Mortal Kombat X Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortal Kombat X Violence

Do you think Mortal Kombat X is more violent than Quake?
    Comparing Quake as it was back in 1996 to Mortal Kombat X today-- with all the gibs and junk, which do you think is more severe?
    Quake
    0.00%
    Mortal Kombat X
    33.33%
    Equal
    16.67%
    No Comparison
    50.00%
    What's Mortal Kombat X?
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

None, because for there to be violence, there must be more than zero people involved. As there is nothing real being attacked and the person playing the game is not acting violently, then there is no violence.

This is the Collins English Dictionary definition of violence:
    "the exercise or an instance of physical force, usually effecting or intended to effect injuries, destruction, etc".

Even ratings systems are careful not to use the word violence alone. They usually use "depictions of violence". If pixels being splattered like exploding bottles of ketchup on a screen is violence, then we need to invent a new word for actual violence.

Comment

...fuck.
      Wait, what does that mean for puns like Ultra-Violence?

I say it's redundant to say "depictions of violence" instead of "violence".
      Even according to your dictionary there is violence-- it's within the ingame frame of reality.
      I mean, if we have an axe on the screen, that has to be a 'depiction of an axe', not just 'axe'?
      Or a wall portrait on an ingame wall is a 'depiction of a depiction', not just a 'depiction'.
      Or is 'violence' like one of those weird special terms that has to specifically mean outside of representation?
      If I box up a copy of MKX on disc and throw at it someone's face, is that 'game violence'?

Okay let me rephrase the poll: Which has the more brutal depictions of violence?
      Maybe this was a bad idea for a thread, but I wanted to see how polls work.

Comment

You should have been comparing the equivalent MK.. and in my opinion, that would be MK3 1995 or MK4 1997, much much closer.

I'm not sure its fair to compare Quake released in 1996 to any game outside that release window.

But, to keep with the basic question of which game Q vs MK is more violent, just take into account the reactions from your actions in each game.

In Quake you can at best gib an enemy, they explode into pieces. Anything less than a gib is just dropping dead intact, without nailgun projectiles protruding from a dead corpse. You can never see a body riddled with holes from shotgun blasts.

MK focused on the end-game from the very get go, everytime the announcer yelled Finish Him you was given the opportunity to get very gratuitous on how that enemy died. Quake basically gave us two (three if you count level deaths) ways to die and have that death displayed, killed (no gib) , gibbed (the gibs don't even look like body parts minus the head) , and that reveals why I chose no contest in the poll.

Later on MK released Brutalities, which allowed you to skip waiting on the announcer to yell Finish Him/Her and go straight into conducting a brutal death sequence that explicitly had end-game gratuitous violence in mind. Quake's set standard of methods of death that can be acheieved are within an extremely narrow variety!
        MK represented ,whether its burned alive or having a head knocked off, many choices of death. Both games are equal in the respect that they represent kill or be killed. MK took that kill or be killed and tacked on the choices of ways to kill your enemy.

It would be really cool if Quake was given that aspect, say just as example : Rocket Arena mod 1v1,you know your enemy is low on H, low enough that each weapon could represent a choice of a death blow being dealt to the enemy in a death sequence, with all new dead body end points instead of your basic dead no gib,dead by gibbing,etc.

RL/GL could piggy back the already establish gibbing, but the real adjustments to create a variety of deaths could be in the nailgun (weap4), maybe because it shoots side by side nails, your quake guy could kneel down on a knocked down body and fire two nails one for each eye socket pinning them to the ground.

/end rant
        Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 07-29-2015, 11:07 AM.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I think Quake is one of the most aggressive games ever made. Every single thing in the game is hostile and usually wants to kill you. Listen to the quad damage sound when you fire, god does it sound awesome. Quake was always about empowerment, and I felt and still do feel (Although not as much as when I was a teen) a sort of controlled, euphoric rage.

Mortal Kombat doesn't take itself so seriously, as can be seen by "Toasty" and the sort of cartoon nature of it (Babalities, animality, arcade machines dropping on the player, 3 heads being uppercutted off etc). I think Mortal Kombat 2 was one of the greatest games of all time, and I don't really play any other version.

Comment

Originally posted by unbirthday View Post
            I think Quake is one of the most aggressive games ever made. Every single thing in the game is hostile and usually wants to kill you. Listen to the quad damage sound when you fire, god does it sound awesome. Quake was always about empowerment, and I felt and still do feel (Although not as much as when I was a teen) a sort of controlled, euphoric rage.

Mortal Kombat doesn't take itself so seriously, as can be seen by "Toasty" and the sort of cartoon nature of it (Babalities, animality, arcade machines dropping on the player, 3 heads being uppercutted off etc). I think Mortal Kombat 2 was one of the greatest games of all time, and I don't really play any other version.
            Your missing out on the best MK to date then (opinion)...

