REQUEST - Double Damage Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REQUEST - Double Damage Mod

Hey. I know it's a bit cheeky to ask others to do work that I can't but this is something I've really wanted for a long time.

I would love a mod (or a built-in engine option in QS ) that would double weapon damage but half ammo pick up values.

Sometimes I want to play Quake but closer to the pace of Doom. As everyone knows, Quake baddies can be quite the bullet sponges. Twice the weapon damage would mitigate that. Halving the pickups value would help to redress the change in the games balance.

DISCLAIMER: I have absolutely no idea if this is remotely practicable!
    I got the phone call at 4 a.m.

I think you can tweak the monsters' HP in Seven's SMC. Double damage or half HP (hmmm... half-life!), same diff. And I would bet it also allows you to alter pickup contents. The SMC is Darkplaces exclusive, though.
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

I google, so you don't have to http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...mpilation.html

Comment

yep, as bfg66 stated, seven's small mod compilation includes the option for tweaking damage of your weapons as well as the damage done by enemies,
        changing the health of each enemy and also allows for changing the amount of ammo each pickup contains
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Hello Hipnotic Rogue,

I know that you do not like the SMC and Darkplaces as well.
          Fortunately you do not need to use this mod and/or engine for that small gameplay modification you requested.

You can use this mod instead: Download
          It only does what you requested without changing anything else.
          It is engine independent as well.

You can adjust the multiplier of your weapon damage with one cvar.
          You can adjust the multiplier of your ammo pickups with another cvar.
          This way you can try/use any value you want for both changes individually and find your perfect match for maximum fun.

I also modified the line of text in the upper left corner to always show how much ammo you got instead of only what ammo type like in default Quake.

Example:

Please read the included Readme.txt for all details.

Have fun with your Quake,
          Seven
          Last edited by Seven; 06-28-2017, 01:25 PM. Reason: reuploaded to other hoster + update

Comment

Seven that download link leads to possible malware and ransomware sites (as far as in the us). No one should click that link. Seven PM me and I can host your files on dropbox.
            Secret Level - Quake fandom & my custom levels

Comment

These threads are the best way to learn quakec, awesome.

@Seven
              It works amasingly, except radius of grenade and rocket damage also increased. Can't use grenade launcher without killing myself, it hits from way too far. The T_RadiusDamage.

@dumptruck_ds
              Archive itself is safe, at least for me. Not sure about site.

Comment

Hello dumptruck_ds,

I reuploaded to a different hoster. This one is the most trustworthy you can think of. I hope you can now safely download it.

Hello vibok,

The best way to learn qc in my opinion is to study the original id1 source and see how things are done first. Once you get a feeling for it you should read small existing mods and compare them with original id1 source.

That is why I always include 2 source versions in my uploads: unedited + edited. This way you can comfortably compare them with a diff tool and see exactly and quickly what was modified. Commenting lines is of course an additional step to make it readable.

Regarding the radius damage weapons:
                You have the source, so you can either edit them to be vanilla again if you prefere or add your own maths to recalculate the radius depending on the multiplier. So, when the damage value is risen or lowered, the radius will not follow it as it does in vanilla Quake but change the function to compensate it.

I uploaded a new version which does this. Check the combat.qc for it.
                It uses separate formulars now for player radius weapons and monster (example: Ogre) radius weapons. It now feels/behaves close to vanilla radius but damage value can still be modified (following the cvar multipler nicely).
                I think now everything should work fine.

Download

Have a nice time,
                Seven

Comment

Remove the * cvar("saved2") thing in two T_RadiusDamage inside weapons.qc, and it's perfect.

I'll delete this post after you'll read it.

Comment

Hello vibok,

Then you did not fully read/understand my post above.
                    But that is fine as long as you are happy with it.

Anyhow, it seems that Hipnotic_Rogue is no longer interested and pulled back his request.
                    So who cares…

Have a nice time,
                    Seven

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. I've been on the forum few times but everytime I picked up the keyboard the girlfriend would call on me!

Anyway, Seven, I can't thank you enough for this mod. I really appreciate your work and I appreciate you sharing it even more.

I have a day off tomorrow and I know exactly what I'll be doing with my free time.

Again, apologies for seemingly requesting something then ignoring the kindness shown. That really wasn't intended.

Comment

I meant, in ver 1.1, you increased the damage, but forgot to remove the radius damage increasing.

It works for me though, so who cares.

Comment

So, I've spent a good while playing through the AD version of Terra Fuma with this wee mod... and I had a ton of fun! The big room with the 2 robots in it was particularly cool. The whole ambush was gib-tastic!

Thanks, again, Seven.

Comment

Working...
                          X