Hey, Quake Dudes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Quake Dudes

Last night I was texted a print out of an old friend's highlighted monster stats from a local 90s CTF match. He had dominated on defense with his his preferred Strength rune. Granted, this was in the rusty slow-hook environment. For some reason this important document was packed with his tax returns (quake deduction from time lost to quake?) and he found it during a move.

It'd been a while since I got destroyed by the few remaining netquake players, so a six pack of sierra nevada snow pack that I had never tried before later, and I was on the servers DMTGing! (sorry, TV).

A few moments of the usual douche-baggery aside (but what activity in life doesn’t have its own version of this?), it was a fun time, and I’m glad that there is a set of people out there who, in spite of vastly different jobs, distances, and backgrounds, can all roam the halls of multiple Q1 maps in their head and snicker at imagining quad LG-ing people. It’s cool knowing that whatever stupid shit happens in the world, a few are out there who will always understand how a few milliseconds lag feels in a fast-twitch quake physics environment, or how a subtle auditory queue can immediately convey so much information about a situation. Quake 1 is a small bit of imagined permanence in a universe of impermanence.

So yeah, I got crushed at DM for the 2nd time in three years, but it was fun. Then I passed out and had quake influenced IPA/stout/Alien dreams where I was being chased through intense 3D environments.

For some reason I wanted to permanently brand these thoughts into the digital universe.

----------------------------------------
    I am not a Joe Rogan evangelist, but I have been listening recently to pass the time at my boring job. He talks about quake and video games about an hour into the show in a recent one (#719):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFDfWOIFKnQ

And more in depth shooter discussion at some points in an older one with a talented counter strike dork (c9n0thing, #651):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPPFhL_g5Mo

+1

Comment

wish I had dreams... I also wish I slept.
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Working...
      X