Death Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Match

Is no one interested in non mod'd dm game play?
    I can find no servers with clients runing 'vanila' style matches
    and maps. Same goes w/q2 and 3.

I've done some 'rune' quaking, just to get my feet wet since coming back, but jesuz;

I'm getting my hat handed to me left and right, mostly cuz I'm pausing to try and see wtf rune I picked up and how to use it. The more I play, the more I realize how...over the top(for lack of a better term) it is. It's like there's a point where the game play is too fast, because the elements are making it so that each player is able to frag eachother inside of one or two presses of the fire button.

Like q3/4 insta gibs, but more complex, ergo not as cool.

So I'm fishing for opinions, but I do have a question.

If I was to invest the time into runing a standard DM server off one of my two yr old laptops, do you think anyone would visit it?

-b

Greetings my fellow americans, this is your Canadian and I approve this message
    I'm all for non-mod'd dm (I play LAN whenever I can).

Comment

Originally posted by BONOGUN View Post
      Is no one interested in non mod'd dm game play?
      I can find no servers with clients runing 'vanila' style matches
      and maps. Same goes w/q2 and 3.

I've done some 'rune' quaking, just to get my feet wet since coming back, but jesuz;

I'm getting my hat handed to me left and right, mostly cuz I'm pausing to try and see wtf rune I picked up and how to use it. The more I play, the more I realize how...over the top(for lack of a better term) it is. It's like there's a point where the game play is too fast, because the elements are making it so that each player is able to frag eachother inside of one or two presses of the fire button.

Like q3/4 insta gibs, but more complex, ergo not as cool.

So I'm fishing for opinions, but I do have a question.

If I was to invest the time into runing a standard DM server off one of my two yr old laptops, do you think anyone would visit it?

-b
      I know I would if the pings were reasonable.

My feelings are similar to yours. I'm in no way a n00b when it comes to FPS and have been playing Quake and others for years. My experience mainly comes from LAN or bot play on small FFA maps.

Unfortunately, my Quake-playing spurts have been random and I've not played many nor am I very good at the popular mods.

I'd love a basic DM server where some of us returning players could play some simple FFA matches. Otherwise, I'm somewhat lost when playing on modded servers with veterans simply because I don't know the maps, rules, or strategies.

Comment

alright then :d

sometime before the weekend, I'll look into what I gotta do
        to set up a basic full version dm ffa server on my lappy.
        There's some info on how to do that within this site isnt'
        there?
        Thought I remember breezin past somthin'

-b

btw...
        the server would be located central Virginia u.s.
        to give u an idea wht pings might be like.

Comment

FYI the euroquake server (bigfoot.quake1.net) can be setup just the way u like it.. every option is votable so u can have vannilla quake / rune quake / rocket arena (or any combination) with hook or without hook etc etc.. and it has over 130 maps on there

i guess the only downside to USA based players is the ping.. but ask anyone who has played on it from the USA and they will probably say its still very playable.

(for the moment just dont vote for maps: "death" and "base32b" becouse there is a different version on the server then is in the mappack but that should be sorted out eventually)
          Last edited by =peg=; 01-16-2007, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by =peg= View Post
            but ask anyone who has played on it from the USA and they will probably say its still very playable.
            Don't make me kick your rear end peg!
            Last edited by Canadian*Sniper; 01-16-2007, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Go for QuakeWorld, those are highly-optimized "vanillish" deathmatch.
              Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Working...
              X