Anyone play quake "wireless"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone play quake "wireless"?

Just wondering. My old XP desktop finally gave up its ghost. All we have are laptops, tablets and phones in the house now. Does anyone play wireless? And if so, is it like playing on an old 56k modem? We're just sporting a basic Linksys wireless-g router here in the East Tennessee hills. I suppose I just need to jump in there and give it a try...
    *I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
    sigpic

Originally posted by Dilligaf View Post
    Just wondering. My old XP desktop finally gave up its ghost. All we have are laptops, tablets and phones in the house now. Does anyone play wireless? And if so, is it like playing on an old 56k modem? We're just sporting a basic Linksys wireless-g router here in the East Tennessee hills. I suppose I just need to jump in there and give it a try...
    I do sometimes, it's not bad. It's always better to be wired so i bought myself a 50 ft cat6 network cable and run it across the floor from my kitchen table to my modem/router and play like that, however when i have company over i unplug the cable and play on WIFI. since you are in EAST TN try my new server's i just setup. Look at my signature for the IP.

Comment

Q1 wireless isn't completely horrible... though expect higher ping times and possible oddball times where it feels like nothing is stable while using a laptop that isn't geared for gaming.
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

wireless way better than 56k if your connecting to a router via wifi DSL/Cable/Fiber supplied internet.
        If you mean satellite or over-air internet thats shaky.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Just unplugged my cat6 cable and ran off WIFI, the only difference i see is my ping went from 22-28ms to 25-31ms on cax.quakeitup.com and of course my download speeds dropped from 105mbps down to 45mbps, That's about all i noticed, as for game feel nothing changed. However if you have anything blocking you're routing over wifi it can cause interruptions and you will lock up for a split second as if you were lagging out.

Comment

btw i used my wireless connection to update cax.quakeitup.com today if anyone was having any problems there this week.
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
              btw i used my wireless connection to update cax.quakeitup.com today if anyone was having any problems there this week.
              Yes indeed. We need a few to try and make sure it does not crash. The likely hood of it crashing now is unlikely because r00k is forever the man!

Comment

Playing games over a wireless internet connection is fantastic. You may not get the fastest speed possible though. Due to most can only get around 59mbps.

Test your internet speed here. http://www.speedtest.net/

If your ping is in a stable range. As in 20 Ping or lower along with 10Mbps download and around 2 to 3Mbps upload. You be able to host/join servers just fine over a wireless internet connection.

Also a 56k modem is nowhere near the Mbps you can get from a DSL/Cable/Fiber connection. A laptop wireless connection will go MUCH faster then a 56k, like I said up there, most laptops can reach around up to 59Mbps or even 70Mbps without a adapter.

Comment

Working...
                X