Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NetQuake FAQ - Essential Questions(for my Guide)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetQuake FAQ - Essential Questions(for my Guide)

Hi, dudes!
    I really need the help of the knowledge and experience of all of you, for I am finalizing a great tutorial of NetQuake for beginners, I think it will contribute a lot to the community(mainly in Brazil) and leave a legacy behind and not let the Q1 die.

Although I find it very knowledgeable about q1 in many things (even though I am beginner), there are things we do not know yet and need to leave the side of shame to ask, so here goes(sorry my poor english, I use google translate ) ...
    p.s.: You may even help me indicating links to other topics if necessary!

1- NQ vs QW: I know almost everything about the difference between them. I know QW is a mod like any other in Q1(like CTF, Team Fortress, Total Destruction 2, Final Arena, etc). But there are certain things I need to ask questions.
    - In NQ, you can not download maps for players to be able to enter a server and play, he must already have it before entering. This has been resolved with a new client(QRack, DarkPlaces, DirectQ), to make it equal to the QW or not possívle change without messing with the Q1 source code?
    - In NQ, it is not possible for players to make voting maps. But some mods you can call voting maps, such as ClanRing, I'm right? So this is something that can be enabled through mods, but something more complex like download maps is still rather not?
    - Can someone explain to me, easily, what is this "prediction", which is basically something that has the QW and the NQ has not. This is the main difference between the two, right?

2- To ACCESS a mod you need to download client files, I need to access it before using a shortcut by adding the command line "-game modname"(like -game ctf), otherwise I will have errors, problems to get into the server and not be able to play. New clients facilitate this today (I believe the QRack does it) or I have to deal with it?

3- How do to create a dedicated server, using the ProQuake, for example? Any other client can do this(DK, QRack)? ExSite programs that facilitate this?

4- There is efficient and modern Anti-Cheats for NQ servers? How to use them?

5- I learned that the TF 2.8 for NQ, can not call voting maps. I remember the user Baker made the TF 2.5rel have this ability. How is the project still can not enable callvotes in TF 2.8?

6- Does anyone know where I can download the old PureCTF (link official site, etc.)? It is a mod d No. CTF, right? I remember I have seen several demos of the CTF Challenge-TV, where they were played on servers running under this particular mod.

7- What is the command we discover exactly how to know WHICH mod the server is running when we watch a demo? It depends on the client? I think I could so with ezQuake(QW client)

8- I'm a fan of duel (1x1) demos of Polar1te. I wonder what are the strategies of the initial spawns in DM6, modern tactics (in addition to the Thresh's tactics) and of how the spawn system in NQ. The NQ's spawns system is different in CR mod? I would also like know if you have any tutorial on how to make rocket jumps (mostly side RJs, in the walls) in NQ!

9- About cvars in certain customers, there is command similar to "v_gunkick" in DarkPlaces? And where can I find an explanatory list of cvars of the DirectQ?

10- Where can I find many scripts for certain skills in NQ, as "get out FAST" of the water/lava, zoom toggle, rocket jump and super rocket jumps, CTF and TF scripts, etc?

Well, I know this is a lot, but you will help me greatly if they can solve my doubts. Thanks in advance and see you later!!

You have many questions. I will answer some of them.

NQ server use some version of ProQuake. It has anti-wallhack and it is enabled by default. See QuakeOne - Anti-Wallhack Server

Command line:

c:\quake\glpro493.exe -game crmod -dedicated 12

Qrack, DirectQ and ProQuake will download the maps from the main ProQuake map depot. DarkPlaces has map download only when connected to a DarkPlaces or Quakeworld server --- so it will not download from a ProQuake map depot. Don't use any server except some version of ProQuake, most NQ mods use QCCX hacks which do not work with any other server (if you don't use ProQuake the mod will malfunction).

To ACCESS a mod you need to download client files, I need to access it before using a shortcut by adding the command line "-game modname"(like -game ctf)
    None of the NetQuake servers do it that way. If you do it that way, you will fail because players don't know how to change a command line, etc.

Rook, for example, has a gamedirless CTF. You just connect to it.

Likewise, the Rocket Arena that is available is gamedirless. (see runecentral.com)

If you want to Team Fortress, you should be using Quakeworld.

What is the command we discover exactly how to know WHICH mod the server is running when we watch a demo?
    You can't in NQ, the client has no idea what it is running.

zoom toggle
    In ProQuake bind +zoom to a key. I think.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

For point 8, the answer is mod-dependent. For example, Runequake has an option for random player spawn point selection as well as a system of selecting items as spawn point locations if the regular points are occupied. I don't have the latest source for CRmod (like most people), but at one point it checked the spawn location and skipped spawning at a location if a player was nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Lejionator View Post
        - In NQ, it is not possible for players to make voting maps. But some mods you can call voting maps, such as ClanRing,
        Almost anything being played on any of the NQ has map voting built into the mod.

CRMOD has it, RuneQuake has it, Rocket Arena has it, Clan Arena has it, I'm sure Rook's CTF has it. Often the command is called "vote" or sometimes called "warp". Type "commands" when connected to a one of the above servers and there is a good chance it will say what the command name is.

if you have any tutorial on how to make rocket jumps (mostly side RJs, in the walls) in NQ!
        Quick tutorial: walk forward, look down and press fire.

And where can I find an explanatory list of cvars of the DirectQ?
        Type cmdlist or cvarlist list in the console.

Where can I find many scripts for certain skills in NQ, as "get out FAST" of the water/lava
        Pro-Tip: Stay out of the lava.

NQ compared to QW
        Quakeworld uses prediction. Quakeworld has very easy bunny hopping that allows increase of speed. NetQuake doesn't have prediction and bunny hopping in NQ is very complicated and difficult to do in a meaningful manner.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
        X