Odd Quake Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Quake Facts

One of the weirdest things I learned about Quake last year was when playing with around Worldcraft and messing around with making some Quake maps, I discovered there are actually 2 types of Ogres in Quake.

Quake has regular Ogres and "Ogre Marksmen" that are Ogres with better aim. Funny, I never noticed any ogres with better aim.

Another thing is that the damage per nail from the regular nail gun is different than the super nail gun. The nail gun does 9 damage per nail, the super nail gun does 18 damage per nail. Originally I guess ID wanted to make the super nail gun shoot a lot more nails per second, but that idea didn't pan out too well so they just made the nails more damaging.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

i know another odd fact...

WHEN YOU HAVE RING...YOU DONT BLINK!
    I'm back, and better

Comment

Im gonna steal a line from FrikaC and say

*scar3crow hits Baker with an item_deathball

Yes, Quake had an item deathball, and a jetpack, and a dragon, and a creature called a vomitus (I still wanna see what the vomitus was to be).

Quake was once upon a time going to be similar to Daikatana, only centered around the Mjolnir as your primary weapon and the central plot point in the world. Oh and an RPG.

id did not foresee rocketjumping.

If you jump from the second to bottom stair on dm4 you will pickup the quad silently as the player landing sound plays on the same channel and overrides it.

Ogres originally fired nails, but were too easy, then rockets, but were too hard, then grenades, and were juuussst right!
      Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

The Perforator does double damage but eats up double ammo. They could have made it fire twice as fast but I'm pretty sure they were being nice to people to couldn't get above 20 fps. Also lag.

The ogre marksmen aren't any more accurate, they just don't roar when they see you.

One of the mods had the vomitus, was it Nehahra? You can see why it was cut, it was even less artistically impressive than the tarbaby in that it didn't seem to move, although it was a fun enemy. Plus the sounds were nasty (in a good way).

Comment

I think the vomitus was intended to be the pain elemental of Quake spitting out spawns.

I guess the entity packet overflows didn't work out too well for it so they cut it.

And yes, the super nailgun (super perforator) originally spat out a large SPREAD of nails.

Comment

I prefer the Vomitus concept I mentioned in #darkplaces earlier
            Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Give the old shareware version of quake a try sometime. It doesn't contain all of that but is different than the final version.

Anyone remember my spike shooting (sometimes rocket firing) zombies that circle-strafed to avoid your line of site? That pissed some people off, but was funny as hell.
              Chuck

Comment

I always used the ogre marksmen when I wanted to put an ogre on a ledge, I thought they had better grenade aim from a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck
                  Give the old shareware version of quake a try sometime. It doesn't contain all of that but is different than the final version.

Anyone remember my spike shooting (sometimes rocket firing) zombies that circle-strafed to avoid your line of site? That pissed some people off, but was funny as hell.
                  Those zombies were sweet. I remember that and I loved em!

Comment

If you have the FVF mod, try playing E4M3 on nightmare as a Wasteland Warrior.

Make sure you have Godmode on, and go into the graveyard. Get all the zombies to come out and into one area.

Then type in

impulse 9

to get all the weapons.

THEN type in

cells 9999999999999

and fire the Nuk. When it explodes, the multiple zombie "death" sounds crash the sound system for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by gamefreak
                      i know another odd fact...

WHEN YOU HAVE RING...YOU DONT BLINK!
                      Yes, but doesnt that make perfect sense? If all of your body is gone excluding your eyes, wouldnt the skin-film that covers your eyes (eyelid) be gone as well?

Quake was originally the player name, and you had a soul-cube like device that would hover around you, it originally was to be in VGA graphics as a sidescroller, and you apparently had a warhammer.
                      "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Surprised I havn't seen this one, but Decafitated Heads are 2-3 times their normal size

Comment

Heres a few wacky factoids I remember hearing about Quake1

**a moment where you had to take the severed head of an enemy/corpse/comrade and throw it into an abyss to appease some dark elder god. (Cut due to time constraints and pressure from multiple sources citing it was too twisted and satanic.)

**Rudimentary ragdoll physics (Carmack said that the project was too ambitious already what with TCP/IP code and bsp lighting to be attempting that)

**Realtime shadows (Though I never remember any id officials mentioning this. It was probably something fabricated by eager journalists after seeing how natural and free flowing the light appeared to be)

**Following are All Quoted statments by Id Developers in a PC Gamer preview article, Sept/Oct 1995**

A 3.5 inch floppy version of Quake

True-color (24-bit) Quake

playability on a 486/DX machine

I guess it "played" on a 468, in the same way as Ray Charles could apply for a driver's license.

Comment

I never ran Quake on a 486, but I once did run it on a rare Pentium that actually had Windows 3.1 on it. It ran a lot faster than on the newer versions of Windows. A *lot* faster.
                            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

it's probably a Pentium pro 166, which i've used before, RAN QUAKE SMOOTHLY AT 360x480
                              Running it in pure DOS doesn't bring the speed much faster either, so it's NOT the operating system.

Comment

Working...
                              X