Quake Invasion Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Invasion Mod

Posted this in the WIP section but didn't get any replies, thought I'd post here as well in case people didn't see it.

I have an invasion mod in the works that's pretty functional at this point, however I'm not the strongest mapper so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me with that.

Some details about the mod:
    -Built on top of the singleplayer QuakeC code
    -Dynamic spawning of monsters based on spawner entities defined in the map
    -Support for up to 10 waves/rounds in a map
    -Customized monster spawning per wave supported
    -Multiplayer support in Darkplaces (perhaps others?)

Custom entities:
    inv_controller - Add this to a map to run the invasion code. Specify a wave_limit property to define how many waves should be run.

inv_spawn - Add these to the map to spawn monsters dynamically. Define spawns per wave using wave_N_monsterType (ex: wave_0_zombie-> 10 will spawn 10 zombies in the first wave).

Here's some early footage of the mod in action: http://a.pomf.se/kzxfop.webm
    Here's the latest in my test map: http://a.pomf.se/zbreka.webm

Youtube for people that can't watch the webm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI0QdcFjnSc

Here's the source/progs if anyone wants to play around. I made a test map in 30m that has a fun first wave and a really basic second wave: https://github.com/worleydl/QInvasion

Again, I've only tested this in darkplaces, I haven't had much luck with other clients.
    Last edited by thunderrump; 06-26-2014, 08:30 PM. Reason: Added youtube vid

The video links download an unusable file. You might try and film it through fraps and upload it to YouTube. But it sounds pretty cool, would like to see it in action.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Video just sits on the first frame for me, no matter how much time goes or by and regardless of where I manually put the seek head.
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Here's a youtube, sorry the webm isn't working for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI0Q...ature=youtu.be
        Last edited by thunderrump; 06-26-2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

The second webm link played for me, but the first one didn't. It says it's 30 hours long? Anyway, this looks pretty fun.

So, I tried making a map and running the mod, but I got an error:
          * progs.dat system vars have been modified.
          * progsdefs.h is out of date.

This means that you changed the defs.qc file the wrong way. You should add new fields (.wave_limit .wave_0_zombie) to the end of defs.qc (not in the middle, or the beginning). However, I did find that Darkplaces and FTE both don't care about the defs being different, so make of that what you will.

I found I couldn't use the same inv_spawn to spawn two different enemy types, but it wasn't mentioned that it should.

I would like to see an end-of-level display, before switching to the next level suddenly. Also, I'd recommend adding new messages about wave N starting; and for coop mode, have monster kills add frags to players.

I threw together a basic map so people can play it; here's the complete mod as of today: QInvasion. Make a QInvasion folder inside your quake folder, and put this stuff into there. The map name is qinv00.
          Last edited by Zop; 06-27-2014, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zop View Post
            The second webm link played for me, but the first one didn't. It says it's 30 hours long? Anyway, this looks pretty fun.

So, I tried making a map and running the mod, but I got an error:
            * progs.dat system vars have been modified.
            * progsdefs.h is out of date.

This means that you changed the defs.qc file the wrong way. You should add new fields (.wave_limit .wave_0_zombie) to the end of defs.qc (not in the middle, or the beginning). However, I did find that Darkplaces and FTE both don't care about the defs being different, so make of that what you will.

I found I couldn't use the same inv_spawn to spawn two different enemy types, but it wasn't mentioned that it should.

I would like to see an end-of-level display, before switching to the next level suddenly. Also, I'd recommend adding new messages about wave N starting; and for coop mode, have monster kills add frags to players.

I threw together a basic map so people can play it; here's the complete mod as of today: QInvasion. Make a QInvasion folder inside your quake folder, and put this stuff into there. The map name is qinv00.
            Whoa, thanks for the tips on defs. You *should* be able to define multiple monster types per spawner. In other words, if you define wave_0_ogre:10 and wave_0_zombie:10 for a single entity, it'll rotate between spawning both. I'll give your map a shot later today after work. Thanks for taking the time to mess around with it!

I need to figure out map changes, I'd like to support a maplist but I'm not sure that's possible. Also, I've noticed score tracking doesn't seem to be working for dynamically spawned enemies so I'll need to track that down as well.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Gave the map a shot really quick. I like the way monsters drop in but it needs some weapon/ammo drops for players to be able to complete it. Otherwise, pretty cool for a quick map.

The code I posted ships with a map called modules, I need to spec out extra waves but it's another map to try if you're playing around with the mod.

Comment

You guys should really stop using crap browsers!

webm works flawlessly with both chrome and firefox!

--//--

This could be a nice feature to integrate with other mods, like a "walking dead / infection" or just to make some bosses' areas of a map insanely hard!
                Last edited by vegetous; 06-27-2014, 08:11 AM.
                Fórum QuakeBrasil

Lots of Quake related stuff

Comment

Hello thunderrump,

Your mod sounds interesting.
                  When I was reading "monster spawn in waves", it reminded me of ezzetabi´s mod.
                  He also added a "horde" mode, with respawning monsters until a certain amount is reached to proceed to next level. You should take a look into his thread or read into his source (it is included). Maybe it inspires you somehow...

Recently Legend brought the genius dmsp2 mod on the table again, which lets you play all mutliplayer maps in single player mode and introduces monster hordes getting continuesly spawned into the map.

Maybe extend your code to also spawn new monsters from different positions rather than the same spots (variations makes it harder to brace yourself for the waves). Maybe from positions where previous monster died, to be sure to not get stuck in walls or spawn from weird positions.

Best of luck with your mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                    Hello thunderrump,

Your mod sounds interesting.
                    When I was reading "monster spawn in waves", it reminded me of ezzetabi´s mod.
                    He also added a "horde" mode, with respawning monsters until a certain amount is reached to proceed to next level. You should take a look into his thread or read into his source (it is included). Maybe it inspires you somehow...

Recently Legend brought the genius dmsp2 mod on the table again, which lets you play all mutliplayer maps in single player mode and introduces monster hordes getting continuesly spawned into the map.

Maybe extend your code to also spawn new monsters from different positions rather than the same spots (variations makes it harder to brace yourself for the waves). Maybe from positions where previous monster died, to be sure to not get stuck in walls or spawn from weird positions.

Best of luck with your mod.
                    Thanks for the feedback. I don't want it to be too random so players can have some idea of what to expect in a map once they learn the layout. But having special spawners fire up in different waves is something I definitely want to do. I need to add the ability to setup custom delays. So you think a wave is just basic enemies then a shambler drops in midway. Maybe time based delays and support for progress delays, once 50% of enemies are killed, it triggers a special spawner.

Comment

There are also QuakeMatt's http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~moon.../coopmod10.zip and Willem's Qonquer
                      Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Working...
                      X