathmatch were still playing Quake 3 Arena. and then theres Quake Wars, and from what I have seen/saw a year ago I found PC copies at biglots for $5 or $10. just a HUGE lot of them. and when you search the torrent for Quake Wars no one is seeding it. its so bad people don't even want to pirate it? but now, I circle back to Quake 4, while it held a very close flame to quake 2 similar enemies and evolved types. I have to say, being more of a Quake 1 Fan, I was very jelly of that, but deep down, the lack of story Q1 had and the nostalgia it brings I am glad there was never a sequel for it.
                          Sorry I just wrote a book. But given my current process of gaming that is how I currently see it. -not to mention, I have seriously JUDGED every FPS on a scale of 1 to Quake. and let me tell yah, Quake is a seriously HIGH bar to compete with. the closest games that came close were F.E.A.R. and Doom 3. GG!

Comment

Working...
                          X