Mod idea using stock elements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod idea using stock elements

Hey guys, I've been toying with the idea of finally trying to create a Quake 1 mod. Mind you, I have no mortal idea how all this works. Compiling progs.dat and editing QuakeC stuff confuses the hell out of me. Anyway I'm willing to try if someone can point me to a primer or would be interested in helping.

So here's the shopping list. forgive me if any of these aren't possible or they've been done and I never saw them.

-little to no additional models

-axe plays the fiend tear sound when it hits enemies. much more damage. can be thrown/picked back up

-nails stick in walls (ive seen this one before)

-Nails and Axe sometimes cause damaged enemies to leak gib-style blood and bleed out over time.

-shotgun/nail impacts create tiny flashes of light on hard objects, maybe emit a few rising smoke particles

-shotgun reload is a little bit slower, does more damage. knocks enemies back a little.

-super shotgun reload also slower, does massive damage, but spreads very wide. also knocks enemies back a little.

-nailgun is the same

-SNG overheats if fired too long, makes lava hiss as it gets close to overheat.

-Lightning gun has a random jitter in its arc, gibs lesser enemies, gibs have smoke trails as well as blood.

-rockets are faster, more particles of smoke

-grenades the same.

-Quad Damage increases players max speed slightly, emit blue particles

-Pentagram causes melee damage to be reflected back to enemy. red particles

-if health is below 10, running is disabled.

Its a big list and I probably wouldn't be able to accomplish all of them, but I'd like to try and if anyone else wants to help me mess around with this idea, let me know. Ready to get my hands dirty.

Quake C isn't really my thing, and I won't be able to help you on that front, but perhaps you would like to change the sounds/add new ones to the weapons that get modified. I could help out there as I have played around with Quake sound modding before.

Leme know what you think!

Comment

Sounds good I'll keep you in mind if this gets off the ground. Work on it will probably happen in small bursts because I have to squeeze it in on downtime while working on Zoiru. lol, yes I'm still working on that goddamn game.

Comment

ok, seems really easy to code, are you thinking in a specific engine?
        the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

engine agnostic. something that looks like it always existed in Quake's original form. I figure if I can make the mod reference pre-existing elements then people could play it with any engine and it would still look right.

Comment

Originally posted by Amon26 View Post
            engine agnostic. something that looks like it always existed in Quake's original form. I figure if I can make the mod reference pre-existing elements then people could play it with any engine and it would still look right.
            welll, you focusses in particles a lot aniway vanilla quake lacks of good particle system

syluxman2803

Comment

hmm, you think the particle effects i'm thinking of won't be possible in vanilla?

Comment

Do tutorials

InsideQC

I'm operating on the assumption you know how where to find fteqcc https://sourceforge.net/projects/fte...C%20GUI/V1.00/

And the idea that you know where to find Quake C progs source. http://www.quake-1.com/files/sourcec...s/progs106.zip

And with the idea you know how to find links:

Quake Navigator

And with the idea that you know to make a folder called c:\quake\mymod

And put the progs source in a subfolder called c:\quake\mymod\source

And put the fteqccgui.exe in there.

And that you know to click it and press compile.

And that you know the output is progs.dat, after compile should be c:\quake\mymod\progs.dat

Then you start up an engine c:\quake\quake.exe -game mymod +map start
                And it runs.

Originally posted by Amon26 View Post
                hmm, you think the particle effects i'm thinking of won't be possible in vanilla?
                Protip: Now is not the time to think.

We know you can make stuff. But you need to do tutorials. There are weapons tutorials on that page.

Quit thinking, do tutorials.

If Sock who is a super-professional game developer can make Quake mods, you can also work within those limits too.

You will discover what you can do, and what you cannot do, as you learn. And then ways of evading those limits like, for instance, Seven knows ... with certain engines ... in a way that is backwards compatible too.

You don't even know enough for someone like Nahuel to communicate with you properly about QuakeC and modding.

So do tutorials so you can communicate with him. Right now, you won't even understand the words he will need to use to explain stuff to you.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

lol! i actually know none of that, so THANK YOU Baker for getting me moving in the right direction.

Comment

Heh, Baker is great at that! Funny that he mentioned Sock because when you have assimilated the basics and actually start getting your hands dirty, your approach for the SSG sounds a lot like his Widowmaker in AD, so maybe you could look into it for inspiration. AD is a good mod to learn, that also happens to do some of the things that you want. Another great mod to study is Seven's SMC.
                    Last edited by Mugwump; 11-07-2016, 05:19 PM.
                    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

As for the engines, I'm afraid only a handful of them support an advanced particle system. Off the top of my head, DarkPlaces, FTE and QuakeSpasm-Spiked. Maybe a few lesser known ones?

Comment

x2 for bakers advice.

When I started QC, my focus shifted continuously from "I have a great idea" to "I need to learn more shit". Having an idea is great, but don't expect to learn 1 area of QC to implement the idea, as a lot of things throughout the code are connected.

A good example: I wanted to increase nailgun spike velocities. After 20 "oh, so THAT'S how that works" later, I made an entirely new weapon. It just evolved on its own as I learned.

I'm doing the same process with the engine code now. I have no direction, just simple little ideas that point me towards tutorials and what not.
                        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                          x2 for bakers advice.

When I started QC, my focus shifted continuously from "I have a great idea" to "I need to learn more shit". Having an idea is great, but don't expect to learn 1 area of QC to implement the idea, as a lot of things throughout the code are connected.
                          Exactly ... You do the field work while you are learning. You get a feel for it as you go, and you can pick tutorials that align with your interests.

Tutorials are what you have to force yourself to do.

After you do a few of them, things start to come together.

For Amon26, I think they'd come together fast.

AFTER he does 5-6 tutorials that most interest him.

Then you start raiding things like ...

Index of /pub/idgames2/quakec (Small QuakeC mods like "Quake with a JetPack!" or "Quake with a Spider instead of a dog" or "your grenade launcher drops pipebomb and when you click fire again it detonates" or "Add a flashlight to Quake").

But you can't raid things until you know how stuff works. There's a ton of pre-written code out there.

Everyone from Quoth to Arcane Dimensions to Remake Quake to RuneQuake leverages the pre-existing code. Travail sure did, for instance. (Note: The Travail source code too ... their main coder Asaki open sourced it a few years ago http://quake-1.com/quakec-gallery/ )
                          Last edited by Baker; 11-07-2016, 06:00 PM.
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

@Dutch What was that weapon?

Comment

my two cents here

there are only two ways to learn qc:
                              -read cod
                              -write code

@baker, i know my english is shitty, but i can understand some things about quake

syluxman2803

Comment

Working...
                              X