No announcement yet.

Best way to edit .mdl files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this "idea" essentially came to me when I realized that quake, in a sense, can be used as an educational tool. I wanted to kinda start a game design club in my school where we would teach ourselves map design on our shitty laptops. So, I started looking into legal things, and I discovered about the textures not being distributable. Then I thought, "Hey, make a free version of quake!" while I was still excited about it. Looking back now, it's not really a good idea to do this.

What I am still willing to do is try and make a super small game from scratch using pretty much boxes as models. It would help me understand quakec a bit better. But, I still should just stick to modding and mapping rather than dumping all of my time and energy into a useless project.

Which reminds me that I'm still working on a mod, which I might post here in a bit when I think it's a bit more "rich." Anyway, I don't think I should jump the gun so fast. I'll make a separate post on my mod.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialBomb View Post
      What I am still willing to do is try and make a super small game from scratch using pretty much boxes as models.
      That is exactly what Quake did

It would help me understand quakec a bit better. But, I still should just stick to modding and mapping rather than dumping all of my time and energy into a useless project.
      It is rather difficult/impossible to make a complete game alone. History told us many times how people failed half way....
      You should better decide which part of a game you want to learn/practice. If you choice falls on gamecode (QuakeC) then shall it be. And you can put all your efforts into that part ... making a beautiful gamecode mod can be just as refreshing and good as making a new model.

Best of Luck.

Comment

(I'm calling it FreeDM)
        Heh, that name is already taken for another project
        Freedoom ? Download

Comment

Can anyone help me pls i downloaded Qme 3.0 from the link on this thread but my computer gave me the "This app can not run on your PC" message

Comment

@quadrocket,
            If you use windows,what type did you download?
            The 32-bit version or the 64-bit version?
            I use windows 10 32-bit.
            Dude,lets party!
            Bring some food and drink.I got Arcane Dimensions 2.666!?!

Comment

Originally posted by ijazz View Post
              @quadrocket,
              If you use windows,what type did you download?
              The 32-bit version or the 64-bit version?
              I use windows 10 32-bit.
              I do use windows 8.1 64 bit but i don't know which the program is cause the link didn't say and it came with no documentation

Comment

Hello quadrocket,

QME´s installer doesnt like 64-bit. But the program runs fine on it (once its installed).
                Here you can download a installed full version of QME 3.1.

Extract it wherever you want and start the program with qme.exe.

Best wishes,
                Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                  Hello quadrocket,

QME´s installer doesnt like 64-bit. But the program runs fine on it (once its installed).
                  Here you can download a installed full version of QME 3.1.

Extract it wherever you want and start the program with qme.exe.

Best wishes,
                  Seven
                  thanks seven but my computer detected a virus
                  Last edited by quadrocket; 10-16-2016, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Hello quadrocket,

Do not worry, the file I uploaded is save to use. I scanned it for you:
                    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/5...is/1476717965/
                    Maybe you clicked on a wrong spot on the download page...

But you are correct, you should never trust a monkey with a gun in its hands

Anyway, if you do not trust me, you can download the exact same files from here: click me softly
                    But you will miss all the colormap files inside.

Have fun with your Quake,
                    Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                      Hello quadrocket,

Do not worry, the file I uploaded is save to use. I scanned it for you:
                      https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/5...is/1476717965/
                      Maybe you clicked on a wrong spot on the download page...

But you are correct, you should never trust a monkey with a gun in its hands

Anyway, if you do not trust me, you can download the exact same files from here: click me softly
                      But you will miss all the colormap files inside.

Have fun with your Quake,
                      Seven
                      Thank you sooo much seven you have bin super helpfull. that file downloaded and ran perfectly. I wan't you to know it isn't a matter of trust i turned of my virus software just to download from the other link but when i turned it back on it quarantined everything and wouldn't let me run it. Anyway thanks again this will make my skinning much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by quadrocket View Post
                        thanks seven but my computer detected a virus
                        Depending on your antivirus software, some files can be identified as false positives. I don't think a guy like Seven would spread viruses around.
                        ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                        ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Well, I got the blender plug-in working. I used the zip install method rather than trying to implement the .py files myself. I have kinda given up on my project, but at least I have an easier way to modify Quake models.

Comment

Working...
                          X