Quake error: AllocBlock: full

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake error: AllocBlock: full

So I am putting HI-Res textures into my map, and have been setting the scale to 0.12. This has been working so far, but I applied a HI-Res texture to a set of walls and when my map loads up in proquake, I get the error AllocBlock: full.

Just wanted to know what this error means.

Thanks

it means one of two things, both related to lightmaps.
    1) it means your map has too many surfaces, and its just overflowing some staticly sized array thing. This is very likely if you're doing that scaling in your map editor. other engines will likely have higher limits, but dude, this is what replacement textures are for. stop trying to use 8bit crap with silly resolutions, because you're just going to destroy the lightmap cache anyway and thereby get terrible framerates.
    2) it means that a single surface somehow has sizes that are far too large, causing it to cascade a bit and fill the lot without actually using any of it. tbh, this one is a sort of engine bug - you ought to be getting a 'bad surface extents' error instead - which isn't helpful either, so this point is really just a technicality.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
    X