QI4A issue, Android 5.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QI4A issue, Android 5.1

I've had qi4a before, in fact, I have it on my 4.3 inch Moto E right now, along with qii4a and qiii4a. For some reason, I cannot get past the main menu to play quake in single player on my 7 inch tablet, Google Nexus 7 2012. I click Single Player > New Game, and it sits there on the load screen, saying that the server is listening for activity at address 0.0.0.0 on port 26000. I have the same version (STEAM, Darkplaces) on both the tablet and the phone, and the phone plays it wonderfully. So, it has to be some incompatibility with Lollipop, as the Moto E is running Kit Kat. Please, if the developer for qi4a reads this, please fix this. There have been many outcries for this to be fixed on the Play Store.

Is this definitely to do with android or can it be fixed via .cfg ?

Comment

Do the demos play?

Anyway, it seems mpre like a problem with cfg or corruption. I doubt its incompatibility.

Is the author here? You should've ppsted this in the Play Store page.

Comment

As far as I could find out the port has been abandoned, which is why I asked if it could be solved via .cfg

Demos run but when you start a game the console drops and displays :

SERVER LISTENING ON ADDRESS 0.0.0.0:26000

Comment

I've got the same when i tried to play. Everything lookspring fine up to the point you choose a new game or to load a game. When console appears and map is about to load, this message as this guy says appears. Idk what that suppose to mean either

Comment

From what I can find out, the original QI4A was done by a guy called beloko, aka Proger10

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...4.Q4A&hl=en_GB

His latest incarnation is called Q-Touch, which works but doesn't have the same keyboard and mouse support that QI4A does.

Beloko Games | Game_quake

I cannot stand playing games using touch, especially one that was designed for a keyboard and mouse.

If the server error can't be fixed by external .cfg jiggery-pokery, I think the only solution is to contact Beloko Games :/

Comment

Why dont you delete the cfg file then restart the app?

Comment

Deleting config has no effect and the file isn't recreated.

I tried creating an autoexec.cfg file with the line "map e1m1", when I run it now drops the console and says :

LOADED MAPS/E1M1.ENT
                HOST_MINGLED: TIME STEPPED FORWARD (WENT FROM 0.000000 TO 1.467310773.278480. DIFFERENCE 146773.278480)

from the looks of it the game can be affected by external cfg file., but the map still doesn't load.

Any ideas I haven't a clue about cfg's.

btw it's running :

DARKPLACES-QUAKE LINUX 02:08:43 JUL 27 2013 1196.5M RELEASE

tia

Comment

Not good news...

QI4A is broken for good I'm afraid. I know this because I had to fix the issue it has in order for QVR (Quake VR) to work correctly. Basically the problem is Android 5 introduced some security checking on calls to snprintf, which means a null string is returned if it detects invalid characters in the input string. As Darkplaces uses certain characters in its netcomms code, it is failing on starting the game on Android 5 and above and is unable to go any further.

The fix is to use a custom implementation of snprintf and use that instead:

https://www.ijs.si/software/snprintf/

I did this in QVR and it works, however it would take someone rebuilding QI4A with this fix in it, and since the code for QI4A doesn't appear to build off the bat, and uses some old build mechanism (rather than ndk-build), it's really going to take a bit of effort to sort it out.

I thought I would post this here, in case anyone looking for a solution to this issue comes to this thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X