No announcement yet.

Quake Mod Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Baker AND Gypsy... this website does seem like a hub for Quake 1, but since Quake has a segmented fanbase, most of the experienced mappers don't check here often, if at all. There are people with some experience mapping here, such as Gypsy and others, but we hardly ever talk about the subject.

So, DeathMaster, feel free to ask stuff here on the forum. You'll never know who will come out of the woodwork with some knowledge; however, Baker's links should give you better results.

Comment

@Zop - I can agree with that. This all happened almost identically about 3 years ago between GB and Baker. I don't have the rep in my words that GB does but, I basically said the same thing. I just don't like being poo-pooed like I spent 5 years learning all this, fixed the radiant build menu, wrote numerous tutorials, answered numerous questions and (ent/fgd)ed our most recent compile tools but, somehow my help isn't good enough.

Honestly, you could give me a sock map and I will recreate it identical from the ground up. My "problem" isn't skills, it's map creativity. That is the only reason I do not have a name for myself as a mapper. I mastered brush limits, manipulations and entities a long time ago. My light skills could be improved but, not by a whole damn lot. I know numerous map tricks to fix rspeeds and allow brushy details. I am familiar up to experienced with EVERY compiler. Actually, over a year ago I released a radiant gamepack that features every compiler except the latest tyrutils AND build menus for each individual compiler. I'm like a bad-ass mapper with zero ideas.

however, Baker's links should give you better results.
      Not if I can help it. This dude would have to come up with some insanely tech question for me not to be able to answer it (regarding Q1 mapping). Actually, the only questions I can think of are ones that revolve around his specific editor and even then I bet I could guess pretty close, depending. Give me another year or two and I'll even tell him how his QC is affecting the engine. I've been really serious about this stuff for 5 years. Speaking of QC I MAY be the only person besides spike on this site, and of a handful of people in the entire world that understands classes in QC.

I'm not tooting my horn. I'm crushing doubt.
      Last edited by MadGypsy; 03-23-2016, 12:33 PM.
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Every forum has it's strengths and weaknesses. Func Msgboard sucks at DarkPlaces, for instance.

Here is a current conversation at Func:

Originally posted by SpecialBomb -- yesterday ...
        People On My Server Are Saying...

That the maps I put on there that use full-game textures have invisible walls. When they come back after getting the full game, they can see the textures. I have no idea if it's just the client or my server. It's actually pretty weird.
        Now ... no one there knows anything much about DarkPlaces and don't know about any DarkPlaces features. There are few replies and as you would expect they are best effort guesses but ultimately not helpful.

Sure you can ask super-newbie mapping question here --- but that just means you don't know where any of the mapping references/documentation is -- which is the actual problem.

But ask an intermediate one here and if you are lucky enough to get an answer, it might be a really daft answer in the eyes of a veteran mapper -- just like how asking a DarkPlaces question at Func_Msgboard is asking for a daft answer.

Knowledge seeking is a meritocracy by definition, both the for questioner and answerer. And then things sort themselves out.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Thanks a lot to all you guys for putting me in the right direction here. I'll try to utilize these sources to the best of my ability.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

Working...
          X