Rage.quakeone.com 4/11/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rage.quakeone.com 4/11/2014

Wanna do some gibbing with MrsMindz and myself?

All day long off and on , CAx @ RAGE ! Come join the fun , get graped , etc etc

Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Sure. It's not like I have anything better to do today anyway.

Edit: I was playing a lil bit, but it looks like my dino laptop can't handle the many explosions. My FPS always dropped to 10-20 FPS, and the fact that I had a ping of 150 didn't help.
    T'was fun though. :3
    Last edited by Seekay; 04-11-2014, 05:17 AM.
    "I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns."

Comment

Originally posted by Seekay View Post
      Sure. It's not like I have anything better to do today anyway.

Edit: I was playing a lil bit, but it looks like my dino laptop can't handle the many explosions. My FPS always dropped to 10-20 FPS, and the fact that I had a ping of 150 didn't help.
      T'was fun though. :3
      Next time bro, we will play at NYCAX , I'm betting you would ping much much better

also, get DirectQ !

PM me if you need help with these things.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
        ...we will play at NYCAX ,....
        Let me know if you need any help (on the Admin side of things, extra maps, etc) at NYC, Mindz

Kind regards

Monty
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Rather touch buns

Comment

Originally posted by powerzord View Post
            Rather touch buns
            Pedozord @ your Service lol , seriously guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Seekay View Post
              I had a ping of 150
              Seriously, why do some people have really high pings and why do some people have really low pings? A few years ago, I played a deathmatch game against a guy and he had a really high ping (around 500). My ping was zero. We both had high speed connections, but we didn't have the same pings. How do you explain this? Is there a scientific answer? I don't mean to dance off-topic, but this is a tough issue for me. Can someone enlighten me?
              "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

WordNet Search - 3.1

It's the time it takes to send and receive information, it's separate from your download/upload speed.

Think of it like this, when you download something a bunch of files are thrown into your pc from a server, and say you have 5meg down. When you clicked the download link with a ping of 150 it took 150 milliseconds to tell the server that you want that file and for the server to send the info back.

In quake terms;
                Player 1 has 2ms ping. It takes 2ms for the server to recognise his input once it has left his pc.
                Player 2 has 200 ping, It takes 200 ms for him to fire back.

The scientific answer is simply that this data has to physically get to the server and back, it's separate from your download because once the download starts it's not actually sending more requests/information.

I'm not great at explaining things, but I hope that helped. (and if I'm wrong, can somebody correct me)
                twitch
                wew lad

Comment

Originally posted by OMacKnight View Post
                  WordNet Search - 3.1

It's the time it takes to send and receive information, it's separate from your download/upload speed.

Think of it like this, when you download something a bunch of files are thrown into your pc from a server, and say you have 5meg down. When you clicked the download link with a ping of 150 it took 150 milliseconds to tell the server that you want that file and for the server to send the info back.

In quake terms;
                  Player 1 has 2ms ping. It takes 2ms for the server to recognise his input once it has left his pc.
                  Player 2 has 200 ping, It takes 200 ms for him to fire back.

The scientific answer is simply that this data has to physically get to the server and back, it's separate from your download because once the download starts it's not actually sending more requests/information.

I'm not great at explaining things, but I hope that helped. (and if I'm wrong, can somebody correct me)
                  Bingo ! Except, this can be manipulated (metaphor) ever so slightly based on your personal settings. I won't bullshit you on why, I think that ....

Quake clients communicate Quake servers @ a predetermined rate, and the frames per second is tethered to what appears to be ping 60fps/72fps. In actuality (thanks r00k/MH) when you crank up your fps from a default,vsync, its adjusting how frequent the Quake client sends out that "Hey im here,this is my ping at any given moment you need to know!"

So, 72fps and below -> communication consistency is normal
                  I use 750/1000 fps in multiplayer and I witness what I presume to be a profound increase in responsiveness,ping is dropped sometimes a full 30+ milliseconds! I have tested this shit extensively, and only one client (aside from DarkPlaces, which takes way more effort than setting your FPS clientside,it needs some other cvar).... DirectQ from version 2.0 4-3 and onward, this was changed. MH was kind enough to make a internal adjustment on how this relationship between FPS and communication rate was tied together! If you had shitty internet, a Quake client that still has this tethering thing can flood your connnection out resulting in really high ping,excessive ping actually. Its literally saturating your upload and when the connection can't keep pace with in respect to the fps being used...

DirectQ now does not suffer from this, no matter if you are using 72fps or 7,200fps ~ it never floods the connection & offers the maximum potential of your computer Quaking experience.

Quake and Ping, its almost fn Magical bro.

Hopefully some one who can gut/clean/butcher a Quake client can pipe in with a less magical explanation, throw some technical jargon sprinkles on it for good measure.

If you wanna see this in action, fire up Quake connect to any server and set your fps to 72.
                  rocket jump around, navigate the map,DO STUFF and note the experience....

Then set your FPS to something way higher than 72 and do the same shit you did just now with 72 fps,and note the difference,its a huge difference.

I'm not satisfied with the explanation above,heehee.

Comment

just as mindz says - I've seen some nq clients basically flood servers, one client->server packet for each video frame.
                    which is a nightmare when you've got a decentish graphics card and 2000 fps.
                    most quakeworld servers will kick clients that do things like this... its bad for everyone.

its somewhat trivial to just not spam with an nq client. just... don't send it every single video frame (you may or may not want to do something about impulses synced with scripts and the wait command though, they can get messy).
                    the server doesn't need all that spam anyway.
                    flooding the network results in what's known as 'buffer bloat'. the router buffers your packets until it can forward them on. the more buffers you have between you on a slow connection, the worse it gets. The only alternative to it is for routers to just drop everything. YAY PACKETLOSS! packetloss will generally slow downloads by more, so that's not much of an option.
                    Some Game Thing

Comment

Dayum, I didn't expect that because of my little post, people would make giant walls of text. Also, sorry for causing all this Off-Topic.
                      Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX
                      also, get DirectQ !
                      Apparently all the official links to DirectQ are dead, and Google isn't really helpful either. Could anyone upload their DirectQ on Dropbox or something similar, please? (Ye I know Mind, you wanted me to PM you, but I finally wanna get these 10 posts together so I can edit my profile, also other people may help me as well :3).

Edit: Well now I feel stupid. Just found a thread (DirectQ Collection) which discussed that, and a link to the recent versions

Edit 2: Okay, those don't work for some reason, at all. But I guess I'll talk more about that on the DirectQ thread.
                      Last edited by Seekay; 04-13-2014, 11:29 AM. Reason: Being stupid, then realizing I was even more stupid
                      "I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns."

Comment

I see, thanks for the info
                        twitch
                        wew lad

Comment

Working...
                        X