New Sound Pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sound Pack

Hi to all Slipgate travellers! I have made my own soundpack by mixing different sounds from Q3A, Q2, Doom 3 and so on. How can I download it to this forum for everybody?

you cant, since the sounds from those games are all COPYRIGHTED
    and thus are not allowed to be freely distributed

also it would be stretching it to call it a 'new' soundpack if you just compiled some sounds from other games instead of making your own sounds
    Last edited by talisa; 04-03-2014, 09:08 PM.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

So, I can't post this to all quakers despite I use this pack free and do not have reasons to earn money?

Comment

eyup, you got that right.

you cannot just distribute those sounds from those games just like that,
        regardless of wether you ask money for them or not
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

so sorry...seems like I have to use them only myself but your note about recording really new sounds rising me up maybe i should try this chance..
          In spite of it, thanks for your advising

Comment

Originally posted by Priest777 View Post
            so sorry...seems like I have to use them only myself but your note about recording really new sounds rising me up maybe i should try this chance..
            In spite of it, thanks for your advising
            get some pots and pans and rocks and medieval armor! and bang them around!

you could probably make a sound pack with brutal doom sound effects i think those were opensource sounds

Comment

Sound is the movement of air, so if you pass gas, and it sounds like a sound file from Q3, you can be put in jail for copyright infringement. Unless you were authorizd to use that sound , of course.

Originally posted by talisa View Post
              you cant, since the sounds from those games are all COPYRIGHTED
              and thus are not allowed to be freely distributed

also it would be stretching it to call it a 'new' soundpack if you just compiled some sounds from other games instead of making your own sounds

Comment

owww, guys. I got that, but..what bout this?
                http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...und-files.html
                There, Seven have used sounds from hexen/heretic? Is THAT legal?

Comment

Interesting this was brought up. I thought about this when I added some new sounds to my mod. Some were pulled from a sound effect website where permission was given to use them royalty free. The rest I pulled from Q2, Q3, and Q3TA. I figured since I can make a mod using Q1 sounds, id would be ok with a mod using sounds from their other games, especially after all their open source support...and the fact that these games are all 15+ years old and the lawsuit just wouldn't be worth it.

I think I am going to start thinking about making my own sounds though, to avoid any problems.
                  'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

yeah i doubt ID would give a crap about using sounds, but its still always nicer either way to use own sounds

using own sounds makes your mod more unique,
                    and although it is fun to hear sounds you might recognise from other games its always more nice to hear unique sounds in a mod

Comment

id's old open source licenses pertain only to code. Sound files are media, assets. They are proprietary. These game sounds usually stem from commercial sample packs that id, in turn, had to license to use in their games. They probably could not relicense those sounds to you even if they wanted.

id might not even hold the copyright of most of the sounds.

Also to put this in perspective, it is not really an achievement to rip a few wav files from some games. Distribute them? Not legal.

If you give your sound pack privately to friends via Skype or something, it can't really be controlled, and in some countries that would even be a grey area. Shouldn't really distribute them on a website though.

Regarding sounds from Hexen etc, I'm not sure what the license is there. But I'd assume using them in different games isn't very legal either.

Good sources for shooter sounds might be the Nexuiz sound pack by Tenshihan (GPL) and pages such as freesound.org. You can also sometimes find sounds from failed game projects etc. online with permissive licenses, eg Golgotha is one such project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golgotha_%28video_game%29
                      Scout's Journey
                      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

please can you advice me a good sound mod except EpiQ and Mindgrid, i've looked throught several quake forums and got no idea what to do. In generally i can make such a mod myself (of course i did the same) but is there another mods like mine? I'm so interested because it would be funny to take some sounds and voices from them to listen in game.
                        And a VERY BIG QUESTION about sshot sounds for Q1. There are two sounds of ss with reloading (clicking) - original and mindgrid's also. That's all. Taking such sounds from another games has only shooting sound without any reloading or clicking. Can i find this shit anywhere in spite i can mix sounds myself?
                        Last edited by Priest777; 04-07-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

@priest777
                          audacity allows you to do stuff like putting two sounds together.
                          Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

ive also did this myself when i made sound for the quake shotgun remake i did for second life. found a shooting sound, a cokcing sound, and put them together using audacity
                          http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...tml#post140232

about soundpacks:
                          yeah i think those are pretty much all there are, the epiQ, mindgrid's pack, and sevens improved sounds pack. afaik those are the only sound-packs there are for quake

PS. seriously!? the world coc king gets censored here?

Comment

Working...
                          X