So how do I get started?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how do I get started?

Greetings. I am Flareblood. I have just recently become interested in Quake.

How do I get started? I come/came from the Doom fandom, and I'm used to GZDoom and WADs and all the fancy Doom stuff. However, I know nearly nothing about Quake.

How do I get started playing Quake?

IMO

try different engines

darkplaces: great and stable, very popular
    fte: best engine
    fitzquake: best for classic style
    Qrack: very nice

i think you can use texture packs for all the engines above

download mods and maps
    https://www.quaddicted.com/
    quake injector IS AWESOME
    https://www.quaddicted.com/tools/quake_injector
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Step 1 - Buy Quake. It is only $5. I recommend getting the two mission/expansion packs as well. Or for $25 you can get the Quake collection, which is Quake 1, 2, 3 and the expansion packs.

QUAKE on Steam

QUAKE Collection on Steam

Step 2 - Get a source port. These are modern engines based on the Quake source code release. They help the game run better on modern hardware and add tons of features.

I personally use Darkplaces. A lot of the shaders in the HD pack are written for DP. The Small Mod Compilation was written for DP. There are a few other good engines out there. Pick what you want, but there is a link to the latest Darkplaces build.

https://icculus.org/twilight/darkpla...yautobuild.zip

Step 3 - Optional. Download HD textures, models, etc. They will make the game look nicer. You can download these resources somewhat individually here:

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...tent-list.html

There are a few compilation packs that make it easy to just download one thing and you're ready to go. Some people don't like the compilation packs because they feel compilation pack creators are trying to piggy-back on the work of others to get all the credit. I'm mostly done with a compilation pack of my own and I can send you a link. I don't want credit. I'm just trying to highlight the wonderful work of the many fantastic creators by making it easier to just download one thing and play.

I'm trying to extend/improve the stuff with some contributions of my own. One of those contributions will be updating the Small Mod Compilation for the two expansion packs to be on par with the Small Mod Compilation for the main game. I'm mostly done with one of the two, but I'm still cleaning it up and I still have the other to do. But the overall compilation packs are playable. I just haven't had a public/official release yet.
      Last edited by enderandrew; 02-14-2017, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I personally like the MarkV engine. It's a good middle ground between Darkplaces/FTE and Fitzquake/QuakeSpasm. And the map list in the main menu is more handy than I could have ever imagined.
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

You might be interested in this: Quake Singleplayer Starter Pack

Note that while this package makes use of Mark V for downloading/installing some recommended mods, you can also drop in some other Quake engine like Quakespasm/FTE/DarkPlaces/whatever for playing stuff if you want to. (Although I do like playing with Mark V myself.)

If you run into any issues with the installer scripts let me know.

Comment

Congrats guys. Great job.

Comment

@One of those contributions will be updating the Small Mod Compilation for the two expansion packs to be on par with the Small Mod Compilation for the main game.

hunh? I'm pretty sure seven already did this and maintains them all in tandem. I am positive there is an SMC rogue on my system and I really want to say I have SMC hipnotic as well.
              http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                @One of those contributions will be updating the Small Mod Compilation for the two expansion packs to be on par with the Small Mod Compilation for the main game.

hunh? I'm pretty sure seven already did this and maintains them all in tandem. I am positive there is an SMC rogue on my system and I really want to say I have SMC hipnotic as well.
                He stopped updating them. He made a Rogue-SMC and a Hipnotic-SMC, but they have not been updated. For example, the last Rogue-SMC was version 5.02. Mainline SMC is 5.5. At first I though the version numbers could be different, but they could have the same features, but that isn't the case.

The last released versions of Rogue-SMC and Hipnotic-SMC and missing recent SMC features.

I brought Rogue-SMC in line with the most recent 5.4 features. Then I started cleaning it up as well to remove compiler warning messages and potential bugs.

I'm super busy all week with other events (I'm a Shriner and we're doing our circus right now as well as other huge events this week). But I might release what I have sometime soon, as well as start working on the Hipnotic version.

Comment

Working...
                X