Quake Early Screenshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Early Screenshot

Found a screenshot showing what the knight used to look like.

I have a few more I found, but they're sort of what has already been seen (Q-Test screenshots) and another shot of the dragon flying, and under him is a knight walking (the same knight seen here).

Hope it sparks some interest. Maybe someday we'll get to play some of the prototypes or at least look at the assets. If so, hopefully the Quake community will have more luck than the Duke community

Interesting stuff. Thanks Gerolf
    One wonders what other ideas / designs they had at the time that didn't make it...

Kind regards

Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Isn't that Qtest?
      Make Quake Great Again

Comment

The last line of text from that pic:
        Of course.
        Spooge.

What the hell?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
          Interesting stuff. Thanks Gerolf
          One wonders what other ideas / designs they had at the time that didn't make it...
          No problem! I really am interested to know also. Hopefully one day we'll know. I mean, John Romero released a lot of unused Doom assets a while back, so maybe one day he'll get around to showing some Quake stuff.

Originally posted by Blood Vengeance View Post
          Isn't that Qtest?
          No, it's not. It's earlier than that, and the knight here doesn't seem to have any blood on him, and a different face than what was in Q-test and the final release. I do have several screen shots of Q-Test that showed the multiplayer, and enemies (even showing a rotfish that was just dead on the floor).

Originally posted by Focalor View Post
          The last line of text from that pic:
          Of course.
          Spooge.

What the hell?
          The article was from a British magazine, so I think that was a slang term in the 90s that sort of means "get off to" or "get excited for".

Comment

Hello,

All 3 of the shown monsters are already available and playable.

The knight:
            Play Mission pack 2 or replace the id1 knight with the new skin from mission pack 2 knight.

The ogre with shield and axe:
            Madfox rebuilded him in a very good quality. Added the new animations and even wrote the qc part for it.

The dragon:
            Patrick Martin has blown new life into this wonderful creature. Play the Drake or the Dragon mod from him to see him and fight against him.

Best wishes,
            Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Gerolf View Post
              The article was from a British magazine, so I think that was a slang term in the 90s that sort of means "get off to" or "get excited for".
              I know what it means, I'm just kinda surprised they used "that" term back then. Censorship was a little more strict in the 90's.

Comment

This magazine actually has the word "fuck" and other things in it, uncensored.

Thanks for the info, Seven.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerolf View Post

It's like that line: "X is so good, you'll ___ (in) your pants!"

Pretty sure Tokay (American McGee) or Romero used to say "spooge". That's where I know it from. Probably in a moderated IRC Q&A log from 1996 or so. They were also fond of "llama" (for lamer, I guess).

Found a plan file:

http://www.gamers.org/pub/archives/p...com/1995-11-16

Comment

So that's where the llama meme comes from?
                    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

We're taking back spooge, guys. Let's make a difference.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                        So that's where the llama meme comes from?
                        Maybe. Here's sCary and Tokay doing e-humor in '96:

https://www.bluesnews.com/archives/american122796.html

And here's a 1337-speak dictionary that's evidently from the same era:

1337 Help

Comment

@l337

I remember back in the day the only people that typed like that (IME) were people that didn't know jack shit but how to type like that.

So many times some little jack off in a chat, swearing up and down how l337 he is and the lil bitch couldn't even hack notepad...lol. Swearing on his haxor skills and could even tell you the number value of 0xFF. ::smh:: All I'm trying to say is that shit is for people who are fake as fuck.
                          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Yeah. Script kiddies, I suppose. I myself only ever saw it used ironically, but at least it inspired Jeff K, which was funny at the time.

JEFF K."S BRAND NEW HOEMPAGE !!! NO HAX0RING!!!

The really obnoxious thing was the pointless rAnDom cApItAliZaTion trend.

Anyhow, only point of linking that glossary is it includes "llama" and "spooge" and mentions Quake.

Comment

Working...
                            X