Quake 1996 compared to 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 1996 compared to 2016

A little comparison of what Quake looked like 20 years ago, and what it looks like today.

Here's to another 20 years of Quake!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlgOmSUF4M[/ame]

Cool video! Thanks for posting :-)

Comment

No problem! Long live Quake!

Comment

Hate me all you want. I don't like the one at the right side. Most of the time it's surrounded by fog, and I can't see a thing. Also, it's too bright. Vanilla is supposed to be dark, gritty and edgy - you're supposed to make an effort to see anything, but *not* because of the fog.

Now do me a favor, and GET OFF MY LAWN THIS INSTANT!

Comment

Hey I never said it was better. Just made an objective comparison

Comment

Hi Pie,

Very well done and as I'm sure you can guess I prefer the one on the right. I also like some of the new sound effects you have added. I think the expression in the states is "Good job"
            Thinking about it, you could probably expand this even more to highlight the differences between then and now, such as with comnparitive Pan shots around the different dormant monsters and maps. I'm sure Seven, Blood, and Talisa wouldn't mind giving you tips on how to make your DP look it's best.

Keep up the good work, we need all the showcasing we can get

edit: It wouldn't let me +1 rep you.

Kind regards

Monty
            Last edited by Mr.Burns; 06-26-2016, 08:39 AM.
            Mr.Burns
            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
            WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
            Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
              edit: It wouldn't let me +1 rep you.
              Don't worry about that. I really appreciate the thanks.

I would also like to clarify that I did not put together that build of Quake. It is know as the 'Epsilon' build. Link here: Quake "Epsilon" Build mod - Mod DB

As for panning shots, I will start recording right away!

Comment

So, PieFace, which version do you prefer?

Personally, I feel that all those chnages kind of take away from the original games abstract other-worldliness. The low res textures and low poly models give the game it's own sense of place. I just feel that all the high res stuff tries to place the Quake environment in the real world as opposed to something creepy and old living and breathing inside my PC... Dunno if that makes sense to anyone else!
                I got the phone call at 4 a.m.

Comment

Yeah I had fun poking around with Epsilon for a while but eventually went back to the original textures and stuff. It's really hard to retroactively change the textures and lighting and effects etc. and still end up with something that looks like it has good art direction.

Personally when I think about what Quake looks like today, I think more in terms of new custom maps running in a good solid modern Quake engine. E.g. Steam Community :: Johnny Law :: Screenshots

Horses for courses tho!

Comment

Originally posted by Hipnotic Rogue View Post
                    So, PieFace, which version do you prefer?
                    Out of the two shown I prefer the 1996 one, however I don't use either of them on a regular basis.

Darkplaces is inherently optimised and the Epsilon build even more so. I like to keep Quake at 60 FPS at all times, and that doesn't happen with Epsilon, at least on my CPU

I use Darkplaces with pretty water and rlights most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X