Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rage CAx Down?!?

From IRC: (01/13/2007)

[18:00] <vis> rage servers are down till further notice...

[19:06] <Stung> why was rage shut down
    [19:18] <drez0r> some1 said death and hell was runnin his mouth at vis

Anyone care to expand on this? What happened? Why is the server down or being closed specifically?

I was there,

Death&Hell was barking at Spiderman (Vis).
    I was telling Death&Hell to calm down, then Spiderman banned Death&Hell, D&H reconnected almost instantly, I told D&H Not to talk shit to Spiderman, D&H didn't listen and was consecutivly banned about 7 times within a 1 minute time window, a few moments later Rage goes down.

Death&Hell is the reason and altho he didnt know that Spiderman was Vis at the time it should not have been braught to that high of a problem. I'm not 100% sure on what ignited this but D&H shouldn't have just automatically assumed that its "OK to be banned from Rage because he will get Frenzy to unban him" I'm actually real irritated about this.

P.S If someone wants to spellcheck that be my guest.
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
      I told D&H Not to talk shit to Spiderman, D&H didn't listen and was consecutivly banned about 7 times within a 1 minute time window, a few moments later Rage goes down.
      That's showing who is boss.

But I think that highlights the absurdity of "temp bans", a couple of weeks ago some I had to ban some annoying guy 5 times in 15 minutes because he'd return upon map change.

Either way, D&H shouldn't have been talking shit to Vis.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I think mute would have turned out better then actually shutting the server down, but thats just my opinion.
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

In all fairness to D&H, spiderman started the whole thing by saying "owned" after he killed D&H. So naturally D&H started talking smack back, but as far as I could tell, nothing he said actually warranted a ban. It seemed like an abuse of power to me, but I guess since spiderman/vis runs the server he can do what ever he wants.
          I dunno if the server just crashed or was deliberately taken offline.
          "If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

Comment

Originally posted by mithril View Post
            In all fairness to D&H, spiderman started the whole thing by saying "owned" after he killed D&H. So naturally D&H started talking smack back, but as far as I could tell, nothing he said actually warranted a ban. It seemed like an abuse of power to me, but I guess since spiderman/vis runs the server he can do what ever he wants.
            I dunno if the server just crashed or was deliberately taken offline.
            A lot of miscommunication can happen on a Quake server if you don't know the personality of the players involved.

It is unclear to a lot of regular players who runs the server and admittedly vis almost never uses his name.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I'm not going to be biased but I think both players should have been muted to solve the problem peacefully IMHO.

Comment

Either way, thanks for vis for turning rage back on

Comment

I don't know why D&H would think it's ok to be banned and think I would unban him... I have nothing to do with what other admins do, etc.. and I will fully stand behind any of their decisions.

As far as rage being down, I got online and people kept asking me why rage was down... I had no idea. I guess now I do. Either way, Vis was online but was afk, so I messaged somebody else and got it back up.

But yes, I agree with some of the other posts on here, mute would have done the trick

Anyways, my main point for posting a reply to this thread was the first paragraph I typed.
                  uakene.com

Comment

To clarify the situation a little bit better...

I am not the person who ignited this. DH constantly said OWNED and other phrases after coming on the server and playing a few rounds. He has this attitude like he's better than everyone else and can do what he wants. That reminds me of someone like JJ. I know this may seem personal to you guys, but it is not and I do not tolerate people like this, whatsoever. It's classless and immature. This is a 10 yr old game... be more respectful. He didn't care about being banned (nor the server)... claiming that he barely plays when in fact every time i play he seems to be there.

I'm working on fixing the "ban" command as it was not working. That is the reason for DH being able to reconnect. Thus I turned off the servers in an attempt to get the ban command working. I am leaving them on for now though and will still try to resolve this issue.

I am NOT trying to abuse my power of being admin. I am trying to keep people in line. In the past (in quake1), no one would do anything about these things. That's why you have tons of people now who always talk smack, ruin games, etc. I never experienced any of this when playing other online games such as Unreal Tournament 2003 CTF (competively with HDz). We had competitive games and great respect for everyone. I would like to see this happen in quake1, but I know that may not happen. And i'm sorry to those of you who are good players and respectful people on the server. All it takes is 1 person to ruin it for everyone.

As I have always mentioned, if you have any suggestions for the server or anything that I may help with, please e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks.
                    Brian

Comment

Ah, sorry I jumped to conclusions. I didn't realize he had been on earlier making trouble. I think that was the first time I saw him on rage and all I saw was you and him talking smack to each other and since you had ban power he automatically lost the battle I've played on shmack for a long time and some people on there are WAY worse than D&H was hehe, so you just learn to tune it out. Thats why I was surprised he got a ban so quickly, but I do like the idea of trying to keep trash-talkers in line.

I've had lots of fun playing on rage the past few weeks that I started playing there and hope it stays up for a long time!
                      "If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

Comment

Working...
                      X