Quake Tenebrae sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Tenebrae sky

If I remember correctly Tenebrae had a nice sky (or skybox don't remember, it was many years ago) that was quite similar in color to the one used in some Quoth maps (start map and e1m2quotha for example). I liked it and I wonder if it's possibile to extract it.
    Make Quake Great Again

I bet its possible, use this tool http://www.quaketerminus.com/tools/pakexplr.zip
    i don't have tenebrae though

Comment

I cant find tenebrae, plus it doesn't have a pak file if I remember well
      Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Hello Blood Vengeance,

Yes, when you install Tenebrae and start it, it will automatically create a subfolder with all the core files. It also includes sky1 and sky4.
        But they are static (like a skybox).

Here are tenebrae screenshots that shows some skies:

The most impressive feature ot Tenebrae at that time (and still today !!) for me is the atmospheric fog, which is still better than Darkplaces and FTE.

And if you look at the water caustics (inside and outside), Tenebrae still plays in the 1st league of Q1 engines.
        Especially the underwater caustics looks incredible:

Best wishes,
        Seven

Comment

You can find Tenebrae here (unofficial builds, newer?) or here (official build, older).

As the official Tenebrae sourceforge download page doesn't work, you can work out the urls to the different available files by looking at this file.
          – Moon[Drunk]'s Quake Graphics
          – Quake Revitalization/Retexturing Project

Comment

Could somebody give me a quick rundown of how to get this working on a modern OS? It keeps crashing for me :/

Comment

Originally posted by Moon[Drunk] View Post
              You can find Tenebrae here (unofficial builds, newer?) or here (official build, older).

As the official Tenebrae sourceforge download page doesn't work, you can work out the urls to the different available files by looking at this file.
              Thanks for the link (found only broken links and/or buggy releases that crashed), installed and now got his pak, extracted the sky.

Originally posted by Seven View Post
              Hello Blood Vengeance,

Yes, when you install Tenebrae and start it, it will automatically create a subfolder with all the core files. It also includes sky1 and sky4.
              But they are static (like a skybox).

Here are tenebrae screenshots that shows some skies:

The most impressive feature ot Tenebrae at that time (and still today !!) for me is the atmospheric fog, which is still better than Darkplaces and FTE.

And if you look at the water caustics (inside and outside), Tenebrae still plays in the 1st league of Q1 engines.
              Especially the underwater caustics looks incredible:

Best wishes,
              Seven
              You're right, fog and water caustic are the best in Tenebrae, I think it's the most beautiful feature. Oh finally my nostalgia dose at those screenshots, got the pak archive, extracted the sky textures but now....there are many sky textures so I don't know if they can be adapted for Darkplaces.
              Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Hello Blood Vengeance,

You can use Tenebraes sky textures in Darkplaces for both:
                1.) skybox (static, not moving)
                2.) regular moving skies

to 1.)
                You can use the 6 textures (= cube) from tenebraes /env subfolder directly in DP.
                Just copy them into DP /env subfolder and load them via command:
                loadsky sky1_
                or
                loadsky sky4_

This is how it will look in DP:

to 2.)
                Please read the small tutorial here or here about how to create your own moving sky textures.
                I did this for the tenebrae sky1 and this is how it will look in DP:

By the way, there is also a link to a moving sky compilation in the second link above.

Best regards.

Comment

I've tried and works fine, the violet skybox looks good especially on Travail first level of episode 1, while the moving sky version I'm planning to use it as my base Quake sky
                  Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Working...
                  X