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...tml#post158683

There is only a handful of nods to the cartoon nature of the past games, like if you don't do a fatality with johnny cage, there is a nod to his friendship from mk2

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmJ0gwvcFtI[/ame]
            Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 07-30-2015, 06:54 PM.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by H1CC View Post
              If I box up a copy of MKX on disc and throw at it someone's face, is that 'game violence'?
              I LOOOOOOOOOOOL'd so hard when you wrote that. Any chance you play mkx on PC? I'd love to connect with a fellow Quakeone member for some MKX gameplay.

I'm at the level of "Meh" in terms of how good I am, really just depends on what character I pick.

Comment

I was being super pedantic because there are those oddjobs who against facts and studies, claim that "violence" in video games = actual violence. We all know that it's nonsense and probably contrary.

MK2 will never be beaten. I really hated the transition to 3D in fighting games. MK2 and Street Fighter 3 are just the most perfect fighting games ever, and they should've just stopped there and started a new franchise. The old games studios daren't take risk anymore, that's why indie developers are succeeding where they fail. Every version after has been a cash-in imho.

Comment

I was being super pedantic because there are those oddjobs who against facts and studies, claim that "violence" in video games = actual violence. We all know that it's nonsense and probably contrary.

MK2 will never be beaten. I really hated the transition to 3D in fighting games. MK2 and Street Fighter 3 are just the most perfect fighting games ever, and they should've just stopped there and started a new franchise. The old games studios daren't take risk anymore, that's why indie developers are succeeding where they fail. Every version after has been a cash-in imho.
                  lol. mkx isn't 3D. there has only been one 3D mk and that was mk4 (3d like Tekken is 3d)

pretty sure mkx qualifies as 2.5d ,and it most definitely isn't a cash-in (imo)

I reckon Nintendo should have abandoned Mario back on SNES with SMW haha

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                    Pfft absolutely. But Mario/Nintendo fans are rabid to the eyeballs. They despise change and look disfavourably on their pet being altered. The SNES was actually the last console I had - but perhaps SMW2 was the last Mario they should've made. It was actually an outstanding game (outstanding spoken in Shao Kahn's voice).

I recently defected to old Sega. I've become fascinated by the idea of recreating the Sega Neptune - by designing an fpga version of the 32x and putting it inside a Mega Drive/Genesis. The 32x was about as powerful as a 486 66Mhz, which was a top end PC at the time. It has two risc processors and then the Mega Drive m68k and z80s on top of that. I've started writing a raycaster engine for it, in the hopes of extending it to something with the fidelity of zdoom. Doom is perfect for the old digital joypad, as there is no looking up/down.

Comment

lol. mkx isn't 3D. there has only been one 3D mk and that was mk4 (3d like Tekken is 3d)

pretty sure mkx qualifies as 2.5d ,and it most definitely isn't a cash-in (imo)

There were actually five 3D MK games. My favorite of them being Mortal Kombat Deception. Loved the Konquest mode and I feel it is the perfect way to get one familiar with the true MK universe.

Also Mindman, you didn't like SM64?!

Quake and Mortal Kombat, my two favorite games being discussed on one website!

Comment

any chance you have mkx? its phenomenal imo

Comment

Pfft absolutely. But Mario/Nintendo fans are rabid to the eyeballs. They despise change and look disfavourably on their pet being altered. The SNES was actually the last console I had - but perhaps SMW2 was the last Mario they should've made. It was actually an outstanding game (outstanding spoken in Shao Kahn's voice).
                          Blasphemy!

I actually love both series, Mario and MK. I think that both are still releasing fun games in the series today. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 on the Wii are the pinnacle of 3d platformers! So good! Not to mention the new MKX is really, really good as well (minus all of the micro transaction stuff). Also, Super Mario Maker... if you like old school mario, and lots of it except crazier because all the levels are made by regular people, it's such a fun game.

Both Mario and MK are definitely notorious for releasing more of the same over the years but I think both are series that don't need to shake everything up completely to still be fun.

I totally agree about Nintendo fans though. As much as I like Nintendo, I think the hardcore fans are insane! Sometimes I read Nintendolife for fun videos and what not and the kids/people posting on there are just followers. They support every decision and move made by Nintendo and we all know that Nintendo has done some very strange things over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by ArrrCee View Post
                            Blasphemy!

I actually love both series, Mario and MK. I think that both are still releasing fun games in the series today. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 on the Wii are the pinnacle of 3d platformers! So good! Not to mention the new MKX is really, really good as well (minus all of the micro transaction stuff). Also, Super Mario Maker... if you like old school mario, and lots of it except crazier because all the levels are made by regular people, it's such a fun game.

Both Mario and MK are definitely notorious for releasing more of the same over the years but I think both are series that don't need to shake everything up completely to still be fun.

I totally agree about Nintendo fans though. As much as I like Nintendo, I think the hardcore fans are insane! Sometimes I read Nintendolife for fun videos and what not and the kids/people posting on there are just followers. They support every decision and move made by Nintendo and we all know that Nintendo has done some very strange things over the years.
                            Yup /cough VirtuaBoy/ lol

Comment

any chance you have mkx? its phenomenal imo
                              I have MKX. Great fighting game, but it could've had a better roster. I also don't like Goro's new head of hair, but still good to see him again

Comment

Working...
                              X