My First Shitty Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Shitty Mod

So, as I have delved deeper into quake, I have been taking some quakec lessons by the ever amazing Cobalt.

Through these lessons, I had a kind of idea to change up deathmatch a bit by enriching some features, and making some of my own changes.

The premise is this: Why use a lesser version of a gun, when you have a better one to use?

From that, I had a couple of ideas:
    • Make the Nailgun shoot sticky nails that players can step on.
    • Make the Super Nailgun a chaingun.
    • Make the regular shotgun do 40 damage, and have 100% accuracy, like a slug shooter.
    • Make the Super Shotgun do 75~ damage on all pellets, square off the spread, and add kickback.
    • Remove the randomness from the Grenades.

That's all there really is, plus power up dropping and other stuff (read the full list here)

It makes the game a bit more complex, subtly in a couple ways, but it's at no means a complex mod. I was looking at it at a more game design approach rather than a major coding project.

I'm not just posting it yet, as it has some sticking sore thumbs, like the fact that nails won't stick to and follow objects (still trying to figure it out), and that due to the amount of nails there can be, only DP7 protocol can only really be used, despite being 100% compatible with original quake.

In the next couple days, I'll be asking about the nails problem, as I am no quakec master yet.

Hope you have some sort of enjoyment out of it when I get it completed to a point I like.

I read through your list, nice. There's a few changes on there I always thought would be better than some of the vanilla quake rules.

If you want any help on the nails, just let me know. I've been through all of that 'stick to the world and players' business.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Aye, need to sleep tonight tho. I have a sickness I have caught from school.

Comment

Hello SpecialBomb,

Get well soon and catch some sleep to bring your health bar to 100 again.

Regarding the nails modification:
        Cobalt should know how to do it, because I have taught him a while ago.
        Basically it is how the SMC does it, plus a _touch() function.

Most of the other changes you want to add can be done by adjusting already existing values. You do not need new code for them. And if you need new code, it is already in original 1.06 source and you only need to copy it.

That is a good way to start coding.
        You picked interesting points and your changes make sense, but do not need new/complex code.
        I am sure you will be able to do it.

Have fun coding,
        Seven.

Comment

Yeah, he did say something about you teaching him, but he couldn't find the code, or explain it well enough for me. My first attempt didn't work, it just kinda made the nails boomerang rather than do what I actually wanted them to. I did discover that MOVETYPE_FLY allowed my stuck nails to follow the tops of moving objects.

Anyway, I feel like shit, imma take it ez today.

Comment

sticky nails

Here's my advice:

Take it one single step at a time.

Make just one thing work, remove bugs, and tweak to your desired perfection level. Then move on to the next thing.
            I am constantly relearning this simple lesson.

>Make the Nailgun shoot sticky nails that players can step on.

This is a bug in the PainKeep pulse nailgun code!

I do indeed have code that leaves nails stuck in things. I made mine inert, but all you have to do is leave the touch function active.

If you want the assist, you can message me here or on the .qc forums

There is also much example code in the tutorials and the vault.

Good luck with your first mod!

Support free code and get credit! - Hint "Pledge 24" comes with extra releases.

Comment

Hi i played your mod on darkplaces online some days go, It was very fun keep it up not bad!

Comment

It won't be your last shitty mod...hah hah I'm just kiddin. Good job, so far. Keep up the work.
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
                X