Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There an "Official" Quake Wiki?

Just as the title asks.

I know there's the old archived wiki and there's also the Wikia page too.

I don't really like Wikia's ethics so I was wondering if there was a 'community' wiki a la Doomwiki that I should take part in.

Quake is about to celebrate its 20th birthday and I feel there are great holes in its history online. For example, a lot of Quake sites have dead links to old un-archived personal fan-sites and the presence of online Quake machinima is nigh on nil. The latter issue in particular is a sin. Quake is where machinima started. There should be a full and informative archive of that material. I'd like to make an attempt to fill the gaps - even if I am quite ignorant myself!
    I got the phone call at 4 a.m.

Why not this?
    https://quakewiki.org/wiki/Main_Page
    Its litterally the same as Doomwiki.

Comment

What's wrong with Wikia's ethics? Honest question. I truly don't understand what could be wrong with it...

Comment

Originally posted by PFL View Post
        Just as the title asks.

I know there's the old archived wiki and there's also the Wikia page too.

I don't really like Wikia's ethics so I was wondering if there was a 'community' wiki a la Doomwiki that I should take part in.

Quake is about to celebrate its 20th birthday and I feel there are great holes in its history online. For example, a lot of Quake sites have dead links to old un-archived personal fan-sites and the presence of online Quake machinima is nigh on nil. The latter issue in particular is a sin. Quake is where machinima started. There should be a full and informative archive of that material. I'd like to make an attempt to fill the gaps - even if I am quite ignorant myself!
        Edit the quakewiki.org, that's what is there for. Mostly mappers edit it, so it has nice mapping info but tends to be weak in other areas.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Izhido_ View Post
          What's wrong with Wikia's ethics? Honest question. I truly don't understand what could be wrong with it...
          IMO, the lack of a soul (it feels like that for me)

Comment

Originally posted by Voros View Post
            Why not this?
            https://quakewiki.org/wiki/Main_Page
            Its litterally the same as Doomwiki.
            Why not, indeed. I'll get to work collating some stuff over the weekend.

Baker, yeah, I've just had a quick look through and, like you say, while there is a lot of good mapping information, it certainly does lack elsewhere.

Wikia's policy allows them to own any and all work added to any wiki on its domain. This is against the very idea of what a wiki is all about. They also readily go in and edit things to suit their own ends (keeping big companies happy etc).

I also think they have way too many adverts on their wiki pages and a lot of the time they're set up to look like relevant links to the subject at hand but are actually just click bait.

Comment

So your plan is to anoint a false god to rule over you.

Let them decide the rules. You do all the work, they can ban or censor or edit as they please. Bored people can game them, possibly hijack or alter things to suit their motivations (think wikipedia or open source Linux nerds fighting over KDE vs. Gnome or systemd or whatever ...).

Does that sound like a good deal?

You know moddb.com decided Sock's mod Arcane Dimensions was "illegal" and is no longer hosted there, Sock decided he wasn't going to play silly games.

Oh yeah --- by strict definition many of the Quake engines have trademark infringing names because they contain the word "Quake" in them and so do many mods.

If you like playing games, pick a mindless corporation to rule over you.

Quake is more like the Wild West where there is a diversity of views and you respect all the other views because of shared history. It is a neat bazaar like that.

(I know you lack the experience to know this, you haven't been around to see --- nevertheless, I tried to make this a good read ...)
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

wha.... seriously? arcane dimensions was considered illegal?
                why, because it included some hexen2 models?

if so.... thats begs the question.....

how come a mod like brutal doom never got deleted?
                that mod used to include loads of sprites stolen from other games like blood and duke3D

i quite like brutal doom myself, even if its definitely the most revolutionary mod and
                perhaps doesnt deserve the absurd praise its getting, fact remains it helped to get people interested in doom again.

but if arcane dimensions really got removed for containing models from hexen2,
                thats just some seriously biased bullshit going on there at modDB
                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
                  wha.... seriously? arcane dimensions was considered illegal?
                  why, because it included some hexen2 models?
                  I don't know if even Quoth, Travail or Nehahra would pass a super-literal "clean test".

And corporations can be gamed into doing non-nonsensical things by someone with a lot of time on their hands.

Well intended fan-made stuff is often rife with minor things that no one cares about, but a mindless corporation lacks the interest to make wise judgments and just wants inconveniences to go away and get back to selling ad spots.

Comment

I heard of another problem with Wikia, related to another game, Minecraft. I can't find the details now, but some mod, or mod pack, used to use Wikia. For some reason, they switched hosts (maybe to their own site?), and the Wikia site stopped getting updates. Since old information became incompatible, this led to problems, so they tried to delete the old stuff from Wikia. Wikia prevented this by restoring the pages, since they were getting search result hits (presumably). I think Wikia started banning users when they started removing information from the pages.

Actually, I found it was the ftb mod pack. I found someone had the same problem with wikia, and made a post about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeas...mods_on_wikia/ and a commenter mentioned what I remembered. There's not a reason to read the reddit link, I already posted the tl;dr.

Comment

^
                      It's not the first time I've heard of such things. All Wikia (TM) really seem to care about is ad revenue and not the information they're 'sharing'. If that means resurrecting old and out of date pages to score Google hits then they seem to have no qualms in doing so. Profiteering>pertinence...

Anyway, I spent the weekend collating as much stuff as I could with regards to old demos and machinima and it's a bit disparate to say the least. I'll hopefully spend next Sunday sorting some stuff and then perhaps start posting stuff up.

I'm quite sad that so much stuff seems to have been lost though (dead links and the like). I'll keep looking around through the week in the hope of finding some lost gems.

Comment

Working...
                      X