tyr-quake.exe has stopped responding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyr-quake.exe has stopped responding

Recently I got a new PC, everything is awesome except this one thing that is totally not awesome. On my old PC I was able to run TYR Quake perfectly, never had a problem. However my new PC doesn't seem to want to run it at all, it doesn't even come up with a detailed error message-- it just loads nothing but a black screen one second before showing the "stopped responding" window.

I've tried re-installing it and even re-installed the whole of Quake, but haven't seen any results. I've also tried using newer and older versions of TYR Quake to see if they may work, none have.

I'm not aware of any other engine that renders software mode with widescreen support and stays faithful. The only others I know of have some addons that I don't really want.

I think what may be causing this is my graphics card, I'm using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 on this PC whereas my other PC has an ATI card (forgot what it was called exactly).

I don't know what the exact error is, all it does is load a blank screen and pops up with the "stopped responding" window and says it can't find a solution. I've tried changing the compatibility settings too, but those haven't done anything.

EDIT: Sorry I posted it in Quake Central, I forgot about Quake Clients.

Did you just migrate your Quake folder? This can lead to really weird shit happening that can't be readily explained, trust me....I'm a stickler for moving my Quake folder to the new freshly installed OS or New PC and I eventually abandon it entirely for a fresh install.

that's my first thought. I figured your old PC and new PC both ran the same operating system,along with a ton of other similarities or else you would have mentioned discrepancy's between the two machines, beyond AMD/Nvidia video cards.

next time migrating stuff, only migrate the ID1 folder and do everything inside Quake root folder fresh out the oven.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Yeah, I did a fresh install and tried running TYR Quake, but it still wasn't working. And now I've also tried using WinQuake, JoeQuake, EzQuake and Engoo which all do the same thing TYR Quake does.

Yep, it uses the same OS so I figure it may have something to do with the graphics card.

Comment

try setting the compatibility mode to something like xp... older quake clients just dont work well with newer OS's.
        which is nice since hacked clients like Richmark are long gone !!
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Warlock View Post
          Yeah, I did a fresh install and tried running TYR Quake, but it still wasn't working. And now I've also tried using WinQuake, JoeQuake, EzQuake and Engoo which all do the same thing TYR Quake does.

Yep, it uses the same OS so I figure it may have something to do with the graphics card.
          Try updating your DirectX (both 9 and 11) , a fresh computer is most assuredly missing updates to both 9 and 11.As well as updated graphics drivers.

Also, verify DirectQ works. Windows OS + DirectQ = should run without any issue's.

If you can't get DirectQ running at minimum, it's beyond me.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
            try setting the compatibility mode to something like xp... older quake clients just dont work well with newer OS's.
            which is nice since hacked clients like Richmark are long gone !!
            Yeah, I tried all the OSes on compatibility mode.

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
            Try updating your DirectX (both 9 and 11) , a fresh computer is most assuredly missing updates to both 9 and 11.As well as updated graphics drivers.

Also, verify DirectQ works. Windows OS + DirectQ = should run without any issue's.

If you can't get DirectQ running at minimum, it's beyond me.
            Downloaded the latest versions of Direct X 9 and 11, graphics drivers are uptodate, still isn't working.

DirectQ works like a charm, I just preferred how Quake looks in software mode.

Comment

Use the commandline to launch tyrquake.exe, it should print out some stuff and hopefully the error.
              Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Ok, an error window came up saying: "W_LoadWadFile: couldn't load gfx.wad".

Comment

You do have an id1 folder (next to your executable) with pak0.pak and pak1.pak inside the id1 folder, right?

Long shot, but: is your Quake folder installed under the Program Files folder? It might be that some Quake engines play poorly with UAC when placed under those special Windows folders. If so, try putting it somewhere else (like under "C:\Games").

Comment

/FACEPALM

gfx.wad , that lovely txt file of console characters and , a shoddy + for the crosshair.

BULLSEYE CROSSHAIRS - QUAKE 1

That link will alleviate that nonsense you're dealing with,might even snag you a custom crosshair in the process too haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Law View Post
                      You do have an id1 folder (next to your executable) with pak0.pak and pak1.pak inside the id1 folder, right?

Long shot, but: is your Quake folder installed under the Program Files folder? It might be that some Quake engines play poorly with UAC when placed under those special Windows folders. If so, try putting it somewhere else (like under "C:\Games").
                      Yep, I actually made sure about those things, tried alternative directories and even different drives. I also have UAC disabled.

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                      /FACEPALM

gfx.wad , that lovely txt file of console characters and , a shoddy + for the crosshair.

BULLSEYE CROSSHAIRS - QUAKE 1

That link will alleviate that nonsense you're dealing with,might even snag you a custom crosshair in the process too haha.
                      Nope, it's still not starting and when attempting to start it through the command-line it does nothing but change the shape of the other windows I have open; which I guess means it's opening for a split second and has another resolution from my desktop's.

Comment

mindfield's suggestion is misleading, please do not install some random additional files.

W LoadWadFile : couldn't load gfx.wad - Quake Wiki

As Johnny said, make sure your OS is not interfering.
                        Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Hey that's a good wiki page. :-)

It could indeed be a "working directory" issue like that page says in item #1, if you're using a shortcut or batch file to launch Quake. I've noticed that DirectQ will ALWAYS look for id1 in the same directory as the DirectQ executable, regardless of what the working directory is (and it even ignores basedir arguments on the command line). So that could be an explanation for why DirectQ behaves differently from other engines in your setup.

Comment

It could be missing assets.
                            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                              mindfield's suggestion is misleading, please do not install some random additional files.

W LoadWadFile : couldn't load gfx.wad - Quake Wiki

As Johnny said, make sure your OS is not interfering.
                              There is NOTHING random about gfx.wad missing. I followed the smoke , cuz where there's smoke!

gfx.wad resides inside pak0.pak , it contains all console characters for Quake1 and on top of that, a stupid ass + symbol for a crosshair. Sure,maybe the solution I suggested came straight from the bowels of 2001-2003 style solutions,but hey!

Comment

Working...
                              X