X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooperative Servers?

There are 2 cooperative servers that I know of:

1. fvf.servequake.com

It doesn't require a download, but has an optional download to add extra skins for other classes of characters. The optional skin download and more information about the mod are available at:

Future Vs. Fantasy Page

The admin at this server is Gunter.

2. coop.runequake.com:26003

This server runs a slightly differentiated version of RuneQuake and requires no download. The forum for this server is at:

RQ Coop Mod Forum

As far as I can tell, the great thing about these servers is that in addition to being coop servers, lesser skilled players can have fun without getting owned.

The Question

Are there any other servers that run cooperative? In particular, are there any QuakeWorld servers that run cooperative, say, with custom maps?

If there are, please let us know. If there aren't, why not? I just wonder this because there are 216 Quakeworld servers in North America and at any given time about 211 to 215 of them are empty.

I think a coop server running custom single player maps would be a great thing (and it seems to me that only Quakeworld would make sense due to the map download, although I could be wrong)

[... and of course I'm referring to custom maps that don't require a special progs.]
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

www.quakeservers.net/?p=servers&d=coop

This is only searching hostname for coop, there could be more. BTW I often find a dozen or so North American QW servers in use, don't know what you are doing wrong in that regard.
    #Quake1

Comment

I checked out those servers, all 3 were running the standard ID maps.

It would be cool if a server ran custom coop maps. I think most have us have played single player on the standard maps more than enough times.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Baker; Marcher Fortress on Nightmare coop perhaps? =D
        Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Gunter occasionally runs some custom maps on FVF. They're pretty cool - you get the maps from his site, I think.

It doesn't happen very often, though.

Comment

If REGISTERED FVF is still there, all they ever play are custom maps, monsters, and skins.

Comment

Gunter runs the IKS maps if you ask him and everyone on the server has them.

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                Baker; Marcher Fortress on Nightmare coop perhaps? =D
                That has it's own progs.dat and requires a beefed-up Quake client. Someone would probably have to rework the source to be "public server-friendly" and if it were on a Quakeworld server, although I'm not a Quake-C programmer, it would probably require serious changes to the source to compile.

[That's why I suggested general custom maps that are standalone, like rpg32, sm82, and such. There is a good stockpile of custom single player maps that don't have special monsters and such.]

Comment

Baker; I dont see why you couldnt just do it in Darkplaces... just run the binary with -game marcher and start a coop game, and changelevel to marcher itself.

DP even searches out the servers anyways... True one of the players would theoretically be hosting (though not necessarily), but Ive played mods in DP online with other people various times.
                  Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                    Baker; I dont see why you couldnt just do it in Darkplaces... just run the binary with -game marcher and start a coop game, and changelevel to marcher itself.

DP even searches out the servers anyways... True one of the players would theoretically be hosting (though not necessarily), but Ive played mods in DP online with other people various times.
                    Sometime I'll might start a thread about the collective years of experience the server operators from Widomaker, Singed, IHOC, Beatdown, Shmack and other have noticed about what it takes to have a successful server over the years.

There are interesting things that make or break a server's popularity, and if you have a popular server.

I'll confess I don't know enough Darkplace's server capabilities (does it do map download like Quakeworld?), but I can say that the thought is with a permanent server in mind, not an end user hosted one. The kind that can be count on 24/7 to be available.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                      I checked out those servers, all 3 were running the standard ID maps.

It would be cool if a server ran custom coop maps. I think most have us have played single player on the standard maps more than enough times.
                      I found a couple that run the mission packs in this list:

www.quakeservers.net/?p=servers&t=misc

Perhaps try finding out who admins the servers and suggest this to them.
                      Last edited by vb-; 03-20-2006, 11:05 PM.
                      #Quake1

Comment

Originally posted by vb-
                        I found a couple that run the mission packs in this list:

www.quakeservers.net/?p=servers&t=misc

Perhaps try finding out who admins the servers and suggest this to them.
                        I think it would be good if there were coop servers where someone could try some different than the usual single player coop.

Which ones were running mission packs? That is something that most people haven't tried.

Comment

Working...
                        X