I could use some help and advice. Quake Setup on old PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could use some help and advice. Quake Setup on old PC

Hello, I have not visited here in a long time but now I could use some help.
    I built a Win98 PC with 2 Voodoo2 Cards in SLI

I was looking to run some of the older Games I loved years ago. So Naturally I went to GLQuake as a start.
    But I read, that there were updated textures ect available with a newer engine, so I looked at darkplaces. It works flawlessly on my (Standard) PC Win10 64 ect...

But I want to see if it can run on my old win98 machine. Looking back into his old files list I was able to get a exe that will run on win98, but it will not Use my Voodoo2 cards, it always uses my onboard video card, which is a 2 meg crap one, so it will not work.

So in a nutshell What client should I use, so I can run my voodoo2 cards? And will I be able to use the high rez textures ect... (They look SO awesome)

Thank you for reading this Long post.

Ok so I'm not that familiar with older hardware or operating systems, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

You may want to try Mark V FitzQuake (link here http://quakeone.com/news/site-news/8...ke-mark-v.html)

That will give you a little more capability and should make setting things up a little easier.

I think you may have a hard time getting updated texture and such running on older windows 98 compatible clients however.

(Now the stuff I actually know about)

If you want help setting up a modern client, and getting it looking as kick ass as possible, I can get you set up in no time flat. Here's a comparison of standard quake VS a built Darkplaces client: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlgOmSUF4M[/ame]

I hope you either get the help you need for playing on Windows 98, or get yourself set up with a modern client. Either way, happy Quaking, and welcome back!

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I actually Do have darkplaces with the Ultra textures ect... working great on a "New" pc The difference is truly amazing. But what do you expect with a 4Gb Video card,32 cores, and 128Gb Ram.

I may have narrowed my problem down some. Depending on What I read, it looks like darkplaces is not a glide client, but a OpenGL one. This could be my issue, as I am trying to Use the 3dfx Native Glide. This could be why my on-board card is trying to run and not the voodoo2. I don't think voodoo2 supported openGl..... did it?

Comment

Originally posted by Loopey1 View Post
        I may have narrowed my problem down some. Depending on What I read, it looks like darkplaces is not a glide client, but a OpenGL one. This could be my issue, as I am trying to Use the 3dfx Native Glide. This could be why my on-board card is trying to run and not the voodoo2. I don't think voodoo2 supported openGl..... did it?
        I'm not the right person to ask about old hardware, so I can't really help on that front.

I just asked a friend of my who knows a lot about Darkplaces, and he said it used DirectX rendering. If you can find on older build of Darkplaces, I think it used to use GL.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Loopey1 View Post
          Thank you for the reply. I actually Do have darkplaces with the Ultra textures ect... working great on a "New" pc The difference is truly amazing. But what do you expect with a 4Gb Video card,32 cores, and 128Gb Ram.

Ah the old 3Dfx Voodoo2. Those were cool. They produced nice brilliant colors in the games designed for them a lot better than the other nvidia cards, just in my opinion anyway.

But if you're looking to run a newer client with updated textures on a Win98 antique with a 4 or 8mb video card, it ain't gonna work. Those 3Dfx cards became completely obsolete and newer programs/clients won't use it. I know Q2 had a 3dfx vid_ref with its stock client, not sure about Q1, maybe it did. But probably your best bet would be to run the game 100% stock from the original disc. I'd assume a 4 to 8mb vid card with probably no more than 700-ish mb RAM max and a 450-600mhz CPU wouldnt handle those newer huge PNG images well... IF you got a newer client on there that would run through a 3dfx card (very very unlikely). And if you're gonna do that, might as well keep playing on the modern PC and forget about it.

Keep that card in good working order though. You never know, with how short-lived it's popularity and usage was, a working one might become a sought after collectors item in a few more decades.
          Last edited by Focalor; 09-30-2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Dont give up yet!

From wiki:
            (yes, get another bucket of salt)

Support for game development tools including Gemini OpenGVS, Multigen, GameGen, SGI Open GL, Glide, Direct 3D, Mini GL and Autodesk 3D Studio under DOD, Win 32 and IRIX.
            From what I remember of those days...

Win98 was pretty picky on hardware. You had to have the exactly right drivers installed.
            Drivers that shipped with hardware did not always enable every feature.

Things might be easier driver wise with a Banshee or Voodoo3.
            They both had 2D rendering on board, thus not requiring a separate video card tie in.

Another thing to look at is GL features software is attempting to use.
            I've had issues (mostly under linux) where something would crash out until a certain feature was turned off.
            Either in the driver config or the software config. And darkplaces has a lot of options.

Another thought - if some specific failure is referenced when you run the engine, try a search on that term.

Good luck!
            numbersix - Mod DB [_] Six Gaming

Support free code and get credit! - Hint "Pledge 24" comes with extra releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Focalor View Post
              Ah the old 3Dfx Voodoo2. Those were cool. They produced nice brilliant colors in the games designed for them a lot better than the other nvidia cards, just in my opinion anyway.

But if you're looking to run a newer client with updated textures on a Win98 antique with a 4 or 8mb video card, it ain't gonna work. Those 3Dfx cards became completely obsolete and newer programs/clients won't use it. I know Q2 had a 3dfx vid_ref with its stock client, not sure about Q1, maybe it did. But probably your best bet would be to run the game 100% stock from the original disc. I'd assume a 4 to 8mb vid card with probably no more than 700-ish mb RAM max and a 450-600mhz CPU wouldnt handle those newer huge PNG images well... IF you got a newer client on there that would run through a 3dfx card (very very unlikely). And if you're gonna do that, might as well keep playing on the modern PC and forget about it.

Keep that card in good working order though. You never know, with how short-lived it's popularity and usage was, a working one might become a sought after collectors item in a few more decades.
              I actually Bought 2 Voodoo2 Black Magic cards and Have them in SLI mode. While not Huge it is Sporting 24 meg or Ram. Running a PIII 700 Celeron with 512 Meg Ram. System is Stable and I am running Several "old" games on it. Quake 1 2 3 Team Arena Ect... Unreal 1 2 GOTY ect.. They All run really nicely. I was just having some minor issues with GLQuake for some reason and when I seen some of the newer Clients that added SO much new features like Using Files for the Audio ect... I was like I have to have it. LOL But even going WAY back into the Darkplaces Archive That program seemed to always use the Onboard Intel 1 Meg Video card and never try to use the Voodoo cards. Never worked like I hoped. The newer GL Engine... Fitz? Dislikes Win98 Or my Voodoo cards. one of the 2, Just Pukes out. LOL

I also have a special Old GLQuake.exe that I would love to somehow extract the data from. (Is that possible??) It does some rather interesting things, and I would like to see how these things were done.

Comment

I had a Win98 P3 500mhz with a S3 Savage4 8mb video card and 56k dialup modem that I played Quake2 on back in the day. I've still kept it running and used it up until Dec 2015 as a recording studio machine with my old copy of Sonic Foundry ACID Music 2.0, until the PSU finally went kaput. But at one point around 2001 I tried to upgrade the video card to some kinda 32 or 64mb card, hoping it would run old games lightning fast. Some, it did. But anything using OpenGL and not Direct3D wouldn't run. Which meant no Q2, which really pissed me off because being able to run Q2 as fast as possible was the entire reason I wanted to upgrade the video to begin with. So yeah, like numbersix said, Win98 was great because the background applications were few and unbloated, but they had weird quirks with software and hardware combos and drivers at times.

I miss those days. Computers were so much simpler then. ...Usually

Comment

Working...
                X