Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do people really hate tarbabies that much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Voros View Post
    Fuck tarbabies.

Shamblers rule!
    Lets see you kill tarbabies with an axe like you can with shamblers. :]
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Are we allowed a pent?
      ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
      ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

@phenom, forget the RotFish, this looks creepier!

www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Holy shit! SOMEONE PLEASE MODEL THIS!!! I love the eel from DoE and the hydra from the SMC, but we still don't have enough aquatic monsters in Quake.

R00k, you should upload this pic to the "inspiration and reference" thread over at Func_Msgboard.

Comment

Ech, I'd kill that. I'd model it myself but I can't Blender for shit.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
              Holy shit! SOMEONE PLEASE MODEL THIS!!! I love the eel from DoE and the hydra from the SMC, but we still don't have enough aquatic monsters in Quake.

R00k, you should upload this pic to the "inspiration and reference" thread over at Func_Msgboard.
              challenge accepted! gimme a few weeks. this is gonna be grisly.
              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Dutch, you just made my day! When you're done you should submit it to Sock for inclusion in AD 1.5.

Comment

Following up

From my research map - all 5 flavors of hot tarbabies

The 5th one is cooled solidified and dead, of course.

Hrm. I thought that map had the larger ones on it as well.
                  Need to fix that.
                  numbersix - Mod DB [_] Six Gaming

Support free code and get credit! - Hint "Pledge 24" comes with extra releases.

Comment

the drake mod also has multiple colors of tarbabies:

although ive played drake-maps which used them and afaik they dont act any differently from each other and
                    are purely made to add color variation and to be able to make tarbabies blend in with the theme of any maps
                    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Why do they have teeth? Tarbabies don't have teeth. Also, the inside of their mouth not being darker than their skin looks bad.

Comment

thats ruohis' hi-poly replacement model, so the model is ruohis' interpretation of the creature

i only made the different skins, the model itself was made by ruohis
                        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Well you should darken the inside of their mouths, it looks weird like that.

Comment

Originally posted by numbersix View Post
                            @bfg666

Heh heh. They got a few upgrades:

Code:
                            		setmodel(self,"progs/lavabomb.mdl"); // this model has rocket trail flag set
                            		self.th_missile = tbaby_shot;
                            		if (random() < 0.75) self.th_pain = tbaby_mitosis;
                            		self.netname = "Bomb"
                            Description:

Mitosis is from mp2 - do enough damage (without blowing up) and it splits into 2 spawns.

And they fire lava balls with tbaby_shot:

Code:
                            	boss_missile(v0);
                            	newmis.dmg = 20 + random() * 4;

if (self.spawnflags & TB_SUPER) // large baby, larger shot, more dmg
                            		newmis.dmg = 40 + random() * 8;
                            Since I used boss_missile and didnt change touch, I'll say they explode with the set dmg.

So, yeah a room full of these would suck a good bit more than ordinary spawns.
                            But then I always like spawns, and centroids. So I gave them both a boost.
                            Does "boss_missile(v0)" mean the 1st version of the boss_missile?

Comment

Yes I hate tarbabies, worst Quake enemy
                              Make Quake Great Again

Comment

In my case i haven't had much issues with them. I suppose that what ticks off most people is that they aren't controllable and they are so much different game play-wise to the other enemies, taking into account that we mastered this days so much the killing of Quake enemies that is doable to axe any enemy without receiving a hit. That is the reason i like tarbabies more and more this last years for mapping.

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                                What about Graboids!? Would such a monster even be possible in Quake 1?

As in you can't even hurt them until they emerge from the ground? All you'd see is a trail of dust getting closer at an alarming pace then all the sudden you're dealing with the mother of all worms, and she's hella pissed!

I'd love to see this in Quake and I don't think I've ever seen any monster like this, only flying, walking, swimming but no tunneling monsters... kinda bums me out because I feel such a monster would fit in nicely with the Quake atmosphere.

The closest thing i know are the Skarrows from Undying, but you can't see them approaching, so gameplay wise, its like they just teleport in and out.

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                                Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                                Originally posted by R00k View Post
                                @phenom, forget the RotFish, this looks creepier!

challenge accepted! gimme a few weeks. this is gonna be grisly.

Please do, for the reasons bg666 explained. Thats another of the reasons i would like to see custom DoE maps, but as far as i remember the one that uses the most things from DoE are my speedmaps from sm175, and they are speedmaps, hasty done and don't have much from DoE.

Also, if you could, I know that in this community high polygon models and high resolution textures are preferred, but i ask you to do another version with not too many more polygons compared with Id creatures would be good so we mappers could use it in new custom maps.
                                Last edited by Cocerello; 10-15-2016, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X