Brutal Quake? (or equivalent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brutal Quake? (or equivalent)

I was wondering if there is a super gory and more extreme mod for Quake? Kinda like Brutal Doom... if you're not familiar, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89iszJNcKQw"]check it out[/ame].
    I know there are some mods that have added a bit of extra blood, but I really like how Brutal Doom went to the point of leaving the blood and bodies there, all dripping. Not to mention the extra gibbing, etc. As shallow as it sounds, it really did breathe new life into classic Doom for me.

I wonder if there's a parameter in Quake to make gibbing more have more particles and leave scarring?

Thinking out loud here and also asking.
    Last edited by mercuriusfm; 05-29-2014, 03:51 PM.
    http://MercuriusFM.com

Not to plug in advertisements or beat my own drum, but you need to check out the mod I'm working on. It's called RiftQuake, and is actually shaping up to be its own game loosely based on the Quake universe.

First and foremost, the gore you are looking for is/will be present. A lot has changed from what I've posted in the build thread, so everything you see there is basically me just warming up. Take the gore you see in the thread and increase it ten-fold. I've re-evaluated my methods in modeling and code writing to a point where I'm using more advanced engine extensions to make it more gruesome and action-packed.

Also present is a new arsenal, and eventually all new monsters and storyline. I've updated the very first post in the thread detailing all that.

Here's the link and few gruesome pics: RiftQuake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=eEPwGh7Jk6Y
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

needs more pools of blood.
      Some Game Thing

Comment

Hello mercuriusfm,

So, you want these things in your Quake:
        - pools of blood
        - extreme gore
        - "leaving the blood and bodies there, all dripping"
        - enemies with no mercy
        - extra gibbing (when shooting enemies as well as shooting corpses)
        - shocking moments (which is not for the faint hearted !)
        - ambience of pure horror

I do not know "Brutal Doom", but this is what you seem to like.
        Then yes, you can get what you want !

The perfect Quake mod for you is called: kleshik
        Please also look into this thread to read how to use/install it and some other important tips.

That mod is really gory and will not let you sleep well, after you played it for 1 hour (you have been warned... !)

This can be played as coop mod but also as single player mod.

2 random screenshots I made to give you a first glimps:

Have fun

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
          needs more pools of blood.
          Actually already dealt with that using the blood shower extension. There's a lot I've done since those pics, they just get the general idea across for now. I've picked apart a lot of the mod in certain areas so it's hard to show and tell with new pics at the moment. Gonna add flying guts and organ models with their own animations that will splat and cling to walls on impact. Also gonna add some custom blood pool/run/drip models. But I have to finish the weapons first, which is proving to be a huge job.

@Seven: the blood looks fantastic in that mod.

Comment

Hello Dutch,

It all depends on the used particlefont.tga.
            The particles (including the 'flying' blood particles) that you see in the 2 screenshots in above post are the particles from the SMC particlefont.tga.
            I do not use fully original kleshik, because I am a tinkerer, as you might have noticed already.
            Kleshik comes with a different particlefont.tga.
            Both are based on Nexuiz´s particlefont.tga though.

If you use particles in your mod as well (which you most probably will do), you should definitely also use an external particlefont.tga file (which can be higher resolution than original). And you can mix/edit/create custom particle textures together in it and finetune it to match the needs for your personal mod/likings.

Knowing that you want to be DP + FTE compatible at the same time with your mod, you need to use 2 different effect syntax. Spike implemented a translater for DP effect syntax, but it is not 100% working yet (I just tested and talked about it in the SMC thread).

But this becomes offtopic now...
            When you reached the point to work on particle effects for your mod, we can talk again in detail (I can only talk about DPs, as I am not too familiar with FTEs. But fortunately we always have Spike to support us in all respects )

Kind regards.

Comment

seven's SMC also allow making the game more gory by multiplying the amount of gibs through cvar, and the amount blood spawned through modifying the effectinfo.txt
              SMC also has an option to leave all gibs and corpses just laying around in the map forever.
              http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...mpilation.html
              they're in the autoexec.cfg supplied with the mod. you can just edit it with notepad or word or any text-editor

the line called 'set gibsmultiplier 1' sets how much gibs gets spawned
              and the line 'set gibsduration 0' sets how long corpses & gibs stay. set it to 0 to make em stay forever

you can make blood and decals also stay forever by simply adding a line to your autoexec.cfg
              which sets time that they stay to such an insanely high value that you'll never stick around in a map long enough to see them dissapear

just add cl_decals_time "10000" to your autoexec.cfg.
              thats 10K seconds or 167 minutes! doubt you'll ever stick around in any quake-map for almost 3hours

to adjust the amount of blood in seven's SMC, open the effectinfo.txt, and scroll down to line #4229, where you'll find this
              ///////////////////
              ///blood effects///
              ///////////////////

all the blocks below that are blood-effects. try decreasing the trail-spacing of them to make the amount of blood spawned higher,
              and iirc increasing velocitymultiplier will also create more blood. feel free to correct me on that if im wrong seven

seven's SMC is however not jsut all about gore, its a mod which revitalizes quake by adding features which enhance the game without changing gameplay,
              and all the features which it adds feel like they were supposed to be in the game. like enemies actually taking damage from being emerged in lava&slime,
              some enemies having new animations and sounds, ogres and zombies actually aiming up and down to hit you instead of them always firing straight-forward,
              completely redone particle-effects for the entire game, lots of new awesome-looking death-animations and effects, new effects added to powerups to make them feel cooler,
              and optional random enemy-replacements which perfectly fit in the game and add a bit of randomness to playing quake so that you wont encounter the exact same enemies each time you play a map

the SMC is to quake like dukeplus is to duke3D and like brutal doom is to doom imo,
              and its a must-try for everyone who loves SP quake

i dont play quake without the SMC anymore myself <3
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

ha! you guys are awesome. thanks talisa and seven. good luck dutch.

Comment

Attached 2 pics. (Yes, I like my pixels.)
                  This mod is pretty good, however I want to do some tweaks to it like you guys mentioned above regarding bodies and blood staying permanently.
                  Attached Files

Comment

@Seven

Thanks for the info! When it comes time, I will definitely be modifying that.

Originally posted by mercuriusfm
                    good luck dutch.
                    Thanks man. I hope it will live up to brutal doom, I've never played that mod before but it looks insanely gory, I love it.

Comment

Nice thread guys really busy though so I'm waiting on dutch's mod and the list of games I want to play is pilling up D:

Comment

Originally posted by Nickelbawker View Post
                        Nice thread guys really busy though so I'm waiting on dutch's mod and the list of games I want to play is pilling up D:
                        time to play some games man :3
                        My Avatars!
                        Quake Leagues
                        Quake 1.5!!!
                        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

There is a really sick move in Brutal Doom... Doom actually snaps a monster's neck. (I think that you have to use the fist option). I just discovered that move a few days ago... That's incredible! If I could express this concept as an equation, I would write: Classic Shooter + Mortal Kombat + UFC Fighting = Brutal Doom
                          "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

Working...
                          X