Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walljumping Demonstration

Hello!

One day, I had an idea to add walljumping to quake after playing a bit of warsow. So, after quite a bit, I finally got something 100% bug free. There are some exploits (as you will see), but they are either negligible, or hard to do. Hope you guys like it.

note: since I am not that good of a typist, there will be some odd pauses. That's me trying to explain what's going on, so be patient!

Map: dm1

wj.dem

It's actually been done before.

Quake Matrix

http://quake-1.com/quakec-gallery/Matrix05C_SRC.zip

It's in the source code there somewhere.

And R00k coded wall "climbing" in a deathmatch mod.

Wall climbing would be a great QuakeC tutorial.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Sheit

Well, at least I did it from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialBomb View Post
        Sheit

Never turn away from a project just cause someone already did it! You'll never learn that way, and you may even make it better. Good job bro.

Aside: I got your PM, just been a little busy. I'll get back to you soon.
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Sheit

Do you know how to do wall climbing?

If you want to be famous, take progs 1.06 and recompile with wall climbing. Throw the progs.dat in a pak2.pak and put it in a .zip file ...

Then do a thread like "Single Player With Wall Climbing - Re-Experience Single Player in Any Engine In A Whole New Way!"

Do you how many people would play that? Probably a lot just out of curiosity.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
            Then do a thread like "Single Player With Wall Climbing - Re-Experience Single Player in Any Engine In A Whole New Way!"

hahahah ! will be cool! Also I wanna see some monsters walking in the walls like xenomorph does
            the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              Do you know how to do wall climbing?

If you want to be famous, take progs 1.06 and recompile with wall climbing. Throw the progs.dat in a pak2.pak and put it in a .zip file ...

I'm not sure, it would have a lot of movement abilities. For example, you hold down your shift key to hang onto a wall, then you can climb around. What lacks here is ease of use. The reason why 3D games (on pc, at least) don't have wallclimbing, because you would need another "wasd" setup like "ijkl" to control it properly. Hell, it's even harder to use in first person because you would need your view restricted for it to work correctly. But, it is a cool idea. Not in multiplayer though, that's obviously would cause unjust camping, and would slow down movement.

Side note to baker:

It seemed as if you were looking at my mod as a singleplayer feature, but it's not. This is for modes like deathmatch to add another layer of skill for players to learn. It isn't just supposed to be "cool." I am a multiplayer modder, not a singleplayer modder.

Comment

Another issue with wall climbing is checking for walls at an angle. Because of the limits of the Quake engine on smooth movement, it would be ridiculously difficult to make the transition from one wall to another without it being sickening. Not only that, how the hell am I supposed to check if I am about to transition to another wall? My current solution to this would be to have certain triggers that detect and teleport the player to the next wall. This would work, but custom maps would have to be made.

Another problem with this is angled triggers, which if somebody knows how to do, please tell.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to make it anyway, it's just something that wouldn't be interesting, in my opinion. Now, my friend said to take this further, and make wall running, which I am interested in doing.

Comment

Baker, try fte's 'spiderpig' cheat some time. yes, a simpsons reference.

SpecialBomb, custom player physics, via tracebox, or something. then you can detect walls and apply traction relative to those walls. I'd give an example implementation but I'm too lazy and you're probably targetting an engine that doesn't even support basic stuff like tracebox so it'd probably not be useful anyway.
                  Some Game Thing

Comment

I always wished Downsider released this when he was working on PlayStation Portable Quake mods:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GaDMSTLWfs[/ame]
                    Last edited by Baker; 10-02-2016, 03:54 PM.

Comment

The reason why 3D games (on pc, at least) don't have wallclimbing, because you would need another "wasd" setup like "ijkl" to control it properly.
                      Aliens vs Predator 2 did this perfectly with only the standard controls, and the view wasn't restricted. On the contrary, the alien's FOV was expanded to something like maybe 120-130.
                      ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                      ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                        Aliens vs Predator 2 did this perfectly with only the standard controls, and the view wasn't restricted. On the contrary, the alien's FOV was expanded to something like maybe 120-130.
                        Dammit, you beat me to it! I was just going to bring AvP2 up. They did a fantastic job of making the xenomorph walk-walk. SpecialBomb, if you haven't played AvP2, you might track down a copy and study up on how they implemented wall-walking.

I was sad when the multiplayer community on that game died. Really fun online.
                        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Yeah, this game was dope! I'll need to replay it someday. As for MP, I guess you can still round up a few friends for a LAN party.
                          ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                          ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                            Ill check it out, sounds cool. I may not have any product from it any time soon though, because school is ramping up right now. I'm giving QuakeC an overall break for now, but I'll work on my mod when I have free time.

That Cobalt Runner mod was cool too, I wonder if it was powered by triggers, or if there was complex level analysis to it. It seemed to only work on right angles though, which I expected. It's really hard to do checks that look at curved surfaces. One crazy idea I had once was just doing a ton of tracelines to build a path for wallrunning or climbing. That's really resource heavy for multiplayer though, and could occasionally make you clip through walls. But hey, you gotta design levels around this stuff anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X