Game Glitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Glitch

I've built and been playing on a darkplaces engine from github for a couple of weeks now. I installed the QRP texture and normal paks, the small mods combination pak along with a few other mod paks. Everything was working fine until a coupe of days ago when monsters started show up though doors, doors started becoming transparent at times, and bodies started sticking into walls and doors.

Anybody know how I can fix that?

1-download a lordhavoc build
    2- if you find-scripts shaders check the shaders
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Update:

The frame rate problem turned out to be something to do with lighting settings and just went away after I deleted all the cfg files except for SMC.cfg and set options for lighting to high.

Also I disabled the reforged.shader and the see through doors have gone away, although I still get bodies sticking into walls and doors. That's a detail with which I can live.

I found the reforged.shader in the scripts folder. I'm lack a clue as to how to check it.

Now I have a more pressing problem. After one of my new engine builds, my frame rate dropped to about 2-3 fps on the introduction map.

After that I replaced that engine with one that worked before, it had the same new low frame rate. Usually with the mods I have my frame rate only gets as low as 20fps.

Then I downloaded a prebuilt engine package and started it up in a new folder with a fresh copy of ID1 with only pak0.pak and pak1.pak. And that had the same low frame rate. More over it had all the option settings from my earlier games in a different folder.

Apparently, the prebuilt engine is reading the old state data from somewhere that I am unable to find.

The low frame rate is a game stopper. Any ideas about the frame rate issue or state data storage location. I looked in c:/user/<me>/AppData/local and it seems to lack anything relevant.

A stock copy of QuakeSpasm and Quake3 play fine. Some how all the Darkplaces engines both mine and prebuilt have gotten very unresponsive, even in console mode, the keyboard input and response is very slow. I found some DP state data being stored in a "Saved Games"Folder and deleted it. The low frame rate remains.
      Last edited by Syber Raith; 02-12-2017, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Syber Raith View Post
        Update:

The frame rate problem turned out to be something to do with lighting settings and just went away after I deleted all the cfg files except for SMC.cfg and set options for lighting to high.

Also I disabled the reforged.shader and the see through doors have gone away, although I still get bodies sticking into walls and doors. That's a detail with which I can live.

I found the reforged.shader in the scripts folder. I'm lack a clue as to how to check it.

Now I have a more pressing problem. After one of my new engine builds, my frame rate dropped to about 2-3 fps on the introduction map.

After that I replaced that engine with one that worked before, it had the same new low frame rate. Usually with the mods I have my frame rate only gets as low as 20fps.

Then I downloaded a prebuilt engine package and started it up in a new folder with a fresh copy of ID1 with only pak0.pak and pak1.pak. And that had the same low frame rate. More over it had all the option settings from my earlier games in a different folder.

Apparently, the prebuilt engine is reading the old state data from somewhere that I am unable to find.

The low frame rate is a game stopper. Any ideas about the frame rate issue or state data storage location. I looked in c:/user/<me>/AppData/local and it seems to lack anything relevant.

A stock copy of QuakeSpasm and Quake3 play fine. Some how all the Darkplaces engines both mine and prebuilt have gotten very unresponsive, even in console mode, the keyboard input and response is very slow. I found some DP state data being stored in a "Saved Games"Folder and deleted it. The low frame rate remains.
        If you downloaded a recent build of Darkplaces, it will store your config files/settings in your user profile, such as:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\my games\darkplaces\id1

If you want to go back to defaults, try removing config files from there.

I've never seen monsters getting stuck in walls. I'm not sure what would cause that.

There was a texture script that broke with recent builds of Darkplaces that caused white textures and might have caused your transparent doors, but there is a fixed version of it.

FWIW, I'm working on a compilation that is mostly done for ID1, Rogue and Hipnotic to make it easier for people to play with HD textures/assets/scripts.

Comment

The doors were flickering between transparent and opaque depending on view angle. Also arms of monsters hiding behind doors would apparently stick out of said doors occasionally.

After the monsters have been killed, their heads or arms can be stuck in walls. I'll get some screen shots.

I disabled the reforged.shader by renaming it, and that eliminated the door issue. The doors are now all solid opaque, although some monsters now lack textures like the wall zombies.

I pieced my current setup together from various sources, basically SMC pak and QRP textures because even Rygel's medium Textures were too much for my little 1GB Radeon HD 5450 to handle with rtlights and high effects. My setup did work well enough though until I started hacking the engine code.
          Last edited by Syber Raith; 02-13-2017, 08:25 AM.

Comment

The reforged.shader file should have only been assigning textures to monsters if I recall, so that may be why some monsters are missing textures now.

What other files are in your scripts folder?

If you want, I can share my compilation with you.

I wanted to finish updating Rogue-SMC and Hipnotic-SMC and doing some more testing before I release the compilations publicly, but really the ID1 one should be ready for someone to start testing now.

Comment

Here's some screen shots of corpses sticking into walls. It happens all over. What causes that?
              Attached Files

Comment

This is an easy fix, guaranteed to work. Don't kill things that are close to the wall. I understand you are probably amazed by my genius but, there is no reason to give me a bunch of credit or anything.
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                  This is an easy fix, guaranteed to work. Don't kill things that are close to the wall. I understand you are probably amazed by my genius but, there is no reason to give me a bunch of credit or anything.
                  Have you considered pacificism?

Comment

Here's some screen shots of corpses sticking into walls. It happens all over. What causes that?
                    your question should be "how i can to fix that?"
                    and after you will write a per -polygon system + ragdoll for quake
                    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Guys your posts are so informative.

Comment

I've noticed another glitch, that is every time I start dp now it starts up with the custom lighting option set to high.

So I reset the lighting to normal, because the higher settings slow down the frame rate too much, and exit the game, then restart and the game has forgotten the lower setting. It use to remember all the option's menu settings.

I've having trouble figuring out what is causing that, and how to get the game to remember the lighting setting.

Comment

if you aren't using -nohome switch DP has cloned itself to SavedGames (or maybe just Games). This means, if you are using a DP other than the saved games one and changing the config, you technically aren't doing shit. You need to change the saved games version of config or start DP with -nohome or simply delete the entire SavedGames folder or set the vars via the DP menu instead of the config or read a book and stop wasting your life on a 20 year old game.
                          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

It turned out to be r_shadow_realtime_world cvar. I had that working at a reasonable framerate before and so I failed to suspect it.

The new games have significntly more evolved engines although like most of the movies these days, gains in eye candy have gone hand in hand with losses in plot and atmosphere.

I only like Duke Nukem 3D and Quake I. I just wish I could get those maps, monsters and item to run on the latest Quake or Unreal engine. Now that would be heaven...
                            Last edited by Syber Raith; 02-16-2017, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Hello Syber Raith,

Nahuel already gave you a hint in his post. Please read it.
                              The root cause for that behaviour is how Quake handles entities in the world.
                              The shape of the model itself is not relevant. Quake uses a simple squared box instead. Only very few advanced Quake engines can use more detailed collision detection.

This is how the soldier really looks and is handled in Quake:

As you see, in his death state his head, arms and legs protrude the bbox. That is why they will be inside walls when the box touches it.

Best wishes,
                              Seven

Comment

Working...
                              X