Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make EXEs for Darkplaces?

Hiya,
    I originally asked how to get Malice total conversion pack working under Darkplaces.

Quake - Malice thread

A very kind forum member linked an .exe file he had made which had an icon, and used the .PAK files from the conversion/ expansion.

This worked beautifully and I want to learn how to make them myself. I have all these mod like Zer and total conversions like Xmen Quake that I want to play, each with their own .PAK files and would be cool if I knew now to just whip up a file to play them.

Would anybody know how to do this? I found a program how to convert Bat to Exe. I haven't tried it yet but I assume that's one way. Mostly, what code would need to be in there to link; ei: Malice/PAK0.PAK files, and still use id1/PAK0.PAK.

Just to note, I am not a programmer but I figure if I know code, I could copy paste and just change the destination URL to look in the right places, like the Malice folder.

Thanks for taking an interest and looking forward to a reply!

Sincerely,
    Ed

darkplaces.exe -quake -game malice
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

by changing the engine's sourcecode and then recompiling.
      Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
        by changing the engine's sourcecode and then recompiling.
        like spike said, yeah, if you are using darkplaces with minGw is very easy
        the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

or.... you could just make yourself a bat-file to run the mod

*open notepad
          *on the first line in notepad, write darkplaces.exe -quake -game malice (or for example for zerstorer, you would put darkplaces.exe -game zer )
          *click 'file' > 'save as'
          *in the save window at 'save as type', select 'all files *.*'
          *save your file as a .bat file, like in this example you'd save it as malice.bat

double-click the bat-file you saved to run it, and voila

ive made bat-files for every mod i have myself this way
          Last edited by talisa; 03-20-2014, 07:22 AM.
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by Edwooger View Post
            Hiya,
            I originally asked how to get Malice total conversion pack working under Darkplaces.

A very kind forum member linked an .exe file he had made which had an icon, and used the .PAK files from the conversion/ expansion.

This worked beautifully and I want to learn how to make them myself. [...] and would be cool if I knew now to just whip up a file to play them.
            [...]
            Would anybody know how to do this? I found a program how to convert Bat to Exe. I haven't tried it yet but I assume that's one way.

Hello Edwooger,

Your question is not related to the Darkplaces or another engine.

Like Nahuel said:
            You need 1 command line (which is usually written in .bat files) which is read by every engine.

The only tool you need (which was also used by the kind user, that you mentioned) is a 'BAT to EXE converter'. There are many freeware converters (simply use google, it found this one: F2KO Software´s Bat To Exe Converter 1.6).
            Use that mod specific line in your 'Bat to Exe converter' and add an icon of your choice. You will be lead through the program process via a nice gui.
            Let the tool create the exe and put it into your Quake folder.

Result is:
            You can either double click the bat file or the exe file.
            Both ways will start the mod of your choice.

Best of luck,
            Seven

Comment

Hi and thanks for sharing the program.
              The .bat file works and I'm using Malice to test all this. Unfortunately, it does the same thing. Certain mechanics are missing from the Mods. In Malice is the scuba gear, Zer it's the key in level 2. I know Malice works because the .exe file I was given fixes this glitch.

So what is different? Is there a way around this?

Many thanks,
              Ed

Comment

the bug in zerstorer with the key is a known bug

seven once made a work-around for it once.
                http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...tml#post142201
                Last edited by talisa; 03-20-2014, 02:56 PM.
                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Working...
                X