X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake wit iron sights and gun recoil!

So I'm working on this mod for fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Yv...ature=youtu.be

It is far from complete, but already quite fun. If there is enough interest, I will add more gun positions and guns, and share with anyone interested.

weapons already have recoil in seven's SMC

so instead of inventing your own code you could grab the recoil code from SMC
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
      weapons already have recoil in seven's SMC

so instead of inventing your own code you could grab the recoil code from SMC
      Had I only known...

That's very cool, This was a project I decided to undertake to improve my QuakeC skills. I'm curious as to how it is implemented in SMC. Do you have a link per chance? I'll try google in the mean time.

Comment

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...mpilation.html
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

So looking at his work, he doesn't implement it like i do. His recoil consist of pushing the player back. My recoil causes the gun to actually climb which, to my knowledge hasn't been done in any Quake mod before.

Quake usually implements "fake" recoil by updating this field called "punchangle", that causes the camera angle to shift/restore back to original but doesn't effect the aim. Other mods add to this effect by adding a random spread factor to the bullets being traced, so the effect you get is similar to the heavy weapons guy from quake/mega/custom TF (where the screen shakes and the bullet spread increases when holding down fire).

My method effects gameplay more than just the visuals. I don't change the spread (counterstrike style), I actually reorient the weapon (ARMA style). When firing the super shotgun as seen in my video, the bullets go where the gun is pointed, but the weapon lifts towards the sky (which the player then has to restore by physically moving the mouse). I argue this is more realistic and fun since you have manually fight the gun climb... but that would be subjective. At the very least, I urge people to give it a try themselves. If anyone wants, I can share the progs.dat and the mdl file.

Comment

Realistic kickback for the Quake shotgun tutorial - Mod DB

Comment

Thanks man, that is pretty much how I figured it out (using WriteAngle). Also, thanks for pointing out the Mod DB tutorial link, I'll double check before I post something again (so I'm not reinventing the wheel).

Comment

I watched your video and read your explanation. GJ! I agree, your kickback looks better than the norm.
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by bloodsnipe View Post
                  I'll double check before I post something again (so I'm not reinventing the wheel).
                  You should post something and then others can point you towards existing resources where applicable if it happens to be reinventing the wheel.

There is no real way of knowing whether something has already been done, and there are so many source codes out there.

But others will often know.
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                  X