Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do people really hate tarbabies that much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people really hate tarbabies that much?

Having recently played a large number of user maps, I don't think I've ever once noticed any tarbabies. Granted, I wouldn't want to see them very often, but I think they're fun to encounter once in awhile.

edit: Maybe I should have posted this in the single player forum, as what I'm asking partly pertains to user created maps.

IMO tarbabies are not very balanced enemies for a good gameplay
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Tarbabies killed my parents. They also threw my dog off a bridge and told me I was ugly. Twice.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMaster View Post
        Tarbabies killed my parents. They also threw my dog off a bridge and told me I was ugly. Twice.
        No way, you too?

Lol they're ok, I guess. They would be better (i.e. more balanced) if they had half the health. Vanilla Quake lacks a good long range weapon like a rifle...it's hard to hit them with nails and by the time you're switching over to a shotgun you're close enough to blow yourself up on them.

They are great for causing monster fights and giving you time to get the hell out of a monster-jammed room, I will say.
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Yes.
          ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
          ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think this thread title might be racist.

Comment

Yeah wtf!?

Last edited by Phenom; 09-17-2016, 10:35 AM.
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Focalor View Post
                That's just what they were called. Its not racist silly.

Comment

introducing - the lava-bomb

I made "hot" spawns

hint: the ones that look like lava
                  the green with the yellow spots are just from mp2

They come with all the mp2 refinements as well.
                  numbersix - Mod DB [_] Six Gaming

Support free code and get credit! - Hint "Pledge 24" comes with extra releases.

Comment

@numbersix Lava spawns? Huh, the originals already are a major pain in the ass! What does this version do besides looking more colorful?

@Sgt-PieFace Nice meme! Stolen.
                    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

I think that maybe Quake needed a totally wacky off-the wall monster, so that is why this one was created. Possible explanation?lol Yea, you really got to be careful around them
                      The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

Originally posted by nahuel View Post
                        IMO tarbabies are not very balanced enemies for a good gameplay
                        Agree.

I had played the shareware version of Q1 way back in the day, was probably using keyboard only like many of us who played the Doom games and Duke3D, and never saw one of those things back then. I recently got ahold of a full version of Q1 and wanted to finally give all 4 episodes a playthrough. If I would've had to play Q1 with keyboard start to finish way back then, there would've been NO WAY that I would've beaten the game without using godmode to cheat in a few spots, especially when dealing with those blobby little stupid things. It was pretty tough landing killshots on them even with a mouse. I like a challenge, but jesus buttfuckin christ, those damn things are ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Focalor View Post
                          We need to be tolerant with tarbabies.

Tarbabies are welcome
                          the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

lavabomb upgrade to spawn

@bfg666

Heh heh. They got a few upgrades:

Code:
                            		setmodel(self,"progs/lavabomb.mdl"); // this model has rocket trail flag set
                            		self.th_missile = tbaby_shot;
                            		if (random() < 0.75) self.th_pain = tbaby_mitosis;
                            		self.netname = "Bomb"
                            Description:

-------- CAT -------
                            "Lavabomb" - the new uber spawn, Lava mode
                            "random" - select a rogue type at random
                            "Super" - larger tarbaby, all versions
                            Mitosis is from mp2 - do enough damage (without blowing up) and it splits into 2 spawns.

And they fire lava balls with tbaby_shot:

Code:
                            	boss_missile(v0);
                            	newmis.dmg = 20 + random() * 4;

if (self.spawnflags & TB_SUPER) // large baby, larger shot, more dmg
                            		newmis.dmg = 40 + random() * 8;
                            Since I used boss_missile and didnt change touch, I'll say they explode with the set dmg.

So, yeah a room full of these would suck a good bit more than ordinary spawns.
                            But then I always like spawns, and centroids. So I gave them both a boost.
                            numbersix - Mod DB [_] Six Gaming

Support free code and get credit! - Hint "Pledge 24" comes with extra releases.

Comment

Today I was playing a small map called 'From out of Nowhere' and I was so happy and surprised to discover tarbabies in the map! The map itself wasn't anything special, but it was great to finally see this enemy type again.

Comment

Working...
                              X