The age-old question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The age-old question

How does 'gibs' roll off your tongue? G as in Grit or G as in Vegetarian?

IMHO it's a hard G. Some of those 3drealms posers even went as far as to SPELL it 'jibs'...
    Guh
    75.00%
    Juh
    25.00%

Jibs sounds like a new mild spicy chicken gizzards meal at KFC.

Gibs sounds like chunks of flesh being forcefully torn apart in an explosion.

If you vote for Jibs I am going to GIB you and you can't "Jib" me back because I dont like chicken gizzards.
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

its nice not to be alone

Comment

gib, as in girl.... definately
        Inside3D - Wocka-Wocka-Wocka

Comment

Jibs, being as how gibbing (phonetically speaking) doesnt roll off the tongue at all, and we have the actual world giblets which is in reference to real flesh that is ripped off (and consumed!)

That and I was listening to one of those fps radio shows in Realplayer back in 97 (hey remember in 97 when games had creative communities that did stuff like that?) and they had a gamedev on there and he said "jibs".
          Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Yeah, I believe I saw Romero say that it was supposed to be "jib" as in giblet.

But... I've always said gib and I like it so much more. That's where my vote goes.

Comment

Jib because there are less votes there

Comment

gib because jibs are for those different stupid thinking duke heads that hate quake so much. fuck em. quake > duke3d!!1!!1 also quake2 > dnf yeah cant wait to play that this christmas on my p100.

Comment

a JIB is a mouth.

QUIT RUNNIN YOUR JIB !
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I always pronounced it "JIB" short for Jibblett.
                    Chuck

Comment

I've always said GIB (JIB) because of GIBLETS (JIBLETS), as in chicken or something.

Comment

Jib? I think all of your mouths are broken, even Carmacks.

Ga-hibs

I'm a hardcore uaker, not a hardcore cuacker,

Are you going to get "Jibbed"? or are you going to get "Gibbed"?

Maybe we should make the F in Frag silent now to. and then we can all run around saying "Go rag yourself!"

Or how about we just start making words up that sound funny like peralol and give it funny meanings like "It means when you jump over a fiend" or some BS like that.

To me Jibs just doesn't sound right.
                        Gibs on the other hand sounds 100% legit. Because theres a G starting it off, not a J. Hmmm..

the english language has many little twists like this. For instance the name Gary has a hard G, the name George has a soft G, they both have vowls after the G so maybe that clarifies it, OH WAIT. what about the word Gather? thats a hard G. Gibs = Gibs. Jibs = Jibs. Hmmm anyways I rest my case.
                        QuakeOne.com
                        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

giblets - (jblts) didnt paste correctly on the pronunciation key but you get the idea

n : edible viscera of a fowl

Something tells me that they named it after the chunks of a dead animal, unless of course you mean the actual word Gib (gib), in which case your rocket just turned them into a male castrated cat?

id pronounces it that way, there is a word with that similar pronunciation correlating to what is actually going on, I have feeling that is correct.

But if you want to turn your foes into male castrated cats, go on, Im gonna rip their fucking torsos asunder, personally.
                          Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

It's jibs.

The source word being Giblets:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=giblets

Although, all this time I thought it was gibs... this has given me the jibbiles...
                            "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

Ah, I didn't know there was a page 2...
                              "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

Working...
                              X