clear or see through water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear or see through water

Does anyone know how to get this effect? I would like to add it to my map and I have not found anything worth while about it. I have not done anything with DP Pretty Water if that has anything to do with it...

EARP

DP pretty water is what you need. You can't make a map have clear water, you can only use a client that has DP pretty water installed.
    (Edit: You might actually be able to use a transparent texture, but I'm not sure. I'll throw together a quick map and check that out, and get back to you with the results)

The only thing you can do with water on a map is change the texture. If you want to do that just let me know and I'll do my best to help you with that.

Happy mapping!

Comment

Originally posted by EARP View Post
      ...I have not done anything with DP Pretty Water if that has anything to do with it...

EARP
      So are you using DP Pretty Water and it isn't working for you or
      is it that you want to do it another way?

If I remember you could Vispatch or novis 1 or maybe r_water 1...Something like that. To be honest I can't remember, just use DP PW.
      Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

I think he's trying to have see through water baked into the map, instead of having to use pretty water. As far as I can tell, that isn't possible. I tried taking Quake's regular water texture and reducing that opacity by about 25% and used that on a test map. The result was grey poo looking water XD

So as far as I can tell it isn't possible to make transparent water unless it was LITERALLY invisible, without using pretty water.

If there is a way then I don't know about it. I'll ask a couple people I know about this, and if I find anything I'll let you know.

Comment

yes you can, maps can have semi-transparent water.
          any maps can be vis-patched to have semi-transparent water

it has been possible since GLQuake which introduced this option,
          any modern client should be able to display semi-transparent water

how to vis-patch maps or compile maps to have transparent water though....
          im afraid i cant help you with that, i honestly dont have any experience with that.

DP pretty water only adds shaders and makes the texture semi-transparent,
          the actual transparency and being able to see objects through the water comes from having vis-patched maps.

if you use DP-pretty-water in maps that are not vised to support transparent water
          you will still be able to see the maps geometry, but any entities like monsters and such will not be visible through the water's surface
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Ok thanks for the feedback, No I have not tried DP Pretty Water yet, I think I will just build this one without any see through water on it to minimize my pain...

EARP

Comment

Hello EARP,

May I suggest to not use DP pretty water, as it is very performance hungry.
              Especially when you want to make a faithful classic Quake-like map with vanilla water, but transparent you do not need DP pretty water.

This standard cvar is doing the job already:
              r_wateralpha 0.5 (default 1)

What you must have (mandatory) is VISed maps.
              That means, making the water "transparentable" (if this word even exists in english, lol).

You can VIS any map with Bengt Jardrup's VIS tool for example.
              Find it here
              You can vis every map with this tool.

If you have a multicore CPU, you can even use the modified version from Willem.
              Please read all about and download it: here
              That speeds up time a lot, as VISing maps may take a long time.

Once your map is VISed, you can use the cvar: r_wateralpha to make your water transparent. Any value between 0 and 1 is possible. This way you keep the original Quake look and have transparent water.

Only if you want your water to look fancy with refraction and reflection, you can of course use DP pretty water shader. That will make it look almost "realistic", but may not match your other map textures and stuff (and eats your performance like popcorn).
              Be sure to enable cvar: r_water 1 if you want to use DP pretty water. That is mandatory. You do not need it otherwise.

Best of luck,
              Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                You can VIS any map with Bengt Jardrup's VIS tool for example.
                Find it here
                You can vis every map with this tool.
                If you are talking the original Quake maps, you should be able to just unzip these files into quake\id1\maps folder and be set, since DarkPlaces supports external .vis files.

http://quake-1.com/docs/utils/visfil...e_id1_maps.zip

No utilities, no command line or anything else.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

datamanufactory.com has vis'ed maps. It is Spectacular!
                  Life is Grand!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmOrAttAk View Post
                    datamanufactory.com has vis'ed maps. It is Spectacular!
                    fyi: your site requires a username and password, like it is a protected page.

(i.e. people other than yourself can't use your site)
                    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                      fyi: your site requires a username and password, like it is a protected page.

(i.e. people other than yourself can't use your site)
                      Yes I know. The quake addresses are pubctf.datamanufactory.com and cr.datamanufactory.com:26001
                      Life is Grand!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmOrAttAk View Post
                        Yes I know. The quake addresses are pubctf.datamanufactory.com and cr.datamanufactory.com:26001
                        The guy is trying to make transparent water work in DarkPlaces.

I'm not seeing the "my CTF server runs vised maps" angle on how that helps that guy get his transparent water working in DarkPlaces, but different strokes for different folks I guess

Then again, its something for him to try if he does get it working
                        Last edited by Baker; 05-19-2016, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                          If you are talking the original Quake maps, you should be able to just unzip these files into quake\id1\maps folder and be set, since DarkPlaces supports external .vis files.

http://quake-1.com/docs/utils/visfil...e_id1_maps.zip

No utilities, no command line or anything else.
                          I personally also use VIS patches (from Ken Alverson) rather than VIS tools for my standard ID1 and mission pack maps.
                          But Bengt Jardrup's VIS tool is universal. I think that is what EARP was looking for as he makes a new map.

Would be nice to show us some screenies...

Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X