Quake 3 Arena Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 3 Arena Question

Luckily, my wife found my Quake 3 Arena CD in the original jewel case. After installing, the single player works fine. However, the multiplayer does not work as I cannot get any servers to appear. I did check settings and can't figure out why not. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Originally posted by LTC Pain View Post
    Luckily, my wife found my Quake 3 Arena CD in the original jewel case. After installing, the single player works fine. However, the multiplayer does not work as I cannot get any servers to appear. I did check settings and can't figure out why not. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Quake 3 Arena Master Servers / QuakeServers.net

To set master servers from the console, use the following commands one at a time:

set sv_master2 "master.quake3.fr:27950"
    set sv_master3 "master0.excessiveplus.net:27950"
    set sv_master4 "master.ioquake3.org:27950"
    set sv_master5 "master.maverickservers.com:27950"
    set sv_master6 "dpmaster.deathmask.net:27950"
    set sv_master7 "dctalk.no-ip.info:27950"
    set sv_master8 "master3.idsoftware.com:27950 "

OR

You can also add all these commands by creating an autoexec.cfg file in your baseq3 folder and then copy-pasting them into it. Use notepad, wordpad, etc to accomplish this.

so, for example c:\quake3\baseq3\autoexec.cfg

Make sure you rename the file to a .cfg file, not a .txt file, or it will not work.

Of course, you would create this file and save it BEFORE loading Quake 3 as normal...

OR

You can go here and install this particular Quake 3 client, known as "Ioquake 3":

Download ioquake3 | ioquake3

Ioquake 3 is the multiplayer client that most Quake 3 players use these days (outside of Quake Live), so it is highly recommended you use that, instead of the vanilla Quake 3 client.

Follow the ioquake3 install instructions below:

Players Guide - ioquake3 wiki

Also, make sure you select "install for all users" when following the above install instructions.

You can also add more master servers in the ways I described above. If no servers still appear in the in-game server browser, then I'm not sure what else could be the problem.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Sorry to butt in but are the advantages of IOQuake3 over vanilla? Is it just a matter of it running easier on modern hardware?
      I got the phone call at 4 a.m.

Comment

I'm not sure whether hardware is the only reason to run ioq3, but it definitely is a reason. With the original q3 client under linux, I had problems with choppy sound. Using ioquake3 fixed it. Same with the dreaded 'lines in skybox'-bug.
        dfsp*spirit
        my FPS maps

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

Thanks for replying. I'm on a Win7 machine and don't have any problems with vanilla. I must just be lucky with this game.
            I got the phone call at 4 a.m.

Comment

Ioquake 3 also provides support for Quake3 over ipv6, the next generation of the IP addressing scheme now being rolled out. Vanilla Quake does not support ipv6.

As far as I know, neither Quake 1 or 2 have any clients that support ipv6, either.

Comment

Working...
              X