X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Quake Clients

Hey guys,

what are the current mac quake clients?

I'm interested in starting a quake class at my local high school so i need access to the best and most updated clients for all platforms.

let me know

text me at 323 397 5002 or email me [email protected] or reply to this message. thanks!

Quakespasm is very reliable on the Mac. (Windows, Mac, Linux)

DarkPlaces ... very likely. (Windows, Mac, Linux)

That's pretty much the beginning and end of stable Quake Mac clients that are mature/road tested and feature rich.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

how about ProQuake 4: The official continuation of ProQuake

Comment

Originally posted by woods View Post
        Lol baker is the dev for proquake. Just had to point out the irony in this.
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by woods View Post
          Back at the release date it was great, and as you likely know a lot of your work when into that.

But every OS X/MacOS upgrade breaks Mac apps, they keep fiddling with the API, deprecating things, making things not work.

You can read this article if you are curious:

The unbearable fragility of modern Mac OS X development | publicspace.net blog

But Apple has the idea that every OS version, they can just break apps and people will invest a few weeks accommodating their new features that whack out things ("we decided a 3 finger gesture will take you out of an application now!" --- gee, that's inconvenient for a game ) or deprecated or disallowed changes.

When they released El Capetain, for instance, they decided the "Maximize Window" button would instead of making a window full size that instead it will go full-screen. Mavericks broke Quakespasm's gamma as another example. Just a couple, there are too many to list.

/I'm just not very interesting in playing a that game for a free project. Not even Linux put you through that!
          Last edited by Baker; 08-31-2016, 11:20 PM.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

When I played on a Mac I always used Darkplaces. I had problems getting other clients working properly. Darkplaces was the only one that worked right for me.

Comment

Darkplaces, like QuakeSpasm, uses SDL.
              Such engines will work as well on mac as they do on other platforms, supposedly.
              If it stops working, just update SDL and recompile.
              Some Game Thing

Comment

One of the Mac OS version upgrades completely broke SDL 1.2 in 2014, as I recall.

Here Ryan C. Gordon talks about it in a thread reporting the problem:

https://forums.libsdl.org/viewtopic.php?p=45264

Apple has done things like this enough times and it seems like they don't really care.

This was probably one of the driving forces causing Quakespasm to get an SDL2 build.

Comment

thanks for the input

I just figured that in 2016 there would be a mac go to client because after all; people use macs a lot more than they used to.

Comment

Working...
                  X