FreeQuake: Legal and Free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeQuake: Legal and Free

Last summer, those of us responsible for QuakeOne.com got together and made a fully featured version of CTF called xCTF that is fully compatible with shareware Quake.

Server: xctf.clan-rum.org

The FreeQuake download is available at http://freequake.quakeone.com

xCTF runs maps E1M1 thru E1M8, E1M8 featuring a large Chthon in the middle of the map.

It is in every way the same as playing regular CTF except the map selection is limited.

If you download FreeQuake you can additionally install a texture pack called Yellow No. 5's Texture Pack and your Quake will look exactly like this:

Yellow No. 5's Texture Pack: Download now 9.97 MB

If you are using QRack, I would recommend not installing this texture pack because Yellow's 20 MB featured on our homepage is better geared for QRack's features.

The advantage of FreeQuake is that you and others can play Quake on the internet even if you don't have Quake and it is 100% legal because the shareware version of Quake is legally distributable.

The download only takes a couple of minutes on broadband, without the texture pack it is about 7 MB and with the additional texture pack it is 16 MB +/-.

In the future, we hope to have additional servers running FreeQuake compatible mods.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I'd appreciate it if xCTF would quit binding my ENTER key to switch between weapons. I use it to talk dammit!

Comment

We've had several good games at the XCTF server, which of course you can use registered Quake just fine.

A ProQuake screenshot of me losing at xCTF. Consequently, during testing I and others discovered that Steve absolutely and painfully owns at CTF without a shadow of a doubt.

Originally posted by Sniper Canadianus
      I'd appreciate it if xCTF would quit binding my ENTER key to switch between weapons. I use it to talk dammit!
      Someday we will change that, it's for the admin menu.

Sorry you use such a weird configuration,
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I know I'm not the only one who uses the ENTER key

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper
          I know I'm not the only one who uses the ENTER key
          Keyboarder

Comment

After I PWNed Steve, Yellow stated that he would rape me in ctf. I had better watch out, I have not played CTF in forever. I most likely suck badly at it.

Comment

This is actually very handy at the moment. The computer I'm using has no working CD drives (ARG!!!!) and so I cannot load my Quake CD, I'm thinking I might buy a flash drive and transfer the files from the CD. Thanks, this should hold me over just fine!
              "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

*cough*_*cough*
                Last edited by Solecord; 05-12-2006, 09:40 PM.

Comment

That's WAREZ!

Comment

Hmm, CTF is being played?? I may have to check this out.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

There's been some games @ quake.intertex.net lately. Several months ago there were games every night for a couple weeks at intertex and sometimes they'd trickle over to a 3wav server.

Comment

I remember the old fashioned CTF that died. Had four runes and the Slow hook. I sure do miss it.

Comment

That's what intertex is - old school public ctf server, but it has a faster hook.

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord
                            That's what intertex is - old school public ctf server, but it has a faster hook.
                            I'll have to see how fast. I used the slow hook to my advantage when I used to play.

Comment

I loved MTOWN'S fast hook. That is where I learned to bunny-hop the first time. To be honest, I could not stand Trini and its ultra-slow hook. It took like 10 seconds to hook.

Comment

Working...
                              X