Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GLQuake(s) Don't Work With Windows Vista?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLQuake(s) Don't Work With Windows Vista?

A few months ago, someone that frequently played -- I can't remember the player's name, I think it was IOV-EFESS -- said GLPRO (ProQuake OpenGL version) doesn't work in Vista and that the only GLish Quake he could get to work was Direct3D Quake (which is crappy compared to ProQuake, and the render is iffy too).

And I've read in some Quakeworld forums issues with OpenGL and Quakeworld clients like ezQuake (thread) with Vista.

I wonder if Windows Vista is going to be the killer of Quake. You would still be able to use WinQuake-style clients, but it would probably take a huge rewrite to make GLQuake clients into DirectX clients and work out all of the bugs.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Pff, why switch to Vista anyways? Seriously.
    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

hopefully someone will find the answer before the world converts.

Comment

Originally posted by L3ftisM View Post
        the answer
        dualboot

Comment

I could test some of that out. My dads computer has windows vista ultimate.

Bit-Torrented of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
            I could test some of that out. My dads computer has windows vista ultimate.

Bit-Torrented of course.
            I'm reporting you to Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
              Bit-Torrented of course.
              Wow, you are so cool.
              Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Xp > All

Comment

I ran qrack on my uncles machine with windows vista RC1 on it, jsut had to tick the xp compatibility mode box
                  e|------------------------0---------------
                  B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                  G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                  D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                  A|---------------0------------------------
                  E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Seriously, what's so "OH!" about Vista? I will stick with my XP that runs 98% of the games I play and the programs I use.

Comment

nothing. vista is complete bs. Its just that when I'm at my uncles house who is running vista rc1 on his spare machine, I had to find a way to quake.
                      e|------------------------0---------------
                      B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                      G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                      D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                      A|---------------0------------------------
                      E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Baker: If you ever contact that person again, can you ask them to check DarkPlaces?
                        16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                        16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

ask Dave aka Spoon , he just installed Vista the other night.
                          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                            I wonder if Windows Vista is going to be the killer of Quake. You would still be able to use WinQuake-style clients, but it would probably take a huge rewrite to make GLQuake clients into DirectX clients and work out all of the bugs.
                            I don't understand...can't the opengl libraries be ported to vista? If they are not already, don't you think someone will at some point? Or is vista completely GL-non-friendly?
                            "If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

Comment

Dunno.

But if it is a clustermess to get GLQuake equivalents to run on Vista, what percentage of ppl will want to mess with it?

I don't know the answers or have any firsthand knowledge.
                              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                              X