More quakec questions (yet again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More quakec questions (yet again)

So, one of my pet peeves with the invis ring is that it makes your viewmodel invisible, so I have no idea what weapon I have selected. Because of this, I wanted to ask what causes it to become invisible, because I couldn't find anything in the quakec code.

I hope it isn't because the player has the item in their inventory, because that means I would have to do some majick to get that working.

Because it's not in quakeC, but in the engine code.

Comment

MarkV engine has a cvar you can set that allows for translucent view weapons while holding the ring.

DP and FTE support .viewmodelforclient entities, which you could use instead viewmodel, and then set the alpha value for it when the ring is held.
      'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

in FTE, just set r_drawviewmodelinvis 0.5 instead of 0. no idea about other engines.
        Some Game Thing

Comment

Why is the invisibility programmed into the engine? It seems to me that, at worst, the engine should have a built-in for setting model transparency but, it should be the QC that decides when, to what degree and if that built-in gets used.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

@gypsy

Yeah it sucks. The same applies for anything status bar related...in my mind, since these things are directly tied to the game logic they should have been QC side from the very beginning, but I guess id software thought differently.

Comment

Sheit.

Guess I will have to deal with it.

Comment

Well, then my question would be this:

Is it because the player has the invisibility ring in their inventory, or because of something else?

It could be possible to replace the item number the invis ring is associated with, and bypass the viewmodel invisibility altogether. Probably not as simply done though.

Comment

Okay, so I did a test by giving myself the ring, but not setting invis time. My viewmodel disappeared, so my item theory is correct.

Comment

IT_INVISIBILITY
                    (the other stuff isn't known clientside)
                    you could always use some other field (or bit, but note that only 24 work and many of the others are already used), and that way the engine wouldn't be aware of it and wouldn't know to do anything weird because of it. you'd loose the screen tint too, which is only a good thing.
                    however, it would be invisible on the sbar... the irony...

sometimes its easier to just hack something into the engine without much regard for mods, especially if there are no mods other than your own yet...
                    Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                      IT_INVISIBILITY
                      (the other stuff isn't known clientside)
                      you could always use some other field (or bit, but note that only 24 work and many of the others are already used), and that way the engine wouldn't be aware of it and wouldn't know to do anything weird because of it. you'd loose the screen tint too, which is only a good thing.
                      however, it would be invisible on the sbar... the irony...

sometimes its easier to just hack something into the engine without much regard for mods, especially if there are no mods other than your own yet...
                      Well, I managed to do it properly, and I used v_cshift to put the tint back in, since the sbar symbol doesn't indicate that you have it. The only issue with it is if you disconnect with the ring, and the v_cshift stays. But, thats no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialBomb View Post
                        Well, I managed to do it properly, and I used v_cshift to put the tint back in, since the sbar symbol doesn't indicate that you have it. The only issue with it is if you disconnect with the ring, and the v_cshift stays. But, thats no big deal.
                        In CheckPowerUps(), update the v_cshift cvar based on whether or not the ring time has expired. That way, it will check if the cvar needs adjusting each frame.

Reset the cvar back to normal in quake.rc or autoexec.cfg, that way if you quit the game with the ring, the cvar will be reset the next time you launch the game.

Comment

Thats what I did, its just the on disconnect thing that's the issue. Since I want this mod serverside, there is no real way to prevent this, but its not such a bad thing to reset your client when it ever happens, which would be rarely.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialBomb View Post
                            Thats what I did, its just the on disconnect thing that's the issue. Since I want this mod serverside, there is no real way to prevent this, but its not such a bad thing to reset your client when it ever happens, which would be rarely.
                            Hello SpecialBomb,

The SMC does it.
                            Look into its source to see how.

Regards,
                            Seven

Comment

Seven, I attempted to look for this feature where you change a setting after someone disconnects, but I could not find it. I did a search for "shift" and "stuffcmd", but I guess I don't know what to look for or where? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X