Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing a sound

Replacing Sounds With Other Ones?

I've searched around for how to replace a sound in quake but I am a newbie at this and I am not even sure how to find the sounds that I am to replace, such as a directory since I don't see one within my quake directory. I assume its hidden somewhere in all of that. Is it hard to replace a sound with a different one? I'll keep searching for hows to because I have sounds from shadow warrior that I want to use in Quake. I downloaded these sounds from other sources on the inter web they are not my own sounds. They are in .wav or .mp4 file extensions. I really have not found anything worthwhile on that topic even though I have come across stuff about it.

Music

I tried to get music to work in my game as well but have been unable to do so at this time.

Creating New Entities For New Sounds?

I've read that one has to create a new entity if they want new sounds vs the method of replacing a sound with another one. I'm a newbie here too, is this like creating a mod? Or is creating an entity an entirely different en-devour?

I'm using worldcraft3.3 and I have no idea if the editor would accept any of this anyway.

There is a lot of stuff I need to figure out it or not figure out...

EARP

If you want to go for the direct approach...

all the sound files are inside of the sound folders within pak0 and pak1

you can use Pakscape to manage your pak files.

Create a pak2.pak (using pakscape). Inside of it create the identical directory structure for the sounds you want to replace, with filenames identical to the files you want to replace.

ex:

Pak0.pak ~ sound/weapons/sgun1.wav (original)
    Pak2.pak ~ sound/weapons/sgun1.wav (your replacement sound)

Pak2 should overwrite Pak0's cached sound when the game loads. This way you don't have to mess with your original quake Paks. If you ever decide you want to make changes you can just keep doing this method to Pak2 and your original quake files stay original. Just make sure your Pak2.pak is in the same folder as Pak0 and Pak1
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 05-22-2016, 06:11 AM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

quake sounds are .wav files 11Khz, dont change paks to zip. PK3 sure.
      Last edited by R00k; 05-21-2016, 09:59 PM.
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

@pk3...lol oh. Well, that explains why it never worked. oops.
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Thanks a lot for this info guys

Comment

You should really start to play existing mods. There are loads of Quake mods.
            Many of them replace sounds, models, textures and such.
            You will quickly learn how they work by simply looking at the mods content.

Creating a Quake mod without ever playing already existing Quake mods sounds strange and almost unbelievable. Most of your questions will be answered by looking at existing mods.

And most important is looking at your original pak files. They contain all the gamedata. Always keep the same folder structure for overriding files.

If you want to create new entities with new sound you need a mod. That is basically edit the qc code and create a new progs.dat. But this seems too big step for you at the moment.

Comment

Working...
            X