Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compiling proquake on Debian Jessie 8 64 bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiling proquake on Debian Jessie 8 64 bit?

So, since everyone said I should try different engines, especially fitzquake derivatives, I decided to try (arguably) the most popular engine proquake.

Now, I did find a guide that compiled the unixded server on debian from the proquake source, however I am looking to install the client, which unfortunately seems to not want to install properly. If anyone knows, is there list of packages that I can install that will let me compile this correctly? Keep in mind I am looking to install the OpenGL version.

If you need any error messages, reply.

There is no 64-bit version of ProQuake for Linux and there never will be because the mods that ProQuake is used to like CRMOD use qccx QuakeC hacks which lock the memory mapping to 32-bit.

So you can give up now, hehe
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Since when do you HAVE to have more than 32 bit on a 64 bit OS? Can't SB simply build the 32 bit version?
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
        Since when do you HAVE to have more than 32 bit on a 64 bit OS? Can't SB simply build the 32 bit version?
        Hahaha, "simply"? "Linux"?

Sounds like good stand-up comedian material to me. You should consider a career in comedy.

Funny stuff
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

as baker says, proquake's server parts are not 64-bit safe. this also means it'll probably crash if you try running a regular single-player game. it should still be compilable though, and should still work as a client though, assuming someone cares even remotely about it.

still, its nice that baker's advice is 'give up'.
          certainly if you try compiling a 64bit build, it won't work properly at all.
          32bit builds should work fine, but will have more dependency issues on a 64bit linux. in theory, install gcc-multiarch and libx11-dev:i386 and whatever other 32bit dev packages you need to get it to compile. anyway, assuming you have the 32bit packages installed, you can just add -m32 to gcc's commandline (eg: either CFLAGS=-m32 or CC="gcc -m32"), and hope the makefile behaves properly and doesn't try using ld directly (you'll probably need to do 'make clean' to delete any 64bit object files that get in the way).
          Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
            still, its nice that baker's advice is 'give up'.
            certainly if you try compiling a 64bit build, it won't work properly at all.
            Yeah, it's a completely super-borked situation.

ProQuake's special extra layer of impossible situation is just the icing on the cake.

There are several major barriers, as you stated, before you are even lucky enough to have that be the main problem.

All those qccx hack mods ... and they are almost all closed source mods, so it isn't even like you could help those mods not use qccx.

DarkPlaces can connect and play on a ProQuake server just as nicely as a ProQuake client.

Comment

@SB

Check out MarkV engine. You'll never look back.
              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

I'm not saying "compile it in 64 bit," I am saying "compiling so that the 32 bit version won't fail to start."

@Dutch I will check out MarkV, but I still would like to use proquake. This is for testing, not playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                  in theory, install gcc-multiarch and libx11-dev:i386 and whatever other 32bit dev packages you need to get it to compile. anyway, assuming you have the 32bit packages installed
                  Precisely, what I should have asked is "what packages do I need in order to compile the OpenGL version of proquake" rather than however I worded it. I have never developed on c before, and I should, so I have literally no idea what is needed in order to do this, and what debian packages I need. I already have multiarch and stuff too, I just need all the dev libraries and such.

Comment

@sb
                    try:
                    apt-get install make gcc-multilib g++-multilib mesa-common-dev:i386 libasound2-dev:i386
                    (gcc-multilib should pull in most of the system stuff, mesa-common-dev will pull in the x11 stuff. libasound2 is mostly wishful thinking, on account of most distros poorly emulating OSS with alsa (setting up oss4 can be messy).)

you'll also need to add -m32 to your gcc's commandline CFLAGS=-m32 should do it if the makefile is well behaved. if it isn't you'll have to hack it directly in. its also possible the makefile already includes it explicitly.

if you get errors about missing headers or libraries then you can try 'apt-cache search FOO |grep dev' where FOO is something like eg 'png' in order to find out the proper package names (often they have version numbers or other annoyances in the package names). and then just 'apt-get install libwhatever-dev:i386' as needed.
                    Some Game Thing

Comment

@spike

Thanks, I will try that.

@dutch

Mark V does not really want to work with debian, as the current version of debian allows sdl 2.0.2, while markV need 2.0.4. Bummer. I will try and find an even more barebones engine.

Comment

I'm actually really curious as to why you wish to use ProQuake for something. For testing what?
                        Quake is for nerds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebisu View Post
                          I'm actually really curious as to why you wish to use ProQuake for something. For testing what?
                          For testing mods.

It sounds dumb, but I try to make my mods as engine agnostic as possible by avoiding special engine functions.

I want to use proquake as one of the testing engines because it's really popular and is pretty close to legacy (although quakespasm is probably closer). If my mod can work on proquake, it should be good everywhere else. This is especially important to me, as I am a multiplayer modder, so I obviously want anyone to have the ability to simply hop on and play no matter what engine they're using. I don't want to force anyone other than my close friends to use darkplaces. Of course, I don't have a dedicated netquake server yet for my mod, but that's because I am too lazy, lol.

I will put it on a list at some point...

If you mean the specific mod I am referring to, just look at all my posts and you will figure it out. I have asked like a million questions.

Comment

If you used WINE, you could probably test your mod within 30 minutes. It's built to run Windows applications in Linux.

Although a different operating, on a Mac after setting up a WINE-based GUI you can run a lot of Windows applications with just a double-click. I've run maybe 50 different Windows applications through WINE on a Mac and only met one or 2 that wouldn't run in WINE.

Comment

I don't use wine, because I find it tedious.

It also uses a lot of storage for such a trivial application as testing quake mods, lol.

I will only use WINE if I really need it, and now I feel is not the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X