Does QuakeOne need a Wiki?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does QuakeOne need a Wiki?

One of the 3 or 4 major goals of this site when conceived was solving people's Quake issues and that has been a resounding success.

The questions that come up any more tend to be more obscure or narrow in nature, instead of 5 alarm fires where someone simply can't play due to a very big problem.

Lately it seems like certain things keep coming up again and again of a more technical nature.

Some examples:

1. Detailed information on how to setup a server (Windows or Linux).

2. Detailed information on mods. CAx features, setup, administration. CRMOD features, setup, administration. Yada yada.

3. Technical information on the different engines -- not from a developer point of view, but from a user's point of view. Like what can engine X do, what can engine X not do, what weaknesses does engine X have, etc.

4. Maybe compiling Quake on Linux.

There might be other examples.

The reason I bring this idea up is that there are questions that will come up over and over again that do not mesh well with a forum-style help resource, but the information should be stored somewhere for everyone's benefit and for editing contributions.

Does a user-contributed Wiki sound like a good idea for the types of information this Quake community needs or do you think it would go unused?

[There is a Quake Wiki by the developer community, but it focuses on technical specifications, history, QuakeC/engine characteristics and modding. This type of wiki would have a very narrow focus on recurring topics that come up here that no other community would have much interest in (server setup, mod administration, proper server promotion, etc.) and would serve more as a living manual/living tutorial for things of importance.]
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Why not just improve the current Quake Wiki?

http://wiki.quakesrc.org/

Comment

Because as Baker said, that wiki has more to do with developing rather than setting up Qrack or JoeQuake, making a config and joining a 3wav ctf game...

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Comment

Welcome to the Quake Wiki. The new focus of this site, formerly the FrikQCC Wiki, will be to catalog and explain virtually everything to do with Quake 1. If it has to do with Quake 1, it will (eventually) be in here.
        Hell, I might add-on to this

RecentChanges

January 24, 2007
        • (diff) zonestring 7:33 pm [New page.] ... LordHavoc
        • (diff) tempstring 7:29 pm [New page.] ... LordHavoc
        • (diff) DP_QC_UNLIMITEDTEMPSTRINGS 7:21 pm [New page.] ... LordHavoc
        • (diff) QSG Extensions 6:42 pm ... LordHavoc

January 20, 2007
        • (diff) Engines 4:35 pm ... mh
        • (diff) MHQuake 4:34 pm ... mh
        Looks like people still use this

Anyways I don't want to flame Baker on his idea because it is a good one but I think it would be best if we continue with this wiki because it already has a lot of information on it
        Last edited by Canadian*Sniper; 01-27-2007, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper View Post
          Anyways I don't want to flame Baker on his idea because it is a good one but I think it would be best if we continue with this wiki because it already has a lot of information on it
          Yeah, but the thought driving my post wasn't "Let's start a wiki" but rather to address specific problems.

The proposed Wiki isn't the "goal" -- it would be the tool to obtain the goal.

The goal: A living manual for specific topics.

I don't think the Quake Wiki people would appreciate what we'd have to do to their Wiki to make it fit the objectives of this.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Do not overestimate Wiki. You will be the only person working on it.
            I say just use "the" Quake Wiki too, if you manage to integrate the stuff in a nice way.
            Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
              Do not overestimate Wiki. You will be the only person working on it.
              A concern, that's for sure. But if the goal is author+ environment where small additions/corrections could be convenient added ....

This would be something with very modest goals. An example would be very precise instructions on how to break-in a Linux server which might need small tweaks.

Another example might be very precise instructions on how to compile a mod or make specific modifications.

Agonizingly complex things like this come up with some frequency and almost always require the real-time attention of 5 or 6 individuals.

Comment

Well allthough i think this might be a good idea, i think a lot of questions needn't be asked in the first place.. if only ppl would just look a litle further befor posting a question (myself included obviously ) they would find a lot of those questions answered in either the guides or forums.. in general ppl r just lazy.. and popping a question is just easier then doing a litle searching for the answer.. (in the same way that it is easier to vote for dm6 instead of downloading a missing custom map)

I don't think a quakewiki as such will really change that.. it might tho.. worth a shot i guess

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                  There is a Quake Wiki by the developer community, but it focuses on technical specifications, history, QuakeC/engine characteristics and modding.
                  This is because it is contributed to by technicians, Quake historians, QuakeC coders, engine coders, and general modders. If you want it to have more content, add to it, its already there, just add an article. That is the entire point of a wiki. If it is relevant to Quake no one will have a problem with it.

Multiple Quake wikis will just make it that much harder to find information in general for anyone new. It would be easy enough to update the frontpage of the Quake Wiki with common problem troubleshooting and getting started info that people add, along with what is already there.
                  Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Yupp, I just added the information how to start the missionpacks some days ago.
                    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow View Post
                      This is because it is contributed to by technicians, Quake historians, QuakeC coders, engine coders, and general modders. If you want it to have more content, add to it, its already there, just add an article. That is the entire point of a wiki. If it is relevant to Quake no one will have a problem with it.

Multiple Quake wikis will just make it that much harder to find information in general for anyone new. It would be easy enough to update the frontpage of the Quake Wiki with common problem troubleshooting and getting started info that people add, along with what is already there.
                      I'm still thinking ...

Comment

bah, is =peg= voting fo dm6 again
                        Yet I still beat you more easily than a hammer can beat a fresh batch of Rowntree's fruit jelly.
                        The 300pingGOD ( july '98 )

Comment

lol n1 verbs

Comment

Working...
                          X