How many mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many mods?

How many Quake mods could I download on to my computer? My local disk C has a total size of 9.76 GB. My local disk D has a total size of 2.95 GB. I'm asking you this question because I don't think that my computer could store an "infinite" number of mods. It is a funny question, but it is practical (to a degree).
    "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

depends on the kind of mods i suppose
    there's ones which are purely QC, and theres ones which also come with new models and textures and such.

QC-only mods only take up a few kb cuz all that they are a is a single progs.dat, but mods which also come with new enemies and such can be much bigger.

like drake-mod is 20mb.... but thats a quite big mod, it contains a ton of new models and such

so... 3GB? you can fit a ton of mods on that
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

About 42.
      Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

That's all you have left? You need a bigger HD. I have a 1TB drive and only got 225GB used up. Although i dont put a bunch of garbage or unwanted things on my HD, i have a storage i pay for to store important things such as quake.

How big is you're drive?

Comment

My local disk C has a total size of 9.76 GB. My local disk D has a total size of 2.95 GB
          lol What are you using for a hard drive... a partitioned USB card?

About 42.
          The answer to life the universe and everything, gg.

That's all you have left?
          He said total size. Twice. I'm guessing he has an old 386 with some ancient Western Digital drives.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

if that's his total disk size, and he's running windows7, then I'm going to guess at about -25gb worth...
            the bigger mods are about 50mb. they'd be smaller if they were stored in pk3s instead.
            you can easily get bigger mods if they contain lots of high res textures or whatever, but avoid that sort of junk and you can get many more mods instead.
            Some Game Thing

Comment

-25gb worth
              Well, he's halfway there. He only has 12.6 gigs. I'm gonna guess about 9gb worth. And not even that cause Win Virtual memory is gonna need a bunch of space.

You need a zip drive RL...LMAO

Then again you could just buy a lot of floppy disks (A
              Last edited by MadGypsy; 03-31-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

or spend $10 get a 16gb thumbdrive
                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Vocaroo | Voice message

that's my response
                  twitch
                  wew lad

Comment

If that were your available free space, then I'd have said "all of them".
                    Scout's Journey
                    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

or spend $10 get a 16gb thumbdrive
                      That doesn't stick with the theme of "shitty" though. That's clean and pat. He needs like 200 floppy disks and they all need to be set up in such a way that the computer frequently tells you to insert disk X.

[loading player.mdl... insert disk 42 in drive A:]

Comment

Oh, oh i get it... not only that but, it's fun to have oldschool mods on old school media.. so, Yes, break out some 1.44mb floppies formatted via ms-dos 6.22
                        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

hard drive actually still run a lot faster than usb 1, 1.1 and 2.0 most of those old school ones were 5400rpm way faster than USB

I have a 1999 laptop with win7 on it but it actually could handle gaming if you put 98 or 98 plus on it but the screen is TFT ugly blur to it for most games, okay for warcraft III RTS games. Runs flash video and vlc player way faster on 98 as well. Successfully got the video driver installed on win7 some reason still slow as hell even with win7 tweaked down to nothing

Comment

Working...
                          X