Best Quake source port for multiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Quake source port for multiplayer

I just got quake on steam and Im looking for a good sourceport. Ive tried a million like Proquake, Ezquake, darkplaces etc. all of them have things I don't like about them. In proquake, the weapon firing animation is super choppy and half the time the I cant connect to a server. In ezquake, for the life of me i cant figure out how to change ur user name (yeah kinda stupid), i cant move the type cursor in order to do that. Darkplaces doesnt run Quakeworld servers well.

Suggestions?

Qrack

Most people now use Qrack for multiplayer NetQuake.

Here is the latest version:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...090M3Y1QWNSSFU

Make sure to exec custom.cfg (included in zip file \qrack) for my settings in Qrack.

Come play some DM with us. Check the servers dm.quaketx.com for the few DM players that are left.

Also make sure to rename GlQrack.dat to GLQrack.exe after you unzip.
    Last edited by legion; 10-10-2015, 09:45 PM. Reason: reasons

Comment

considering you mention quakeworld, you have four choices.
      fteqw ( FTEQW - FTE QW (Fore Thought Entertainment) - That magical Quakeworld client. ), fodquake ( Fodquake ), ezquake, and maybe darkplaces.

qrack, directq, proquake, quakespasm, fteqw, darkplaces should all do nq, but that's not quakeworld.

to change your name in quake, hit the button under escape and type:
      name foo
      and then hit enter. quakeworld engines tend to need a 'cfg_save' in order to retain that the next time you start it up.
      and yeah, ezquake+mouse cursors is unusable.
      Some Game Thing

Comment

do people still play quake?

that link leg posted rename the glQrack.dat to .exe as google didnt like .exe imbedded in a zip

if u do find an active qw server id suggest FTE, though, you can use it for netQuake too, but most nq multiplayer mods dont work; something to do with fte not receiving alias commands or something like that. I tried FTE with CAx, CRMOD and it just did not work,
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
          do people still play quake?

that link leg posted rename the glQrack.dat to .exe as google didnt like .exe imbedded in a zip

if u do find an active qw server id suggest FTE, though, you can use it for netQuake too, but most nq multiplayer mods dont work; something to do with fte not receiving alias commands or something like that. I tried FTE with CAx, CRMOD and it just did not work,
          oh go yourself rook. just because you quit playing doesn't mean everyone quit playing. jesus christ on a stick o_O

don't accidentally twist my words above or misunderstand their intentions, you're still my homie. we're still homies right?
          Code:
          hom·ie
          ˈhōmē/
          nounUSinformal
          an acquaintance from one's town or neighborhood, or a member of one's peer group or gang.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by legion View Post

Make sure to exec custom.cfg (included in zip file \qrack) for my settings in Qrack.
            what? whats that suppose to mean?

Comment

after you launch the game, type "exec custom.cfg" in the console

This will load the settings that I use for Qrack. You can always change them to your preference.

Comment

And yeah I missed the part at the end that says you are trying to play Quakeworld servers. Qrack is the best for NetQuake. If you want Quakeworld your options are what Spike mentioned.

Comment

does anyone plays coop? maybe with mods?
                  Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

Originally posted by ezzetabi View Post
                    does anyone play coop? maybe with mods?
                    I still play coop several times a week on the RQuake servers (mainly newyork.servequake.com and Flanders.servequake.com in europe).
                    I had fun with Fire61(lla) tonight, hope to see you there.

Kind regards
                    Monty
                    Mr.Burns
                    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

keep getting this error when I try to connect to some servers:
                      PRX user info is not set.

Comment

'prx user info not set'
                        those are proxies and not actual game servers. ignore them. you client's server browser should have an option to hide them automatically, and by default.
                        Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by ezzetabi View Post
                          does anyone plays coop? maybe with mods?
                          RQuake Coop is where its at. There are other servers hosting this mod, but typically every time I've played lately its been at rage.quakeone.com:26003
                          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

If you like Coop,NOTHING comes remotely CLOSE to Kleshik.You can jump on at Cax.quakeitup.com if you have both the expansion packs.AKA Scourge and DOE.It is a Darkplaces only mod and won't run under another engine.Also all three folders have to be set
                            -game ID1,Scourge and DOE on launch or you may get some missing content but DP will attempt to download them.My shortcut looks like this:
                            darkplaces.exe -game rogue -game hipnotic -game id1 -game kleshik
                            The mod is here:http://spidflisk.com/Quake/KleshikMo.../KleshikSVN.7z

ATLANTA, GA SERVER'S
                            CAX.QUAKEITUP.COM:26000 CAX
                            CAX.QUAKEITUP.COM:26001 CRCTF
                            CAX.QUAKEITUP.COM:26002 CRMOD/TDM
                            CAX.QUAKEITUP.COM:26003 KLESHIK COOP

Have a look on the thread over here http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...shik-coop.html
                            Last edited by bluntz; 10-11-2015, 10:48 PM.
                            WARNING
                            May be too intense for some viewers.
                            Stress Relief Device
                            ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                            ---------------------------
                            .--------------------------

Comment

Try chaosesque. Engine is darkplaces, the QC supports most Q1 maps (every time I find one that won't load I add the subroutine that's needed)

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...tning-gun.html

Download ChaosEsqueAnthology from SourceForge.net

You can also replace weaps with all medeval weapons etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X