Quake looks better than Quake 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake looks better than Quake 2?

Using the vanilla clients for both games, I noticed that Quake has far better dynamic lights than Quake 2. Firing a rocket across a corridor will produce a smooth round light falloff in the former game, while it looks jaggy in the latter.

How do dynamic lights work in Quake? All I can find info on is that the surfaces are cached, at least in the software renderer, but that doesn't really explain how light interacts in the first place.

its 50 mb of pure old school magic

what other game has so much packed into it and so well optimized etc? it also plays great in MP. A lot of work went into this game, as it was such an important game, still is

Q1 is also more suitable for online play i think. Q2 as a sequel, really wanted to develop more the single player side of it, with better graphics and level geometry, while the multiplayer part really picked up in Q1, in my opinion. But both should be played regardless I think, at least to enjoy the aspects of these 2 different yet related games
    The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

I actually agree. I know the engines are practically the same, perhaps it was the lack of dynamic range lighting and the absence of dark corridors that hid the contrast between different bright lights? Basically, since much of Quake 1 was riddled in darkness, flashing lights would catch the eyes more?

Comment

Originally posted by bloodsnipe View Post
        I actually agree. I know the engines are practically the same, perhaps it was the lack of dynamic range lighting and the absence of dark corridors that hid the contrast between different bright lights? Basically, since much of Quake 1 was riddled in darkness, flashing lights would catch the eyes more?
        Pretty much that. I also think that, even though Quake 1 was infamous for its brown colour-palette, it had a lot more texture-variation than the kind of typical tech-base gray colours all around. Quake 1 had multiple themes, while Quake 2 only had one.

Comment

I haven't looked at rendering code, but I've heard some things, and my educated guess is that a surface has a texture and a light map "texture" which is really just a brightness modifier. The light map has its own resolution, which should be less than the texture.

Even though you said "vanilla client" there is still the question of using a gl (or Glide) renderer or not. Still, if the original quake.exe (enhanced with Q95.bat!) has better falloff than quake2, then I'd have to say the lightmap resolution is somehow higher in Q1. Perhaps it was lessened in order to accommodate more visuals.

Comment

Working...
          X