Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Useful Mod Info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Useful Mod Info

    So, while I was making my DM mod (which I will post at some point), I changed the shotgun to have no spread (to make it a slug). After testing it, I realized that it shot a bit lower than the crosshair.

    Looking through the code, I found this line in weapons.qc on line 254 in FireBullets:

    src_z = self.absmin_z + self.size_z * 0.7;

    To fix the inaccuracy, I found that replacing the 0.7 with 0.85 seemed to work very well:

    src_z = self.absmin_z + self.size_z * 0.85;

    Hope this is useful to someone .

  • #2
    0.8214285714285714 would be more accurate.
    or src = self.origin+self.view_ofs; would give you the best precision.

    also, remember that FireBullets is used by grunts too, so you should probably try to avoid breaking that.
    Some Game Thing

    Comment


    • #3
      It's a deathmatch mod so he doesn't care about grunts, but to anyone else making a mod with monsters that's a valid point.

      Originally posted by Spike View Post
      .. also, remember that FireBullets is used by grunts too, so you should probably try to avoid breaking that.

      Comment


      • #4
        i thought default Server-Side QuakeC was

        Code:
        source = self.origin + '0 0 16';
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

        Comment


        • #5
          and default view_ofs is '0 0 22'. hence why the aiming is off by 6qu with other weapons.

          the .7 value gives about origin+15.2, which is vaugely consistent with the other weapons, as r00k says.
          Some Game Thing

          Comment


          • #6
            It is interesting to see that sometimes the same topic is discussed multiple times within a short time.
            And Spike always explains things tirelessly and patiently.
            http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...crosshair.html

            Comment


            • #7
              Well that worked a ton better. Thanks! I guess I still need to grab all the ropes on quakec.

              Comment


              • #8
                Honestly? The best way to grab the ropes is to just start trying to break them. Unlike the old adage about C ("it gives you enough rope to hang yourself"), it's really difficult to spectacularly break things with QuakeC. Yes, there are some very interesting ways to make your mod crash, but that is about as bad as it gets. And with the infamous TouchLinks crash fixed in most engines these days, most mod crashes will just end with you being dumped to console.
                Intelligence is knowing that there is an 'i' in "community".
                Wisdom is knowing that there is no 'i' in "community".

                Comment


                • #9
                  Breaking ropes? Boy, is the English language weird

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    What I meant by ropes

                    Originally posted by yesterday View Post
                    Honestly? The best way to grab the ropes is to just start trying to break them. Unlike the old adage about C ("it gives you enough rope to hang yourself"), it's really difficult to spectacularly break things with QuakeC. Yes, there are some very interesting ways to make your mod crash, but that is about as bad as it gets. And with the infamous TouchLinks crash fixed in most engines these days, most mod crashes will just end with you being dumped to console.
                    What I specifically meant by "grab the ropes" was to say that I haven't really learned all of the useful functions and variables yet. Fuck, I didn't know what makevectors was until yesterday (thanks cobalt)! Really wish there was a shrug emoticon.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Me too, ascii works fine \_(ツ)_/




                      Originally posted by SpecialBomb View Post
                      Really wish there was a shrug emoticon.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SpecialBomb View Post
                        Fuck, I didn't know what makevectors was until yesterday (thanks cobalt)!
                        I'm going to assume that you weren't attempting an awful pun there.
                        Intelligence is knowing that there is an 'i' in "community".
                        Wisdom is knowing that there is no 'i' in "community".

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X