Should I Play With Mouselook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Play With Mouselook?

I want the original DOS experience of 1996. No mods. I have the Steam version and by default the mouselook is off. I thought I saw an old gameplay video of the DOS Quake and they were using mouselook. I am confused.

Type +mlook in the console.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
      Type +mlook in the console.
      Thank you but I mean should I use mouselook if I want to play it like it was played in 1996?

Comment

Quake always fully supported the mouse, even in 1996. If that is what you are trying to determine. But it was also made in a way that didn't require use of the mouse, probably so people used to playing Doom could do the keyboard way. It catered to both. I know you are looking for yes or no, but it was designed for both.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

The difference between doom and quake is that when you're shooting enemies in doom you dont have to look up or down but rather point your gun parallel to their vertical position. In quake that doesnt work, so thats why in the menu, under controls you're given 'look up' and 'look down' keys.

Furthermore the +mlook command was probably invented to deal with that. At the crucial transition from keyboard play to 360 degrees mouse aim. Using your mouse would make it easier to play, because not only you can turn faster but you can also aim up or down without constantly adjusting your aim by pressing keys on your keyboard while moving.

There is also a bouncing glob in later levels which moves very quickly and its hard to destroy unless you shoot it from a distance, without it starting to bounce around you. Its also hard battling those things with a mouse, so Im not sure how that could be pulled off just by using the keyboard.

Im not sure what difficulty setting you plan to play the game on. But I know since I played through it a few times, that even on 'medium' its pretty difficult - so you could try first on easy if you plan to try on keyboard first

After you're done with exploring the levels you can try playing multiplayer by connecting to the servers you see on the right
          The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

Its also interesting to note that if you let the game run after you launch it, it goes to 3 demos which most certainly look like they are being played with mouse by the designers, in this attract demo mode So maybe that answers your question a little bit
            The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

I once beat Quake on nightmare, all secrets, all monsters, never died once...I can't imagine doing that without a mouse. Lol.
              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

either use keyboard-only if you want to be some silly keyboard-turner, or use mlook. using a mouse without mlook is just silly.

or at least bind something like mouse3 to +mlook. oh look! that's the default settings!
                Some Game Thing

Comment

well i played quake originally using kb only.
                  this is because from Wolf3d to Doom 1, 2 etc. mice were not common to every computer. so for those game everyone use keyboard.
                  When Quake came out, mlook wasnt on by default, you had to add it to the autoexec.cfg (or hold down mouse3, but I never used it for at least a year!
                  then in ctf someone said '+mlook n00b!'... took me some time getting used to.

So, if u want oldschool gameplay ala doom yes kb but since Quake is a true 3d engine +mlook.
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I would recommend enabling +mlook highly.

Comment

I played Shadow Warrior (shareware demo version) in the early 2000's and beat all four levels across the span of less than a week.
                      Trying it again, now through DOSBox and it's taking me more than twice as long to get through it, and I could swear I'm saving/loading more frequnetly than I did before.

I don't know what's wrong with my config.
                      I don't remember having ANY mouse troubles when I played it in the times before when I was a lot younger (not even 14 yet, if i remember correctly), and therefore, it's entirely plausible that I simply wasn't playing Shadow Warrior with mouse controls.

I mean I remember playing Ken's Labyrinth on keyboard only and finishing all three episodes in full, and I did finish all 6 episodes of WolfenStein 3D except for the very last level (level 9 of episode 6) on a GamePad controller, so I'm pretty sure keyboard-only is the way to go for older DOS-based first-person shooters.
                      In which case, if you want to play Quake the way it was most conventionally played in 1996, you should probably not have +mlook on and all that.

Comment

Working...
                      X