Quake 5 possibly TBA in 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 5 possibly TBA in 2016

I figure you guys have talked about this, but I couldn't find any threads on it here. Anyway, I have been waiting my whole damn life for another real Quake game. So with Wolfenstien getting a new title and now Doom, I think we may finally see Quake next!

Sweeet!
    I don't know about any discussions about that!

I just wonder, will it be Quake in of just a name,or will it be truthfully Quake.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I join the worry of Mindf!3ldzX, we already had 3 new Quake. But they have nothing to do with the Lovecraftian horrors and brown decaying worlds we love.
      Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this time it will be the real Quake with it's satanic and brown lovecraft theme. I remember Carmack saying he wanted to return Quake to its "Chtuluish" roots, though he is not at id anymore. I'm pretty sure it's his fault why the Quake series is the way it is today, but I will not pick on him.

Comment

It is well possible that a new Quake is impossible actually.

There is sentence in this page that explains it well...
          ...certainly we must credit much of Quake's greatness to things id could not possibly have intended, like internal conflict of design direction, competing influences on the art style, and that limited palette.
          It is really incredible to think that lots of the good of Quake comes from the disagreement of the main developers. An unintended consequence of having different idea that at the end got mashed together.
          Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

As much as I would love to see a new Quake announced, I think it's really going to depend on whether the new Doom sells or not. Chances are if the the new Doom doesn't sell that well, they may ignore id's franchises for a little bit. Besides Wolfenstein of course because that game did well.

Comment

TBH, no modern gamer wants a satanic fps.
              it was a cheap horror gimmic in the 90s; a chill factor without much thought.

human behavior is fearful enough, and religion was created by human fear so go figure.
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

What are we? Ancient gamers?

Comment

If you are hanging around in a site dedicated to a game that came out in the mid 90's then probably so.

Comment

I think that if the new doom is a good business , bethesda will force to ID to make a new Quake ... just money
                    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Originally posted by Tea Monster View Post
                      If you are hanging around in a site dedicated to a game that came out in the mid 90's then probably so.
                      That's funny, it makes sense, but it should not... What about people who play Chess? Or Go? Or run the Marathon?

Comment

They should actually just remake quake. Remake the whole game in whatever the latest idtech engine is, monsters, map layouts & sequence, everything. Just modernize it all graphically but leave the basic gameplay untouched.

But that of course this will probably never happen. The desire to throw a bone to the modern era of gamers will be overwhelming.

Look at the new doom game. They appear to be missing the point (again). Doom was gory, but it was NOT about the gore as it appears to be now. Just like how Doom can be dark and creepy, but for Doom 3 that's all it was. Rather, Doom was about the kind of action you get when you are circle strafing around 20 different bad guys as they chased after you.

Comment

I don't know what a 5th one would add

Comment

Originally posted by Arkon
                            IMHO Quake doesn't need a remake, it needs a patch and I mean an official one.
                            Something that uses a single multiplatform engine capable of running all maps and mods in both client and server mode (where available).
                            Supporting Netquake as well as Quakeworld protocols with both original graphics and hi resolution (textures, sounds, models, effects,...), featuring modern cheat prevention for multiplayer, language and keyboard localization, mvd support, a built in server browser, as well as a map downloader (with description, map images and comments from users) and a ranking system customized by gamemodes (yes, also speedruns).
                            Obviously it would need a customizable hud interface, mouse support in menu and a wild bunch of actualizations to fit player needs in modern OS, maybe the possibility of starting servers on the fly.

We already have most of those features and much more, but to use/enable them we need addictional programs, forced graphical setting, overpowered machines, hours of setup, creating batches, shortcuts and more. What id software/Bethesda staff has to do is mostly in making official what is already existing, fix the few leakes which are still left to fix and put it all together as Quake 1.2 (or whatever).

Then if Tim Willits wants to make an additional gift he could add some newe1m1.bsp and more to add more geometry elements over the already existing textures, but monsters and other models seems to be already there. Gameplay would be untouched in both nq and qw. And if beta testers are needed, well how many of us would feel luck of being there?

Am I asking too much? This also seems the only way to put together all Quake communities in a single one, cause only id software can put together what id software has devided (once with qw, then with engine code release).

Dear id, consider this the best gift possible for Quake 20th anniversary.

Other gaming communities opted for semiofficial releases, but this won't work with Quake. Each one of us have developed a personal idea of his own Quake and it is really hard to put together minds which works for different purposes. And with the infinite possibilities (or quite) that Quake engine gives, the purposes are infinite too.

Ok dream time is over, let's return to reality and add another engine in quake folder, another autoexec.cfg here, a quake.rc there, oh a bug...

Have a nice day mates.
                            Surely you would rather have a brand new Quake game that is true to the original rather than just a patch. Your idea would of course be wonderful, but I want that real Quake 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Quakeman5 View Post
                              Surely you would rather have a brand new Quake game that is true to the original rather than just a patch. Your idea would of course be wonderful, but I want that real Quake 2.
                              I concur.... It's time for Quake to stop being treated like the 20 year old toy gathering dust in the keepsakes drawer...

I've become accustom to being let down by Id software though, so when it doesn't happen it won't be like I expected anything more, my expectations are already extremely low.
                              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                              X