Spamming servers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spamming servers...

Just a head's up, some asshole's spamming some of the servers,"Skeletor" 173.255.192
    EzJacK

That got me thinking...

Has anyone tried to exploit Net/Quake/World and/or Q2 servers to gain root access to the underlying hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by Izhido View Post
      That got me thinking...

Has anyone tried to exploit Net/Quake/World and/or Q2 servers to gain root access to the underlying hardware?
      I don't know if anybody actually has. But I recall about 2 years ago someone came across a vulnerability in the code for the KTX server mod for Quakeworld that could have potentially allowed access. It has since been fixed.

Comment

@izhido, yes.
        one of the mvdsv developers used an exploit to gain access in order to upgrade the version of mvdsv+ktx running on a popular-but-outdated server. obviously when the server admin realised, he took down the server completely.

the vanilla quakeworld client+servers had numerous stack smashing holes. don't run vanilla.
        the vanilla nq source was in a much better state (ignoring the 'idgods' console-access backdoor that was present in at least one pre-source-release binaries).

never run a game server as root. not even non-quake ones.
        Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by EzJacK View Post
          Just a head's up, some asshole's spamming some of the servers,"Skeletor" 173.255.192
          EzJacK
          I seen that a few days ago, I think it was Sunday evening.
          Join/Quit spams...

Didn't affect my bandwidth or ability to play.
          Just very annoying..

Comment

Originally posted by EzJacK View Post
            EzJacK
            Might be worth letting Slot, Zop or possibly Painkiller know in case they have the appropriate access to the back end logs and may wish to add this individual to the ban list?

Kind regards

Monty
            Mr.Burns
            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
            WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
            Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Working...
            X